• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a drop shadow? Can't find filters.

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2010 Sep 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Flash CS5 on Macintosh.

Googling has led me to maybe a dozen tutorials on creating a drop shadow in Flash, so I understand how the procedure is supposed to work. Select the object and then look for "Filters" and apply the "Drop shadow" filter. Simple enough.

But it seems that you can only apply a filter to an "object." The things I've been trying to create a shadow on are of type "drawing object." Everything else I've tried to create or import has some other name, and none of them have the Filters menu.

I'm embarrassed to have to ask about something that should be (and according to all the tutorials is) drop-dead simple, but I just don't see any way to create a drop shadow in Flash.

Can anyone steer me in the direction away from ignorance?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 14, 2010 Sep 14, 2010

Mmm... Flash Player 6 you say!

Filters are only supported in Flash Player 8 and beyond.

Go to File > Publish Settings, select the Flash tab and change the target Player to "Flash Player 8", then press OK.

Deselect and re-select the symbol and you should now see Filters in your Properties panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any drawing elements will need to be converted to a Symbol before Filters can be applied. Selecting the object and pressing F8 (on Windows, sorry - not entirely sure what it is on a Mac) will convert the selected content into a Symbol. You should then see the Filters table displayed where you can click the "New Filter" button and select "Drop Shadow".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's F8 on a Mac too, except that F8 is taken over by Mac Spaces. Oops! But I found it in the Modify menu.

Where is the Filters table supposed to be found? I'm looking at the Properties tab and after I convert a drawing object to a symbol all I see in there is "Position and Size", "Color Effect" and "Looping."

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing you've converted the graphic into a Symbol of type "Graphic". The symbol will need to be either a "Button" or "MovieClip" before the Filters option is listed in the Properties panel. Not quite sure why Adobe doesn't allow filters on "Graphic" objects as something as simple as a drop shadow hardly requires a timeline, but that seems to be the limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okaaay, so I create a "Movie Clip" symbol. Now I have the following:

Position and Size

3D Position and View

Color Effect

Display

When I create a button symbol my options are

Position and Size

Color Effect

Display

Tracking

I notice that "Display" though listed, tells me it's not supported in  Flash Player 6 and that I have to change my target. Would "Filters"  either be inside Display or hidden because my target is not modern  enough?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mmm... Flash Player 6 you say!

Filters are only supported in Flash Player 8 and beyond.

Go to File > Publish Settings, select the Flash tab and change the target Player to "Flash Player 8", then press OK.

Deselect and re-select the symbol and you should now see Filters in your Properties panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

K-ching!

OK, now I need to check with my client and make sure that targeting Flash 8 is acceptable, but at least the mystery is solved. Flash 8 was released in 2005, right? It darn well ought to be safe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines