• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems since upgrading to Windows 7

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. We, as a company upgraded to Windows 7. Since then, I have had nothing but problems. When I have Windows Explorer open and RoboHelp, I constantly get that Windows Explorer has stopped working and is shutting down. I do not ever get this when i'm not working in RH. So yesterday I was making significant changes to my WebHelp project and I kept getting the Windows Explorer issue. Eventually, I gave up and I couldn't even close/exit my project. I had to End Task via Task Manager. Now when I open my project and attempt to generate, nothing happens. I can open another project and it works fine. My companies IT dept is getting quite tired of uninstalling/installing RH because of the registry problems it seems to produce on an ongoing basis.

Never had any problems until we rolled out Windows 2007. I have spent a significant amount of time trying to get my RH to work consistently. It is becoming my enemy. And I've been working with it for about 4 years now.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have branched this post into a new thread as it is not the same problem this post was attached to. There the user's problem was caused by using brackets in filenames so I cannot see a connection.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also moved it into the correct forum.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if this thread helps.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/675575?tstart=0

Adobe support RoboHelp 8 on Windows 7 32 bit. They do not support earlier versions or RoboHelp 8 on Windows 7 64 bit. You don't give information about what you are running.

I have just moved two machines to Windows 7 32 bit, both with RoboHelp 8. One machine that was recent and high spec would not upgrade so I had to do a full install. The other was still a good spec but not so high and that upgraded fine. Both are running RoboHelp 8 with no trouble. I don't use source control, the relevance of that will be obvious when you read the other thread.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit with no source control.

My RoboHelp is RH 8.0.2.208

We've done the uninstall/install numerous times. RH will work for awhile and then it either starts crashing, or nothing happens when i attempt to generate (whichever method used) or preview the project (i can preview pages just fine).

We are also going to start shopping other products for 2011.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did see that source control was not the only cause of crashing in that thread?

First you have tried the old standard of trashing the CPD for the project?

Second, have you tried working on the sample projects. You will find the samples at

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

or

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

Another thing worth a try is to ask IT to create a new profile for you. Don't let them immediately trash your existing one in case this doesn't help. You are going to lost all your program settings but the aim will be to see how RoboHelp runs. I have seen that fix problems so it's not a shot in the dark.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sorry, but my crystal ball is on the fritz and my telepathy skills are sub par. Therefore I cannot deduce what version of RoboHelp you are using.

To my knowledge, only version 8 will work properly with Windows 7. If your version is older than version 8 you will likely need to download and install the Microsoft Virtual Machine with XP Mode in order to allow RoboHelp to function properly. This runs an XP environment within Windows 7. You must also have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate. Home Premium doesn't allow you to use the virtual machine.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2010 Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick, Actually I'm having problems with crashing with RH8 HTML and Windows 7. I'm contacting Windows support now at my company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2010 Sep 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would sure like to hear what they say. I don't have anything else crashing for Windows 7, including other non-Windows apps, so i'm betting the issue is with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should only have deleted the CPD, deleting the XPJ will cause problems. See Opening Projects on my site. Assuming you backed up your project before trashing stuff, then you can recover things.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2010 Sep 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did back up my project. Actually, I've been zipping a backup everytime I complete a book. When I tried only deleting the CPD and I opened my project, I had the same problem: I couldn't close RoboHelp, generate, save, nothing...and I had to shut down RH via end task in the Task Manager. I saw on a forum here that as a last ditch effort, delete the CPD and XPJ and launch the project from the HHP. I did this, and I have been opening the project by first opening RoboHelp HTML as 'Run as Administrator' (although I am already an 'administrator' on my own laptop). I completed a few hours of work without any crashes. I am not opening or importing anything from the source files at all. I am navigating to my project files when importing. There are no red x's. As of today, things are looking good (other than re-importing about 300 more pages and ensuring they look ok, but this gives me an opportunity to re-structure the Online Help in a way that makes more sense than the one i inherited some 5 years ago...the silver lining). I do so appreciate your help/response! I also loaded up that PC Health tool on the other thread you referred me to. I was able to clean up a lot of useless processes and files. I didn't do the registry clean yet, as I'm waiting for the approval to purchase the full version. I am so happy with having this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried the sample projects and yes they work. My current one worked for about 80 hours. Honestly I don't have that time

to spend on a sample project to see if it will eventually crash too. I don't have bad characters in my file names. My file names are relatively short. The paths sometimes not so much. It's a large project. So yes. I deleted my .cpd and .xphj file and opened it using the .hhp file. Oops. Now where did my TOC go? It has left the building! If I could have some consistency with this NOT crashing constantly, I could forego having a TOC until the very semi-end. Our product is going through a major UI overhaul, so a lot of changes are being made on a regular basis to my projects. Also, after a crash, and deleting the aforementioned files and opening project via HHP, when I go to generate, it reverts back to generating HTML help. Sounds like a corrupt registry issue AGAIN. Mind you, My IT guys do not like uninstalling/installing this on a regular basis (which tends to fix it for awhile), nor are they readily available to do so. I'll see about getting them to create a new profile for me, but that will probably take a week. There's bigger priorities, and my issues with RH are making me more and more expendable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp