Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

enable comments & markup

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2010 Apr 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

We create postscript files and then have the distiller convert the files to PDF.

A user with adobe reader 9 is trying to use comments & markup to write his comments etc...  Just until recently when he upgraded to 9, he can't add comments anymore.

When i create the PDF i dont put any restrictions on it at all, because i never set the security.

I checked the Documents Properties and the "Commenting" is listed as "Not Allowed".

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 24, 2010 Apr 24, 2010

This is not the Distiller forum. Distiller questions are answered in the Acrobat forum. This forum is for answering questions on Distiller Server. To answer your question, the Reader users cannot add comments unless commenting is enabled by Acrobat for a specific pdf. This is different from the setting you see in the pdf properties which enables the creator of content to forbid comments which forbids comments for Acrobat users.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2010 Apr 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the Distiller forum. Distiller questions are answered in the Acrobat forum. This forum is for answering questions on Distiller Server. To answer your question, the Reader users cannot add comments unless commenting is enabled by Acrobat for a specific pdf. This is different from the setting you see in the pdf properties which enables the creator of content to forbid comments which forbids comments for Acrobat users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2010 Apr 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for posting in the wrong section.

I don't understand how the pdf properties is different. I thought that gave the user the rights. So there's nothing i can do on my end so the user can write comments? He/she has to do within his reader?

I looked up how to enable commenting for reader users. It tells me to " open the PDF and choose Comments > Enable For Commenting And Analysis In Adobe Reader" but the "Comments" option is not there, i guess because the rights is not enabled?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After enabling for comments did you re-save?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No i didn't resave. With Adobe 9 reader it says whatever change i make will not stick.

In adobe reader 9, to enable the comments you have to got to "Tools > customize toolbars" Then put a check mark next too "comments and markup toolbar" . I did that and nothing happens, no toolbar pops up.  Next to enabling "comments and markup toolbar" there's a asterix saying "Only available when document rights are enabled." .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enable For Commenting And Analysis in Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have a .pdf form.

It was created in LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2.

1. I open it in Acrobat Pro 9.1.3 and go to  "Comments > Enable For Commenting And Analysis In Adobe Reader".

1. This is the message I get:

"This form is interactive and has special features. To save a copy of it that you can treat as any other PDF file, choose File > Print and then choose the Adobe PDF printer. This creates a PDF file that does not have special features, so you can add comments to it or send it out for review."

1. So I create this special pdf file and then I open in Reader 9 and voila!

There is no comment toolbar, no way to comment.

Tell us all then: what is the PROCESS to go from enabling for commenting in Reader (using Acrobat) to opening the document in Reader and making comments.

Please tell us what we are all missing here.  OR if there is some version disparity that we don't know about.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post your question in the forum for LiveCycle Designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, do you think the problem is due to LiveCycle Designer then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2010 Sep 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't a Acrobat Distiler Server problem.

It is a problem of the type of the form. Read this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/721656?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 16, 2010 Sep 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, That's my question again, and dynamic forms cannot be made to allow comments. Got it -thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2011 Feb 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed as what you have said below

"open the PDF and choose Comments > Enable For Commenting And Analysis In Adobe Reader"

I manage to do it. My version had the "Comments" option. I guess you got to check your version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2011 Jun 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not find the right answer for this issue again. How can anyone can support for this ? please help. Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Distiller Server can't enable comments & markups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 14, 2011 Oct 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same issue in 9.4 and posted about it here.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3969431

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey guys you just need to go select prepare form. (Preparer formulaire in french)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines