Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

replace blank with _ is ok, can umlaute (ä, ö) be also replaced in file names

Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2010 Sep 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I use RoboHelp 8 to import Word documents and generate a WebHelp output.

When importing the Word document all blanks are replaced automatically

by underscore _ , is it also possible to reclace automatically umlaute ä, ö?

If it is not possible to replace them automatically, is it possible to

do it with find - replace (the file name, not the topic title!)

thank you in advance

andreas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Hi Andreas.

Your options are to either replace the umlaute in the Word file before you import it (something that maybe too much trouble) or changing the topic properties inside RoboHelp. If you rename topics inside RoboHelp you'll be fine. It is only if topics are changed outside of RoboHelp that you'll run into trouble.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate
Sep 09, 2010 Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Andreas.

I can't find any Import options in RoboHelp to replace characters in file names. I think even the _ is not optional; RoboHelp does not allow spaces in file names at all.

The Find and Replace inside RoboHelp only affects words inside the files, not the filenames themselves.

I looked in the online help for Windows (my version is XP, but I think it applies to others). It has a Rename (ren) command that you can use to rename multiple files at a time, using wildcards (* for any character or group of characters). For example, you could type ren *ä* *a* to change ä to a in filenames and folders.

Take a look at your version of Windows help and see if this will work for you.

Elisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Elisa,

thank you for your time to supply an answer out of RoboHelp.

Isn' t it dangerous to change the html-file names? I think this will

lead to errors like 'missing links' ....

What's your or the forums opinion?

thank you in advance and best regards

Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andreas.

Your options are to either replace the umlaute in the Word file before you import it (something that maybe too much trouble) or changing the topic properties inside RoboHelp. If you rename topics inside RoboHelp you'll be fine. It is only if topics are changed outside of RoboHelp that you'll run into trouble.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done some drastic renaming of files, but then you need to make sure you do it everywhere where there's references to those files.

This assumes that you are comfortable editing the help project files manually.

I've been using FAR from http://www.helpware.net/ to do the more complicated Find/Replace jobs but my version has sometimes broken characters in some of the more exotic languages, using UTF-8 encoding.

What I'd try, using RH7: Find and replace all file names, find and replace the references inside all .htm, .hhc, .hhk and .hhp files (not using RoboHelp for this). Create the help project from scratch by opening the .hhp file in RoboHelp. Check project settings.

Better make a spare backup copy of the help project if you try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, why go to all that trouble when if you just stick to Colum's way you are safe? That's the beauty of a tool such as RoboHelp.

Seems like you are creating a lot of unnecessary work for yourself.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may depend on how many file names you need to change.

If you have 200 files with ä, ö, å. ü, etc. in the name... it may be faster to do it outside RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, okay I see your point.

However, in reading what you wrote it occurs to me that if these letters have been used in the file name, they might also be used elsewhere in general text, no? If you are performing a massive find and replace operation to substitute one letter with an underscore, what do you do to prevent regular text from the operation?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So maybe a combination? (And I apologize for not talking about the Find and Replace of the references to the changed filenames after changing the filenames outside of RoboHelp. I would have remembered to do so in real life...probably...)

• For small numbers of changes, Topic Properties in RoboHelp to change filenames - the filenames and the links are correct, but the titles and the text references keep their umlauts.

• For huge numbers of changes, the Windows rename command for the files themselves and then a FAR find-and-replace with inspection (i.e., replace next, not replace all) for the links.

And maybe an Adobe enhancement request for an option to convert import filenames to ASCII?

(I have a suspicion that this issue is going to come up on my project in the next year or so.)

Elisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp