Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AFP won't allow me to "allow" or "deny" webcam

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2010 Aug 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the following issue and was wondering whether I could receive some help. I have read through quite a few threads on this forum and tried a solution but it hasn't worked. The problem is that I whenever I try to use my webcam on a website, the AFP dialog box pops up asking me to "allow" or "deny" access to that particular website. However I can't click on yes or no because the dialog box itself freezes. The browser does not freeze as I can navigate to other parts of the website (for example, "Home"). I have tried going on to the website using different browsers but it hasn't helped.

I have tried to uninstall and re-install AFP. I have used the following procedure to uninstall and re-install  AFP:

1) Download the uninstaller to desktop

2) Close all programs (including any programs in the system tray - such yahoo/msn messenger)

3) Run the uninstaller program

4) re-boot the computer

5) checked on the following page to see if the AFP had uninstalled; http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

6) Downloaded and installed the latest version of AFP (version 10.1.82.76)

7) Restarted my computer

The above hasn't worked for me. I have checked that all my drivers are up to date for my webcam and all other hardware.

I have turned off my firewall and anti-virus but this hasn't worked. I have tried to access the hardware accelerator settings for AFP but the box keeps freezing so I can't do it. The only way I am able to get around the box is if I go to the global settings manager for AFP and click on the website and state "always allow". 

System information:

Operating system - Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit

Web browser - Firefox 3.6.8, Internet Explorer 8, Google Chrome 5.0.375.127

Adobe Flash Player - version 10.1.82.76

Firewall/Anti-virus: Zone Alarm Extreme Security Version 9.3.014.000

Webcam: Vimicro USB 2.0 UVC PC Camera

The same problem occurs for me on all three web browsers.

Any help would be much appreciated. I hope I have given enough information.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 22, 2010 Aug 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well you have done everything that I can see correctly, good job:-) I'm impressed.  I don't use a webcam, so I'll take a look at the Global Settings. It could be that you may need to select the websites that you want to allow. Or it could be a setting is such that you wanted to be asked each time. Not sure on that.

Also that it is freezing when you try to select allow/deny and also when trying to Uncheck the hardware acceleration. You may want to go to this Adobe test site and when you see the Adobe logo animate, right click on Settings and then on Display Settings you can Uncheck it.

This is the Global Setting website:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager02.html

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2010 Aug 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb (cool name - blondie backwards?)

Thank you for your swift reply and compliment. For AFP I use the setting that I want to be asked each time I visit a site which requires webcam to prompt whether to deny or allow it access. Up until now it has been fine, I have been able to press either allow or deny. But now the actual box keeps freezing so it won't allow me to click anything within the box. The only way I have found around this is using the global settings manager.

"You may want to go to this Adobe test site and when you see the Adobe logo animate, right click on Settings and then on Display Settings you can Uncheck it."

The above works for Google Chrome only which I don't mind at all. I have read on other forums that Adobe will be releasing a patch out to fix flahsplayer. They have already released an update for Adobe reader (9.3.4) which I have installed. Hopefully, they will be a fix for the flashplayer soon.

Thanks for your help. It has been very much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 23, 2010 Aug 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. Oh, yeah my "moniker" LOL  Well, since the cause of this freezing can be several things, I think we need to try to determine when you first noticed it and what change happened at that time and in what order.

But before we get into that, Using IE, go to Tools, manage add ons and Toolbars & Extensions. Look for Shockwave Flash Object...ActiveX Control...Flash10i.ocx and make sure it is listed that way and Enabled.

Then go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash  Open Flash and post back all files listed and right click on the NPSWF files and then click on Properties in order to obtain the version numbers.

For the other non-IE browsers, look in plugins for the SWF vs 10.1.82.76 and make sure it is Enabled.

We want to confirm that Flash Player is Installed correctly along with the required Controls and then we have the right basis to proceed.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2010 Sep 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the extremely slow response to your last post.

I have done what you said. I went to IE, manage add ons, toolbar and extensions and ensured the shockwave flash object was enabled and listed the way you described. I have copied and pasted it below:

Name:                   Shockwave Flash Object

Publisher:              Adobe Systems Incorporated

Type:                     ActiveX Control

Version:                10.1.82.76

File date:             

Date last accessed:     04 September 2010, 16:30

Class ID:               {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}

Use count:              182

Block count:            0

File:                   Flash10i.ocx

Folder:                 C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

The files listed in the following folder for C:\Windows\System32|Macromed\Flash are:
  • FlashPlayerTrust
  • Flash10i.ocx
  • Flash Install
  • Flashplayer.xpt
  • FlashUtil10i_ActiveX.dll
  • FlashUtil10i_ActiveX
  • FlashUtil10i_Plugin
  • install
  • NPSWF32.dll

I don't have NPSWF files as such within that folder, just "NPSWF32.dll". When I right click this and go in to properties it doesn't give me any version numbers.

Apologies once again for the late reply. Many thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 04, 2010 Sep 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, no problem on reply time, I get behind also:-) Thanks for the Flash file info, and they are all correct. The Shockwave Flash Object being enabled is how it must be. You didn't say that you used FF and checked for the SWF vs 10.1.82.76 to make sure it was Enabled. I'm sure it is otherwise FF wouldn't be working.

I'm surprised that right clicking on that NPSWF32.dll file didn't give you vs info under Properties. I'll have to check mine now:-) I just simple meant any Flash files listed there that had the NPSWF(FF or non-IE) instead of the ActiveX(IE)

Now, back to the Settings. I don't know why when the option setting comes up on a website that the allow/deny freezes.

It could be that after a new version of Flash Player is Installed that the Global Settings need selected again and that once they are selected then the websites will reflect those new Settings. I think you might try to do that and see if there is any improvement. Also, the Website Storage Settings Panel works with the Global Settings Panel. It is complicated I think.

I usually need to read them a couple of times.

Let me know if that works,

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2010 Sep 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your swift response. I forgot to mention that I also went to FF and checked to see whether SWF version 10.1.82.76 was enabled. I went to "tools" "add-ons" "plug-ins". I also manually check to see whether the plug-ins are up to date in FF now and then and everything was up to date.

I went back to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash and right clicked on NPSWF32.dll and clicked on the details tab (duh!). I got the following file version number: 10.1.82.76. The product version was the same. I think I was right clicking on the actual flash folder.

I have tried fiddling around with the global settings manager in FF but it still doesn't seem to work. I am using Google Chrome at the moment because it works perfectly fine there. I saw on another thread there was a link for adobe shockwave player version 11.5.8.612

http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/

would it help if I download and install this? Or am I completely off the track?

I only started getting this problem when I upgraded FF to 3.6.8. At the same time, I had to download and install upgrade to Zone Alarm as well. Otherwise it was working perfectly fine up until then. On the FF forums a lot of users think the problem relates to AFP and not FF itself.

Your help is much appreciated.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2010 Sep 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Everything you have checked and done is fine. I just recently Installed FF, first time. However because I'm on this side of the fence(helping users) I chose FF vs 3.6.3. I know I live dangerously:-) FF 3.6.8 and Flash Player 10.1 are not playing very well together, several issues. FF made some changes and have isolated Flash Player, Quicktime and Silverlight so they crash instead of the entire FF browser.

Take a look in your task manager, and see if you have a plugin-container.exe running. Let me know on that.

Also, you said you can't UNcheck the hardware acceleration. Go to this test site and right click on the Flash logo, Settings, Display Settings and see if that works: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ 

No, Installing Shockwave Player would't have any bearing on the issue you are having.

Since Chrome is working fine, I would compare the add ons that you have in IE and FF(include plugins, extensions and anything by any name that is Installed in the browser) that you DON'T have in the Chrome browser. That may give you a clue.

Since you upgraded Zone Alarm, is there any new add on in any of the browsers?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2010 Sep 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Apologies for the late response once again. Good news. AFP is working in FF.

What happnened was that FF released a version update once again (3.6.9.) so I downloaded and installed this hoping it may fix the AFP issue. During the installation, Zone Alarm asked me if I wish to deny or allow "plugin-container.exe" which I allowed. I believe this was the problem beforehand as I remember that I may have pressed deny accidentally when I was installing FF v 3.6.8. So the problem has been resolved now. The dialog box is not freezing up anymore and I am able to use it freely within FF. I don't think the version update had anything to do it....it was just my firewall I believe.

Thank you for your all help eidnolb. Adobe should recognise your efforts on this forum and reward you accordingly!

Kind regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2010 Sep 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Troubleshooting is like trying to find a needle in a haystack, right? LOL  I'm always amazed computers work at all:-)

Hats off to the Microsofts, the Apples, the Adobes and all of the others that do all they do, so I don't mind a glitch here and there.

You are probably correct about the allow/deny selection for Zone Alarm. I used it at one time and I had a hard time with it due to not understanding what an allow or deny would do:-) Glad you were able to see that.

The FF vs 3.6.9 from what I have read was all about Security. I was over there late last night reading. Link here:

http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox36.html#firefox3.6.9

Also, here is some additional info and it covers the DLL preloading attack that is going on:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/smb/security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=227400031&cid=nl_IW_SMB...

Microsoft came out on 8/23 on the latter link.

Thanks for the appreciation:-)  There are many other volunteers on the other Adobe Forums as well and I'm sure they are all appreciated. Many have been on the other Forums for a very long time. I'm always amazed at the number of posts they have accumulated over the years! Very Hi-Tech people over there!

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines