Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to limit data submitted

Level 4

Hi all,

I would like to know can I limit the data submitted, to be more clear:

1) In the form we will have many display only data (Like Multi-language label, dropdown data, data for checking etc)

2) And the display data will submit to the server although they will never change

3) And this extra data can be very large and cause delay while the user submitted from a remote location

So, I would like to know if I can only submit the data which will change only.

By submit service maybe?

Regards

Bill

9 Replies

Level 10

The best way would be to create a data connection for your form in Designer.

When you submit the data, only the data bound to the data connection will be submitted. You can create a data connection from an existing xml file or a schema (which is more common).

Jasmin

Level 4

Hi Jasmin,

Thanks for the reply.

We do use a schema, but we also use the schema to pass in some static data (for display or calculation) for the form, so, these data will also submit back to the server, and that's what we want to prevent because the static data never change.

I think I may missing something here, maybe I don't really need the schema to pass data to the form?

Regards

Bill

Level 10

If you don't use a schema, then it'll submit all the data for every field, so I don't think that's going to help.

Jasmin

Level 4

Hi Jasmin,

I think my English is so bad that cause you to get my meaning in another way.

I mean I did use a schema, but I also pass in some display only data via the schema.

So, when I submit the form, the display only data I passed in via the schema, will submit to the server along with the data I want.

Regards

Bill

Level 10

Your English is fine. I understood exactly what you meant.

There's really two ways to control what's going to be submitted. You either use a data connection (schema, web service, etc) or no data connection.

If you don't use a data connection, it'll send data for every fields on the form.

If you use a data connection, it'll submit data that conforms to the data connection. If you use a schema, the data will have to match the schema structure. You can't remove the nodes for "display only" fields. You could clear the value of all those fields before you do the submission, but you'll still have an  empty xml node for them in the data structure.

Jasmin

Level 4

Hi Jasmin,

Thanks for the answer.

That's mean the only possible solution to this is empty every values which I don't want before submit.

BTW, what's render and submit service suppose to do? I use render service to populate data in ES1, but in ES2 data prepare service added, so, I no longer use any render service, and have no idea how can I use a submit service.

Regards

Bill

Level 10

In ES2 they introduced the concept of action profile.

Instead of manually configuring a render and a submit process, the default action profile is suppose to be smart enough to figure out which render and submit service to use.

You can also modify the default action profile or create your own. In the action profile, you can configure a bunch of things, that you would have had to add to your render service in ES. For example you can create a separate process to do prepopulation, you can specify if the form needs to be reader extended, you can specify the render service to render your form, etc. The goal is to try to leave the render service to just render the form and use the other settings if you need to do anything else, which in most cases is prepopulation and Reader extension.

The render and submit service still exists but now I almost never change them.

Does that make sense?

Jasmin

Level 4

Hi Jasmin,

Yes, the action profile is great, and it is more easy to understand, in ES1 I use the reader service for prepopulation and reader extend only, I do nothing related to rendering.

What I want to know is what really a render and submit service do,  because in many case which relate to submission (like this message), I will think if the submit service can help, so I want to know what they do and so I can't stop thinking something I don't need to.

Regards

Bill

Level 10

The render service will take care of rendering the form. If your asset is an XDP, the render service will use Forms to convert the XDP to a PDF, and enable it for Workspace.

The submit service recevies the submission. The the user click on the submit button, it'll invoke the submit service.

Jasmin