Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Variables in hyperlink causing line breaks

Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

RoboHelp 8.0.2 - Win XP.

A colleague has created a sentence on a page, dropped two variables into the middle and then converted the sentence to a hyperlink which jumps to an link lower down the screen.

When previewed the sentence looks fine but when generated the sentence breaks across three lines where the variables start.

She's done the same thing on other pages and it looks fine when generated. What could be wrong with this page? I've checked the HTML and it looks the same as other pages to me.

Any help appreciated.

Nick.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say same thing on other pages but does that extend to same variables?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there something different about the topic, variable, bookmark or link. What happens if this topic is imported into a new project? Does it still behave like this? If we are talking about WebHelp output, does the same happen in different browsers?

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks chaps. It's a WebHelp output.

I've just tried to isolate the problem. I created a new page, repeated the process to put the hyperlink in and the problem still occured so it seems to be with the variable. I deleted the variable and re-created it and the sentence is no longer broken.

Wonder why the variable created the page break?

Anyway shall spend no longer worrying about it and put the experience down to RoboHelps ability to start acting weird when a deadline approaches (As all other software packages I touch seem to do).

Thanks for your time.

Nick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tend to find that with me the problem is this...

clueless user error.png

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha, like it. A twist on RTFM!

Wonder if I can incorporate that message in my online help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Just a speculation as to the why. Remember, RoboHelp 8 ushered in a cool new ability to format Variables so that they could be Hyperlinks and have other formatting.

Perhaps the variable was inadvertently edited so that it contained a line break.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I thought that too - but checked the HTML and there was no formatting at all.

Wonder if anyone uses formatted variables? When would you use them?

Nick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Nick

Here are some use cases.

When I facilitate a RoboHelp class, I usually recommend the following variables as a beginning.

Company Name

Company Acronym

Company URL

Perhaps you have a mandate that any time the Comany Name is used, it must appear in a specific font and in a specific color. (I used to work for a company where that was the case!) In this case you could format the company name as needed right from inside the Variable area.

Perhaps you want the Company URL to be clickable to actually visit the URL. In this case you could format the URL and options as needed right from inside the Variable area.

I'm sure there are other use cases as well.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp