Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glossary Not Appearing

Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2010 Sep 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have RH7 (all lastest patches). Creating Microsoft HTML Help. Using W7, 64Bit

When I create and view the Help, I see the glossary. When I run the CHM file directory, I see the glossary tab, but there are no entries.

All other tabs seems to be OK. I have deleted the GLO file, recreated a new glossary, and just typed in test names. Same results.

Any ideas?

Shawn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2010 Sep 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shawn

Take a look at the thread linked below. Then report as a Bug to Adobe.

The thread linked below is about Browse Sequences, but Browse Sequences and the Glossary both rely on the same HHActiveX.dll file to do their work.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2010 Sep 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick:

Thanks. I don't see a link about Browse Sequence under Helpful and Handy Links

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Hmmm, either I was totally off my nut and forgot to include the link or something went haywire with the forums.

I'll try again.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick:

Thanks. I followed the thread, but no luck. The glossary is still not created.

I am using W7/64Bit and I will try under my XP/32Bit computer. If Iunderstand correctly, RH7 will run, but it is not supported under W7. Maybe it is a W7 64Bit issue?

Is RH8 also not supported under W7?

I will also try install under W7 64Bit, "Windows XP mode" to see if that helps.

If I submit the issue, will Adobe look at this since RH7 is not even support under W7?

Thanks again.

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 7 is not supported on Windows 7.

RoboHelp 8 is supported on Windows 7 32 bit but not 64 bit.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Just to clarify. Not supported doesn't mean it will not work. I'm using RoboHelp 8 with total success on my own Windows 7 64 bit system. Seems to work as well as RoboHelp as ever worked in different versions of Windows.

I use RoboHelp 7 on Windows 7 as well. But what I did was install Windows XP mode and the Windows Virtual machine.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying my post Rick.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, any time my friend!

Hey Shawn, note that the Glossary/Browse Sequence issue is different than "RoboHelp working" (or not). The issue with Browse Sequences or the Glossary is tied to something about the HHActiveX.dll file and deals with the manner in which it works with the operating system. I saw the issue long before Windows 7 even entered my consciousness and I was using good old 32 bit Windows XP Pro. So I deem this to be a totally independent issue with the coding of the DLL as opposed to the coding of RoboHelp overall.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2010 Sep 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the help.

I went back to my XP 32Bit and no luck. Glossary is still blank. The chances of both my W7 and XP being bad installs are probably nill. I'm guessing a bad file/data.

In reading, I understand I can remove the glossary by deleting the GLO file, the CPD file, unchecking Glossary in the Window configuration, and deleting the XPJ file. Am I missing anything? Should this kill the glossary.

Could bad characters cause the Glossary not to appear? I had copied some data from Word and WordPerfect documents.

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Could bad characters cause the Glossary not to appear? I had copied some data from Word and WordPerfect documents."

Absolutely...special characters, Autoformat smart quotes, etc. If you must copy some of this content, you'd do better to "clean it" by pasting it into Notepad, then copying and pasting from there.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

For what it's worth, I do agree with Leon in theory. But I would be astonished to find that this is the reason the glossary doesn't display. My gut says there is something amiss with the HHActiveX.dll. I say this because the same DLL governs both the Glossary and the Browse Sequences. And since we see issues with both of these items, well... you be the judge.

Unfortunately Adobe isn't likely to take any action until they hear enough of us squawk about it.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...or, until MS provides dll's that play well with everyone, Rick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leon

Sorry buddy, not following you. The misbehaving DLL seems to belong squarely to Adobe.

Or are you suggesting that maybe some of Microsoft's own DLLs are interfering?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Rick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there Leon

You know what would be interesting is if one could test the DLL theory. Wondering how that can be done. Hmmm...

I really wish Adobe would test it fully and figure out why it's broke. But my suspicion is that they won't, because they probably view locally installed AIR Help as "the evolution" of the CHM format. I think they feel CHM is wasted effort and on the way out. Sad, really, as CHM has always offered so many useful things. Such as shortcuts that open applications.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2010 Sep 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through and copied one at a time all my descriptions from RH to notepad and then back again. Still no luck on the glossary.  It is still all blanks showing a white screen.  I attached a picture. This is true even on my XP computer.

Does anyone have other ideas? I'm going to uninstall and reinstall, but doubt that will help.

Glossary.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: create a completely new HTML Help layout (don't duplicate an existing one, go New) and see if that works. Sometimes layouts get corrupted and there's no way of debugging them, so it's best to just scrap the layout and start fresh. This method is not a fix specific to your Glossary issue, but it has cleared up multiple issues over the years.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In addition to Leon's fine advice, I think I'd take it a step further.

In addition to the Glossary, define at least a single browse sequence and ensure the window definition has enabled the Browse Sequences.

Here's why I'm suggesting this. The HHActiveX.dll file is what governs both the Glossary Tab behavior as well as the Browse Sequence bar that gets added into the CHM window. Many years ago when I first became involved with RoboHelp and learned about the HHActiveX.dll file we would see that when it wasn't properly registered on an end user's PC, one of the symptoms would be that the Glossary Tab would appear, but there would be the characteristic blank area on the tab.

So if you are expecting to see the Glossary populate and you are wondering why it isn't, it's most likely the direct result of the HHActiveX.dll not working properly. And if you have a Browse Sequence to boot, that will tend to confirm my theory.

So you can klick and fight and scream at the issue all day/week/month/year long, but my gut says that until Adobe addresses the underlying issue with the dll, you aren't going to see the entries populate.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the first test (suggested by Leon).  Thank you.

Created a brand new HTML Help file on my desktop.  Created a topic, entered some glosary terms and still no luck. Glossary is still blank.

I will now try Rick's suggestions.

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Took the same new HTML Help file I created on my desktop and added a browse sequence (under Tools / Browse Sequence Editor). I made sure Browse Sequence was checked in The Window Properties. No luck. I guess an uninstall / reinstall is in order and hope that works.

I have multiple other help files I am working on. I don't know if those too are affected, but I'm guesisng yes based on it not working with a brand new help file.

I did try installing RH8 (note I still had V7 installed on the same computer) but no change.

Is there possible some setting, etc. that I'm just plain missing?

Pic.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

By all means please do try reinstalling. Certainly it won't hurt anything to reinstall. Well, not other than the fact you will once again need to apply service releases to bring it up to current specs.

However, I'll be very surprised to find that reinstalling will change anything. Unless by some chance the reinstall touches some magickal area that says "Hey, make the HHActiveX.dll start working again".

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick:

As a last chance before uninstalling and reinstalling, not sure why, but I re-registered the "HHActiveX.dll" file again and it now seems to be working. I'm not sure why, but the glossary is now appearing. It could be a combination of copying and pasting into the glossary from notepad or something else. Not sure if its a temporary fix or not, but at least I can generate a file now with a glossary.

This was on my XP box. I will try on the W7 64Box and see if it works there to.

Why, at least to me, is a mystery.

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL - Who knows what really gets touched when you register a DLL? I guess that's a mystery novel twice the size of Moby Dick that only Microsoft and Adobe know how to read!

Glad it's working!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2010 Sep 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The glossary is still being created under XP 32Bit, however, under W7 64Bit re-registrying the "HHActiveX.dl" file had no affect.  The glossary does not appear. I'm guessing I may need to go to XP Mode and see if that helps. I will first try an uninstall/reinstall under W7 64Bit.

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp