Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Index and Search do not working in Hebrew RH8 project

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2010 Sep 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While localizing

English Robohelp 8 project into Hebrew (WebHelp as output), we encountered some crucial issues: Despite the fact that our hhk and hhc files were translated only Table of contents appear in Hebrew in the generated Help, index pane appears empty and search pane shows gibrish. When I use original English hhk file then index showing mixed English and Hebrew entries, no any luck with search. We used many times discussed RTL workaround for RH7. It seems that it does not fully fit for RH8, so my panes are not aligned properly and so on, but these issues we can put aside.Search and Index seem to be more important. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 21, 2010 Sep 21, 2010

Hi,

Probably something in the language file, but I'm not big on that. In the output, open whfhost.js. The first fourteen lines contain text for the search option.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2010 Sep 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still on RH7, so things might not be quite identical...

The first thing I'd suspect is character encodings: are your Hebrew source .htm, .hhc and .hhk files in UTF-8 encoding or something else?

Even if the meta tags in HTML say the file is UTF-8, it might not be true. When I open an English resource HTML from a RH7 project in Notepad, and "Save As", it shows that the file is in an ANSI encoding, regardless of the tags. It has happened that a translation agency returned translations in ANSI when I sent them files straight from RoboHelp, causing all sorts of weirdness in the characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure my guess is RH8 behaves a little different. I had some experience wi

th RH7 and all was smoth.

Regarding the encording-I run partial check and my  files are utf-8 encorded.

Any other ideas? BTW meanwhile i succeded to move pane of TOc to the right)))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about your settings for generating (start generating from the File menu)?

There's options for DHTML,  Java Applet, and Pure HTML. For me, Pure HTML always produces a mess in Index and Search.

Can you post a screenshot of what your "mess" looks like?

-----------------

EDIT:

How are the first lines in your .hhc and .hhk files?

Mine are identical with the English: no RTL markings or anything. Does the text in .hhc and .hhk files look like Hebrew?

Does your computer have language support for Hebrew?

I am not sure if it matters, or if the difference comes when Generating or when viewing the help. When doing HTML Help, I needed to change my language settings to get many languages right, but this might not be an issue with WebHelp and UTF-8.

Message was edited by: perttime : ADDITIONS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DHTML solved the search issue, but now i guess i

have to modify the english text-in which file I can replace the translation?

Index is still empty:I am attaching screenshotsworking search.JPGhhk file.JPGEmpty index.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RH7, those "Help UI" texts, like the ones in the search box, are in a file called 'RoboHHRE.lng'. There's one in the Help project root folder and one in a sub-folder of the '!Language!' folder. As RH does not really support Hebrew, I put mine in the 'en-UK' folder and call the help "English UK" in the Project Settings.

Your .hhk file looks very different from what I have in RH7... but it does look like Hebrew

Sorry, I am out of ideas right now, on how to make it work. I don't have any RH8 projects left from the time I tried it to see if we need to upgrade

Your Index and Search panes still seem to be aligned on the left. I suppose you must have seen this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459071?tstart=0

or the steps for RH7, on Peter Grainge's site, that I put together from Willam's instructions in that thread. Hopefully it is possible to find the needed changes for RH8 based on those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a couple of my RH8 test projects after all...

... and the Index in Hebrew seems to work fine in it. So it can be done.

'RoboHHRE.lng' files are there, just like in RH7

Are you getting any content into the help output's 'whidata1.htm' files (different numbers, depending on how long your index is)?

The beginning of my RH8 Hebrew test file looks like this:

----------

<html DIR="RTL"><!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->

<head>

<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp 8" />
<meta name="description" content="WebHelp 5.50" />
</head>
<body>
<script language="javascript" src="whidata.js"></script>
<script language="javascript">
<!--
aIE(2,25,"אנשי קשר","סקירה אודות אנשי קשר","Contacts/Contacts_overview.htm");
   aIE(3,4,"ארגון בקבוצות","ארגון אנשי קשר בקבוצות","Contacts/Grouping_contacts.htm");
     aIE(3,0,"הוספת אנשי קשר לקבוצות","ארגון אנשי קשר בקבוצות","Contacts/Grouping_contacts.htm");

----------

In the output, the last files modified are whskin_tbars.htm, whiform.htm and whfform.htm. Looks like I did not yet get the ToC indents fixed in that test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I ask you what file whskin_tbars.htm stands for and what I suppose to modify in it

along with RTL direction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can ignore my previous question -got it myself-it moves the upper menu panel-great

!

I used the proposed threat and moved pane to the right. My TOC remains with wrong indents but it is neglectable. I am currently fixing issue with lng file and will update you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still can not resolve the Index issue, eve

n when lng file was replaced and i used En(uK) as possible locale. My

machine is 100% in Hebrew regional settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 16, 2010 Sep 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible that the missing Index is not a language problem.

Just throwing ideas at you because I don't know what is wrong:

- Does it work if you use another .hhk file? The English one, for example?

- If you have some good comparing tool, see if there are unexpected differences between the English and the Hebrew projects. I mainly use BeyondCompare for comparing files and folders.

- Make a backup copy of the project and use the .hhp file to open it, instead of .xpj, to let RoboHelp build the help project again from scratch. You may need to check the project settings after doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2010 Sep 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Following our discussion, do you have any idea how I  suppose to localize tooltips on my menu buttons. Which file is  responcible for these texts?

Whskin_tbars.htm doesn't show any indication.

Please see the attached screenshot of the desired tooltip( I guess there are 3 of the kind: search, index and contents

SS_3.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 21, 2010 Sep 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In whskin_tbars.htm, search for addButton. This adds the button and also contains the tooltip text (the third value).

It might be easier to change the text in the skin. Go to the skin editor and find the Main section. Double click the name of a button. In the following dialog, you can change the displayed text. This text is also the tooltip text:

Capture1.png

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you-it really helped me!

One more little thing to go-Can you tell me where I suppose to find localizable strings for 2 tiny words:

In my search results Title and Rank appear untranslated. It doesn't matter much but we are all kind of perfectionists

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Probably something in the language file, but I'm not big on that. In the output, open whfhost.js. The first fourteen lines contain text for the search option.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 22, 2010 Sep 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Title" and "Rank" seem to be included in the 'RoboHHRE.lng' files too.

Are you editing the 'RoboHHRE.lng' files in the Help project resources, or the one in the output? You should translate the ones that are in the resources, to make the translations stick. If you edit the output, you have to do it again every time you Generate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2010 Sep 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

I actually solved all the issues, some of them at the input and some at the output stage.

Beyond compare makes the sync trick anyway. Index was resolved by regeneration inside the project.

Indents are ignorable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp