Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 8 crashes while compiling

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a problem with RH 8.02.208. I've seen that it crashes when the compiler compiles one specific topic. When I exclude this topic from the compiler it successfully compiles the project.

I made a completely new topic and copied the text from the old (now excluded) topic in the new one. Compiling works. I updated all links to the new topic, compiling works.

Then I put the topic back to the TOC. It crashes again, so I think that the problem is not with the topic itself, but it is with the TOC. The topic is topic, which is used several times in the whole help. I have put it more than 30 times in different folders in the TOC. When I reduce the links to 28 it compiles and anything works well. It seems not important, where I put the link within the TOC.

Is there any limitation for the occurence of a single topic in the TOC?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english!

Michaela

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow Michaela. 30 times in the TOC is something I've never heard of before. Out of interest does it matter where in the TOC it is added the 29th time? Try it at different levels and let us know the results.

Out of interest, what is the reason you are using the same topic so many times in the TOC? Could it be handled in a better way? The reason I ask is that if a user searches I believe they are only taken to the first instance of the topic in the TOC when it is displayed. I'm sure Rick can also chime in with other issues.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is really often, I know. To explain it a little bit: We have several software modules where the printing function is identically. So I explained the printing function in one topic. I have a folder for every module in the TOC and in every folder I'have inserted the printing topic.

It doesn't matter where I put it the topic in (first level, second level, third level).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

One possible way to accomplish this would be to create as many topics as you need for each TOC entry point. Then insert an Inline Frame (IFRAME) in each of these topics to present the content of that single print topic.

This would actually help in two different ways.

1. It should correct the crashing issue.
  2. It should correct a TOC Synchronization issue (I'm guessing you haven't hit that one yet)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that one topic in the TOC 30 times is excessive, not only for performance, but as a less-than-user-friendly construct. If I, as a user, encounter a topic that seems very familiar, I might be tempted to go back and look at the previously viewed topic, and then spend time wondering if they are indeed the same or slightly different. All of which slows me down and causes me to have less confidence in the integrity of the help. Sorry, but that's the truth!

I suspect that this topic is probably some type of overview or procedural that is presented in multiple areas, based on functional or privilege areas.

It might be easier to turn that content into a snippet, and include that snippet in an existing topic in each of the areas in question. You might even find that, as you do this, you might actually need several snippets instead of one.

As to Rick's suggestion about IFrames, keep in mind that the content in an IFrame doesn't get printed when a user prints the topic (the space you reserved for it does, however).

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why I cannot fathom why anyone in their right mind would ever remotely consider such an underhanded, heinous and dastardly deed as killing a tree to view something clearly intended for presentation via phosphor dots that have been illuminted using recycled elctrons.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To save having to use electricity every time they want to read something. Once it's on paper, job done.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, ya got me there. So they print to paper the instructions for using the wonderful software package or web based application. Then they turn off the computer?

Your move...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No but they let it go on standby to reduce power consumption.

Two guys working with me kept finding I picked up things they had missed. I challenged them to print their work and review it. They both admitted they spotted much more than doing it on screen. So being serious, I believe there is still a need for printed output. As to the trees, managing growth is providing some people with jobs while still allowing the lumberjacks to work. Ain't all bad.

We cannot be as wasteful as we were but the paperless office still looks to be a long way off.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope this digression doesn't put the poster off coming back if the answers a few posts back haven't helped.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2010 Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

interesting discussion I have to admit - I'm printing too. Shame on me.

To the topic: Yes it helped me. I use snippets right now and its really better! Thanks a lot for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 13, 2010 Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  • If users can't take a little harmless banter to go with sparkling tutorial assistance, they're probably managers.
  • Actually, having authors (of all stripes) read aloud their deathless prose exposes their lapses even better than viewing hardcopy, and saves the planet!

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp