Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 5 Software Simulation Captures Blank Screens

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2010 Sep 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Our organization recently upgraded from captivate 4 to captivate 5 so that we can create web based training for our hospital's electronic medical record system. However, every time I and a colleague try to capture the screens for the software simulation, captivate 5 annotates the callouts for a blank slide. We have tried to uninstall/reinstall captivate 5 several times yet I'm not sure how to make the background graphic appear. In captivate 4 we are able to record an application window fine. Is there a setting or something that I need to set in order to make the images appear for a software demo? Any help on this would be appreciated!

What should be captured/displayed in captivate 5.

Epic.jpg

What comes across after recording in captivate 5. All the steps/clicks appear, but the background graphic does not.

Captivate 5 demo blank.jpg

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 02, 2010 Sep 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Since you mentioned that you upgraded from Adobe Captivate 4, I assume you are facing issues on windows.

1. Do you see the screenshots piled up under 'Backgrounds' section in library?

2. Go to the properties inspector of the slide. In the portion highlighted below, what do you see in your case?

1.PNG

3. Did you try recording on some other application such as MS Word or notepad?

4. Are you getting this issue on any different machine (on same application)?

-Manish

blogs.adobe.com/Captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2010 Sep 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem

The FMR's appear as white screens, I have tried recording on MS Internet Explorer, MS Word & Acrobat Reader with same results, only when clicking

Answering to M_Anand

1. The screenshots that appear are only the ones where the screen was still

2. The background portion is blank

3. MSIE, Word, Acrobat Reader

4. I'm trying Captivate 5 on a laptop with Windows XP with SP3, I do have another computer with Captivate 4 running on Windows Vista, this one is working fine, I can run the published projects on the laptop with XP, but if I try to open the .cp file Captivate 5 crashes.

Capivate 1.JPG

Capivate 2.JPGRegards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 07, 2010 Sep 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi EnnioFR,

Please try these steps:

1. Launch Captivate and press on 'Software Simulation' on the welcome screen.

2. Recording dialog comes up -> press 'Settings' button -> Preferences dialog comes up.

3. Goto Recording -> FMR.

4. Here in the working folder, set something such as : C:\TempFolder. Press the OK button.

Now go ahead with your recording workflow. Let us know whether this resolves your issue.

Sorry, but I did not get this part:

"I'm trying Captivate 5 on a laptop with Windows XP with SP3, I do have  another computer with Captivate 4 running on Windows Vista, this one is  working fine, I can run the published projects on the laptop with XP,  but if I try to open the .cp file Captivate 5 crashes." Does this mean that Cp5 crashes when you attempt to open a Cp4 file in it?

-Manish

blogs.adobe.com/captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually found out that the IT person that originally installed the software had the preferences pointing to a directory that only a person with Admin rights for our network would be able to access. As soon as I found the preferences I redirected both directories to my local machine and now the images come up perfectly. This may also be a solution if the FMRs are coming up blank check that the FMR directory is pointed to somewhere where you can access. Odd network error but I'm glad its resolved!

Captivatefix.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The working folder I had configured was under My Documents, but with a very long and strange name.

I tried changing the folder name to something more conventional and it worked  😃 

Thanks for the tip.

Capivate 3.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources