• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Document is not licensed for this device type.

Aug 31, 2010 Aug 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ordered an eTextbook from McGraw-Hill, downloaded Adobe Digital Editions, and used the link provided by the publisher to download the eTextbook link file.  When I open the file I get this error message in Adobe Digital Editions: "Document is not licensed for this device type."

I'm running Windows 7 Professional.

What do I need to do here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

This error means that the book is limited to viewing on a single device, and your the computer you are trying to view it on isn't it.   If the error is in error then you need to talk to McGraw-Hill, so you can redownload the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error means that the book is limited to viewing on a single device, and your the computer you are trying to view it on isn't it.   If the error is in error then you need to talk to McGraw-Hill, so you can redownload the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, will contact them in the morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 01, 2010 Sep 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - here's the issue.

When I downloaded Adobe Digital Editions I authorized my computer with my Adobe Account - apparently I wasn't supposed to do that.  McGraw-Hill said that their file would ONLY work if the computer was not authorized with an Adobe Account (they should have said so after the order).

So after de-authorizing the account (ctrl+shift+d) I tried to open up the .acsm file again and I got a new error: e_lic_already_fulfilled_by_another_user.  I'm afraid that the license was used up by Adobe Account, never mind that it actually never downloaded.

I guess the next step is to try and get another license issued?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 02, 2010 Sep 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

McGraw-Hill gave you bad advice here.   There is no way for them to know if you are authorized or not.   The problem is as I described it - the license in the content is locked to a device that is the one that you are viewing it on.

Since removing the authorization on the device (deactivating) will change the device id, by telling you to deauthorize, they guarenteed that the content would no longer be viewable.

So yes, the next step is to get them to issue you a new download link (with a new transaction id).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a call from McGraw-Hill the morning and they reissued a license and everything worked out OK.  It was fine for me to deauthorize as I had no prior content on Adobe Digital Editions, but I can't imagine people that had content on digital editions only to be told it's either your content or your textbook.

I'm a little surprised McGraw-Hill doesn't let you tie in the book with your Adobe Account.  Figuring that out is not intuitive and is not marked on their website when ordering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm a little surprised McGraw-Hill doesn't let you tie in the book with  your Adobe Account."

I hope it is was just a misunderstanding either on your part, or on the part of tech support person at McGraw-Hill.  However I'll say this again - the above statement is completely false (it is not something that McGraw-Hill has control over).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The two techs I talked to were 100% clear about it not working with an Adobe Account.  I don't know if they have something special in their licensing agreements with Adobe or if they were intentionally misleading me, but it worked once I was deauthorized.

It's not an issue for me, but those techs were VERY clear in what they told me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could I get the names of the techs (you can PM if you prefer)?  What they are saying is dangerous and bad for their customers, and I would like to get this percolating up and down the appropriate communication chains, so that we can get McGraw Hill's tech support appropriately informed.

(but I'm glad it's worked out for you so far).

--

Thanks,

Jim Lester

Lead Engineer - Digital Publishing

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, I didn't write down the names as they seemed helpful.

They were pretty adamant about only being able to use the textbook on one computer, so it could be a flaw in their training or manuals and worth pointing out to them anyways.

I do have my case numbers for this issue, and could PM those to you if you'd like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines