Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Doubt about FlexBuilder 4 Plugin Eclipse Helios/Ganymede

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2010 Sep 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Members

I just downloaded some days ago the two Adobe Flex Builder 4 installers, the standalone and plugin for Eclipse

I can see clearly that for Adobe Flex Builder 4 standalone has its own .exe like FlashBuilder.exe

Now here the confusion

I have the Eclipse JEE Helios already installed in my pc and then I execute Adobe Flex Builder 4 Plugin installer,

in some point it ask for to choice an option of two

1) Use the Eclipse Ganymede which is already incorporated/integrated with Flex Builder

or

2) Select the target/directory location of Eclipse (I use this , to Helios)

After of the installation, a directory for Flex Builder 4 Plugin is created

where I can see many folders, but these two specially

• eclipse
  • eclipse-host-distro (this is the Eclipse Ganymede location, which is installed anyway, even when I chosen the Helios' target location )

After to see the contents for each folder the second has eclipse.exe

These are my doubts

1) When I execute Eclipse JEE Helios and I create a Flex Project, the question is, Helios call some special .exe to execute the Flex Plugin to work with Flex environment? If yes, which is exactly?

2) If I execute the eclipse.exe from eclipse-host-distro directly it open Eclipse Ganymede, therefore according point (1), again, exactly how Eclipse Helios open the flex environment?, since in Adobe Flex Builder 4 Plugin directory installation only exists Eclipse Ganymede, why not exists a problem or conflict while the runtime execution of Eclipse Helios which apparently would not work with Eclipse Ganymede

Thanks in advanced

TOPICS
Installation and activation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manuel,

There's no hidden exe that gets called by Helios - the FB plugins are being loaded into Helios by virtue of the link you'll find in your Helios dropins folder.

The copy of eclipse bundled with FB4 (please see its eclipse.ini file) contain some customized memory settings, so you might want to copy those vmargs memory settings over to your copy of helios as well, to make sure the FB4 plugins have enough memory to run efficiently.

-Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris

Thanks for the reply

There's no hidden exe that gets called by Helios - the FB plugins are being loaded into Helios by virtue of the link you'll find in your Helios dropins folder.

Oh I see now, I thought in the inverse order

The copy of eclipse bundled with FB4 (please see its eclipse.ini file) contain some customized memory settings, so you might want to copy those vmargs memory settings over to your copy of helios as well, to make sure the FB4 plugins have enough memory to run efficiently.

Thanks for the tip

I have a doubt, help me to clarify

For FB itself, exists some important difference or observation if

• I use FB with the embedded Eclipse Ganymede

against

• FB within Eclipse Helios

Thanks in advanced

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although we bundled FB4 Plug-in with Ganymede (3.4), we packaged FB4 Standalone with Galileo (3.5).

FB4 Plug-in supports eclipse 3.4.2 and higher, and has received a good bit of testing when plugged into Galileo and Helios now too.

The recommended memory settings in the vmargs section of eclipse.ini will generally still apply to Galileo and Helios as well:

-Xms256m

-Xmx512m

-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

-XX:PermSize=64m

-Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris

Thanks for the reply

Although we bundled FB4 Plug-in with Ganymede (3.4), we packaged FB4 Standalone with Galileo (3.5).

Confuse, Can you expand the bold part?, you mean the other type of Adobe FB4 installer right?, but if is the standalone release it has no some bundle Eclipse release

FB4 Plug-in supports eclipse 3.4.2 and higher, and has received a good bit of testing when plugged into Galileo and Helios now too.

Sounds good 😃

The recommended memory settings in the vmargs section of eclipse.ini will generally still apply to Galileo and Helios as well:

-Xms256m
-Xmx512m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-XX:PermSize=64m

Thanks for the support

Question:

Do you know when Adobe would release a new FB4.xxx installer plugin version but with bundle Eclipse Helios?

Thanks in advanced

-Manuel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manuel,

> Although we bundled FB4 Plug-in with Ganymede (3.4), we packaged FB4 Standalone with Galileo (3.5).

The bold part means that FB4 Standalone uses eclipse 3.5 platform plugins under the hood. If you look in the Installation Details dialog of FB4 Standalone, you can find the exact eclipse feature and plugin versions included.

> Do you know when Adobe would release a new FB4.xxx installer plugin version but with bundle Eclipse Helios?

The next release of FB (currently in testing) bundles Helios, but we're not allowed to discuss release dates yet. You don't need to wait for that though, because FB4 Plug-in should work fine with Helios.

Are you having any specific problems running FB4 Plug-in with Helios?

-Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Chris

Thanks really for your support, I really appreciate

If you look in the Installation Details dialog of FB4 Standalone, you can find the exact eclipse feature and plugin versions included.

OK, thanks, I understand

The next release of FB (currently in testing) bundles Helios, but we're not allowed to discuss release dates yet. You don't need to wait for that though, because FB4 Plug-in should work fine with Helios.

OK

Are you having any specific problems running FB4 Plug-in with Helios?

No, just wondered why FB4 came with an old bundle Eclipse version and work well with Helios without conflicts

Thanks a lot for your support

-Manuel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines