• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need to learn RoboHelp...

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2009 Jul 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason I can't find an online tutorial for RoboHelp?  I need to learn this program ASAP so registering for a class or buying some RoboHelp bible is out of the question.  I need an online basics 1-2-3 step-by-step tutorial.  Anyone know where I can find one?

Oh and if you are pointing me in a direction I have to ask... I have seen RoboHelp Word and RoboHelp HTML so if there are two tutorials I will need them both.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jul 13, 2009 Jul 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have a self paced RoboHelp 7 and RoboHelp 8 curriculum available.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything out there that's free? Adobe has some great videos on Captivate, but I can't find anything on RH8 (and I don't mean the Help Viewer). Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You have to understand that unless Adobe creates something with the vast resources they have, you will likely only find "half vast" tutorials and whatnot for free. (if they exist at all)

I can personally attest that a LOT of work goes into creating materials. It's an incredible amount of time and effort. Consequently, you likely won't find many folks willing to expend the effort to create training only to give it away at no charge.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it takes a metric buttload of time to make such materials; I make similar stuff for a living, too. I'm just surprised Adobe doesn't have more out there for RoboHelp, as it's way more established than programs like Captivate (assumption, of course). I guess I can try the forums when I run into questions, or I may propose professional training... though spending more money is not usually met with much favor....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt Sullivan over at Roundpeg has this freebie on his blog:

http://blogs.roundpeg.com/2010/08/robohelp-webinar/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Richards Daddy and welcome to the forums!

While they are no step by step "from scratch" Adobe Captivate tutorials of RoboHelp, there are some helpful Captivate demos that explain and demonstrate many of the new features in Adobe RoboHelp 8. You'll find 7 such videos here:

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/robohelp/videos/

There is also a 67 page RoboHelp 8 Reviewer's Guide which also contains "Try-it" Exercise tutorials of some of the features. Again, they are not necessarily basic tutorials per se, but might be helpful in orienting you to the interface and expose techniques that you may not know about. That can be downloaded here:

https://acrobat.com/#d=5bE00menRN24n8TzSel0Iw

Note that you should download the PDF to your hard drive for easier viewing.

There is a also a prepared Sample project which can be downloaded as a companion to the Reviewer's Guide. By looking at this special sample, you can see how certain things were done as a way to learn "how someone else did it." I find this helpful when I tackle new software.

https://acrobat.com/#d=xX5S7bpmSxW6P4oqmfM3aA

As well, you MUST check out Peter Grainge's website for an invaluable Tour of RoboHelp and many best practices on his site.

www.grainge.org

All of these items may be downloaded for free. Beyond that, I'd encourage you to take another look at reasonably priced training or materials suggested by Rick Stone.

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Evergreen, Colorado
www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2010 Sep 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, John. Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me add to the list of links, this terrifiic resource from Willam van Weelden especially with regard to creating and managing Styles, Lists and Tables in RoboHelp.

http://www.wvanweelden.eu/robohelp/robohelp.php

John Daigle
Evergreen, Colorado
www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John. Maybe you or some other prominent HAT user could post this compendium of free knowledge on his/her blog. I haven't seen one central location with all this RoboHelp guidance.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must have missed the BLOGS panel on the Adobe Forums > RoboHelp Support page.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES, Colum! I was remiss in not mentioning your tip-rich blog as well 🙂

http://notcolin.wordpress.com/2009/08/13/useful-links-for-robohelp-8-and-the-technical-communication... 

(I wonder who else I'm leaving out?)

John Daigle
Evergreen, Colorado
www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I saw them They just didn't have the kind of guidance for which I was seeking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 17, 2010 Sep 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the opening page when launching RH, there's a "Quick Tour of RoboHelp" link.

In addition, there are two sample projects that you can use to experiment, CCC and Web_Graphics, in the Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US folder.

Get your hands dirty; you should be up to speed in no time.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2010 Sep 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Leon. Unfortunately, the Quick Tour of RoboHelp link just takes me to Adobe's general RoboHelp page, when I was expecting a slick, 10- or 15-minute Captivate presentation to walk a first-time user through the basics. But you’re right, it's not taking long to get up to speed on RH8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional comments everyone.  Let me bring you up to speed.  My original post was over a year ago (July 2009) unfortunately I have moved on to another Help Authoring Tool.

Mods can lock/delete this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp