27 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2011 6:21 AM by quantum503

CS4 creates duplicate recordsets

quantum503

Hi

I've recently moved from Dreamweaver 8.0.2 to CS4. Basically it was a BAD move but I'm hanging on in there.

I'm using PHP and MySQL. I create a recordset for a page OK, but then if I want to apply a filter (say), I double click the recordset in the bindings panel, apply the changes, click OK, but instead of updating the recordset, Dreamweaver creates another one. I can see it in code view, but it doesn't show in the bindings panel. Am I missing something here? Has anybody else met this problem?

All comments or help appreciated.

Eric Lewis

• 1. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
          Level 1

I just moved to CS4 also and am having challenges.  I don;t have the duplicate recordset problem, but I have found that I can't copy/paste a recordset from one page to another.  I get an error everytime.  I also have found that I can't work with Commands anymore.  Any that I have created in previous versions of Dreamweaver do not appear in the Server Behaviors tab.  If I create a new Update Commend, for example, it doesn't show up either.....and it doesn't work.

I am finding CS4 to be an unstable platform.  It is costing me far too much time that I would prefer to spend on customers sites where I can make money.

Mike

• 2. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
            kal-hadi

I have just experienced a similar thing today in Dreamweaver CS4. It occurs when you filter a recordset and then you go back for any reason and view the "advanced"  recordset dialogbox you'll see that it creates two SQL variables instead of just one. It creates a SQL variable named "totalRows" and another one named "colname". It occurs with PHP/MySQL  only  BTW. This bug was never in CS3

Kal

• 3. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
              quantum503 Level 1

Hi Kal

Yes, I've noticed that as well. I'm afraid that in most cases I've resorted to writing the code manually which rather defeats the purpose of buying Dreamweaver. I can't believe anyone else hasn't reported this bug.

Eric Lewis

• 4. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                David_Powers Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I can't believe anyone else hasn't reported this bug.

If you have found what you believe to be a bug, report it through the bug report form at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform. Include clear, reproducible steps so that the engineers can establish what the problem is.

I have tried to reproduce the same problems as reported here, and cannot. That doesn't mean the problems don't exist, but they're obviously not happening all the time and to all users. I do a lot of testing with Dreamweaver, and one thing I have discovered is that it can start acting unpredictably if the computer is short of memory. I have 4GB of RAM, so that rarely happens to me. However, erratic behaviour sometimes occurs when I have a lot of other programs open at the same time. The solution is to close not only the other programs, but also Dreamweaver. Then relaunch Dreamweaver. That tends to clear both the memory problems and erratic behaviour.

• 5. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                  Mystifier1 Level 1

David.....I think you and I have had this discussion elsewhere in the forums.  As I said then, I wish Adobe would release patches to fix bugs as Macromedia did.  Adobe has a history of knowing about bugs, not releasing patches, and not even fixing them in the next release.  It is getting sad.  I have reported multiple bugs now.  Black hole.

Mike

• 6. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                    kal-hadi Level 1

Hey Eric,

In one case, after applying a filter in the recordset and testing, the page appeared blank. After debugging, it turned out that it added an extra "}" on line 32. Manually removing the extra bracket fixed the problem. In other cases it added an extra SQL variable with the name "totalRows". See attached.

It seems to add the edditional SQL variable when you switch back and forth between the simple and advanced mode.

Kal

• 7. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                      quantum503 Level 1

Hi Kal

Yes I've noticed the extra "totalRows" variable, but haven't noticed the extra "}" yet, although it might explain some of the cases where I've had to remove all the recordset info and start over.

I think you are right about it being an "advanced mode" issue. I don't think I've had any problems with the simple mode.

I have also noticed some erratic behaviour as David Powers mentioned, even with 4Gb of RAM, and all you can do is close Dreamweaver and restart, or in some cases reboot.

Eric Lewis

• 8. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                        kal-hadi Level 1

Eric, Have you already reported this bug to Adobe? If not, I can

Kal

• 9. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets

kal-hadi wrote:

Eric, Have you already reported this bug to Adobe? If not, I can

If there is a bug, it's important for as many people as possible with reproducible steps to report it. If many people are experiencing a problem, there must be some common factor. Detailed bug reports help identify such factors.

• 10. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                            kal-hadi Level 1

Makes sense, thanks David

Kal

• 11. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                              quantum503 Level 1

OK, I'll report it. But I'll have to try and work out a sequence of steps to reproduce the problem. In my experience it doesn't always occur, and most of the time there are third party extensions, and custom PHP code in use as well, which complicate the issue.

Eric Lewis

• 12. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets

most of the time there are third party extensions, and custom PHP code in use as well, which complicate the issue.

You've hit the nail on the head. In all probability, it's a conflict with one or other of those factors that's preventing Dreamweaver from recognizing the recordset code. Once you customize Dreamweaver-generated code, it ceases to be editable through the Server Behavior dialog boxes. Dreamweaver usually puts a red exclamation mark alongside the server behavior name in the Server Behaviors dialog box or completely fails to recognize it after you have edited the code in Code view.

• 13. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                                  Divad0161

David_Powers wrote:

I can't believe anyone else hasn't reported this bug.

If you have found what you believe to be a bug, report it through the bug report form at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform. Include clear, reproducible steps so that the engineers can establish what the problem is.

I have tried to reproduce the same problems as reported here, and cannot. That doesn't mean the problems don't exist, but they're obviously not happening all the time and to all users. I do a lot of testing with Dreamweaver, and one thing I have discovered is that it can start acting unpredictably if the computer is short of memory. I have 4GB of RAM, so that rarely happens to me. However, erratic behaviour sometimes occurs when I have a lot of other programs open at the same time. The solution is to close not only the other programs, but also Dreamweaver. Then relaunch Dreamweaver. That tends to clear both the memory problems and erratic behaviour.

I too have been getting the "totalRows" added to my variables when I make a change to SQL.  Yesterday I made a change to a page with no problem. Today I made the same change to several pages and the "totalRows" showed its ugly head again.  I had more pages to change so after reading these posts I closed everything and re-booted.  I then made the changes with only dreamweaver open and only opened one page at a time.  Every change worked flawlessly.  We probably all work the same way with several browsers, outlook, dreamweaver, and other programs open.  That may be the problem. ???????

• 14. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                                    quantum503 Level 1

OK Guys

You may well be right that there is a resource issue with CS4 and that is

why we have to keep restarting it. But the totalRows variable issue is

deeper than that.

I closed all other programs, so only Dreamweaver is running and created a

simple page to display the results of an recordset. This is simple MySQL

database running on localhost. There is only one table with three fields.

I created the database connection and an unfiltered recordset in simple

view. OK, so far so good. But I need to use a GET filter, so again in simple

view I apply a filter for a search box that I will create on another page. I

close the dialogue window. Seems OK, but looking at the code I see that

instead of updating the recordset SQL block dreamweaver has created another

one. So I double click the recordset. This opens in advanced mode and the

totalRows variable has appeared from nowhere. To add insult to injury,

dreamweaver then says . Well I know that!

This page has nothing else on it apart from the html structure.

I am using PCs, one is a quad core processor with 4GB RAM, the other is dual

core with 3GB RAM. It happens on both.

I have reported this as a bug, but I'm not holding my breath. This software

just sucks! And anyway why should we have to keep restarting it, and I won't

even mention ftp.

Eric Lewis

• 15. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                                      kal-hadi Level 1

This is hapenning on every machine I've tried. BTW only with PHP/MySQL. No problem in ASP/VB Script. This is becoming a major pain and in my opinion a major bug. I also reported it but I'm not holding my breath either.

Kal

• 16. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                                        nickwhyles

I'm getting this too. VERY frustrating. Can't even go back to CS3 as code not compatible.. Will just have to completely rebuild pages in CS3.. VERY annoying

• 17. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                                          nickwhyles Level 1

Nope.. I've tried without any additional code and it still does it

• 18. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                                            webteker

Actually, this is not true.

I get the error with a straight recordset, no third party anything happening.  and now I have to rewrite the code....

My DW 2004 MX and my CS3 never did this...

With so many people reporting the problem, it seems that a fix from Adobe is in order, and FAST.

Please do not give me answers like, low memory or you have to restart - my system is well within the requirements stated for this product.

I would say the product is failing to live up to its own specs.

This is an issue with CS4 - the entire suite seems buggy compared to previous packages.

How about some real answers?  A patch, an upgrade or something to fix the issue.

• 19. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                                              nickwhyles Level 1

I agree. rewriting all the code is a real pain. We need a fix ASAP

• 20. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                                                TropicDome

Any update on this?

I am also experiencing it in Dreamweaver CS5!

• 21. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                                                  nickwhyles Level 1

NO. I was told it couldn't be happening.. But like you I'm also experiencing

this in CS5. I had hoped they'd fix it.....

• 23. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                                                    quantum503 Level 1

Hi All

This really is a pain. I downloaded a trial of CS5 to see if was any better, and it was just the same, maybe worse! So I'm sticking with CS4. I'm not spending good money on something so full of holes! Everytime I go to edit a recordset, I make a backup of the file first, just in case Dreamweaver screws it up.

Eric Lewis

• 24. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                                                      nickwhyles Level 1

Hmmm. I thought it was better then it happened again last week.. I've paid

the cash for CS5 too!! Safest way is to delete the code and write a new

recordset each time. Pain, but there you go. Looking on the bright side,

it's helped me understand the code more....

• 25. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                                                        KellyKH

Same problems for me too. CS5. 2 laptops, 1 high-spec, same problem on both. Paid a fortune and it's just causing me migraines and getting nowhere.

Has anyone heard of a fix / cause please?

I've made a fresh page, fresh connection, simple MYSQL statement, put a couple of results onto the page as a test, ok.

Went back into the recordset from the panel, edited the recordset and it duplicated it!!  So nothing to do with Variables or repeat regions.

Any ideas please. Here is my code.

<?php require_once('MyConnections/connection.php'); ?>
                                                        <?php
                                                        if (!function_exists("GetSQLValueString")) {
                                                        function GetSQLValueString($theValue, $theType, $theDefinedValue = "", $theNotDefinedValue = "")
                                                        {
                                                          if (PHP_VERSION < 6) {
                                                            $theValue = get_magic_quotes_gpc() ? stripslashes($theValue) : $theValue;
                                                          }

$theValue = function_exists("mysql_real_escape_string") ? mysql_real_escape_string($theValue) : mysql_escape_string($theValue);

switch ($theType) {
                                                            case "text":
                                                              $theValue = ($theValue != "") ? "'" . $theValue . "'" : "NULL";
                                                              break;   
                                                            case "long":
                                                            case "int":
                                                              $theValue = ($theValue != "") ? intval($theValue) : "NULL";
                                                              break;
                                                            case "double":
                                                              $theValue = ($theValue != "") ? doubleval($theValue) : "NULL";
                                                              break;
                                                            case "date":
                                                              $theValue = ($theValue != "") ? "'" . $theValue . "'" : "NULL";
                                                              break;
                                                            case "defined":
                                                              $theValue = ($theValue != "") ? $theDefinedValue : $theNotDefinedValue;
                                                              break;
                                                          }
                                                          return $theValue;
                                                        }
                                                        }

mysql_select_db($database_database, $Database);
                                                        $query_Recordset1 = "SELECT * FROM cards ";
                                                        $Recordset1 = mysql_query($query_Recordset1, $Database) or die(mysql_error());
                                                        $row_Recordset1 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset1);
                                                        $totalRows_Recordset1 = mysql_num_rows($Recordset1);mysql_select_db($database_database, $Database);
                                                        $query_Recordset1 = "SELECT * FROM cards  where EmployeeID = 1";
                                                        $Recordset1 = mysql_query($query_Recordset1, $Database) or die(mysql_error());
                                                        $row_Recordset1 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset1);
                                                        $totalRows_Recordset1 = mysql_num_rows($Recordset1);
                                                        ?>
                                                        <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
                                                        <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
                                                        <head>
                                                        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
                                                        <title>Untitled Document</title>
                                                        </head>

<body>
                                                        <p><?php echo $row_Recordset1['cardno']; ?>
                                                        </p>
                                                        <p><?php echo $row_Recordset1['EmployeeID']; ?></p>
                                                        <p><?php echo $row_Recordset1['description']; ?></p>
                                                        </body>
                                                        </html>
                                                        <?php
                                                        mysql_free_result($Recordset1);
                                                        ?>

• 26. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                                                          KellyKH Level 1

I've just done a bit of testing and might have something.

I made a simple PHP page with any SELECT statement using the advanced recordset panel.

I could edit this to my hearts content and all is good ..... until.......I upload it to the server.

Then, when I change my recordset in the panel (or even just open it and close it) the recordset is duplicated. If I then use UNDO , then we're back to normal, can edit happily.

In fact whenever I interact with the server, like looking at MANAGE SITES for instance, and I then open and close the recordset, the recordset is duplicated.

So it seems it's something to do with connecting to the server. I tried altering a few settings but couldn't shake the problem. If anyone can use this to solve our problem then I'd be very happy to hear about it.

AS A GETAROUND.  AFTER you upload your page, either close and re-open it before you edit your recordset.  OR open the recordset, close it (problem occurs) then UNDO and go again.

Try it out, see if you get the same.

ps I'm using CS5

Kelly.

• 27. Re: CS4 creates duplicate recordsets
                                                            quantum503 Level 1

Hi Kelly

I'm disappointed to hear that this still hasn't been fixed. I'm still using CS4 and I'm unlikely to pay good money for CS5.5 if it still has bugs in it.

I'm no expert but every time you create a recordset, Dreamweaver has to interact with the server to access the database and (for me at least) uploading makes no difference at all. The problem occurs for me when EDITING a recordset in advanced mode. But I've just got used to changing to code view after every edit and removing the additional code. It's a pain, but until someone fixes it...

Eric Lewis