• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Would like to put a pop-up in expanding text. Can anyone tell me how?

New Here ,
May 17, 2006 May 17, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a need for creating popups within expanding text. A colleague tells me there may be a script out there to drop into the code that would allow me to do that. Can anyone give me some guidance about that? Or does anyone have any other recommended work-arounds for this? I tried putting popups within popups but that doesn't work either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2006 May 18, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shawn,

I'm using RoboHelp version X5 and been able to do this within RoboHelp and no extra scripting. This is how it works for me. Add your expanding text link as you normally would. (Highlight the area to have the expanding text link, click the DHTML menu, click Create Expanding Hotspot Text.) In the Expanding Text Editor, add your content and your pop-up as you normally would. (Highlight the area to have the pop-up link, right-click, click Insert Hyperlink, select you link to topic, click to display in auto-sizing pop-up.)

Hope you find this helpful.
Lynn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lynn,

I'm having some trouble with your instructions. First, when I right-click, I do not have the option Insert Hyperlink. Second, I don't want to insert a hyperlink, I'd like to insert a pop-up. Third, I don't understand when you say "Select your link to topic," I'm not trying to link to a topic, I'm trying to insert a pop-up. And fourth, I don't know what "Click to display in auto-sizing pop-up" means. Display what in auto-sizing pop-up? Aren't you having me hyperlink to a topic (which I think may be your work-around, but I'm not sure), not insert a pop-up? I'm sorry I'm so confused.

When I'm in the Expanding Text Editor, I do not have an option to create a pop-up. Is there a way to get around this and insert a pop-up some other way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shawn,

There are two types of pop-ups. One links to another topic and shows it in a "pop-up" window. I believe this is what Lynn was talking about. However, the Text-Only pop-up may be what you want. Regardless of the type of pop-up, you must first highlight the text that is the link to the pop-up, even if it is for a text-only pop-up.

To create a text-only popup:
1. In the WYSIWYG Editor, select text that users will click to see the text-only popup.
2. From the Insert menu, select Text-only Popup. (This doesn't appear unless you select text to become the hotspot for the link).
3. When the small popup window opens, type text directly onto the window.
4. When you are finished, press ENTER.
(Quoted from RoboHelp "Creating text-only popups" topic.)

The problem... you are correct that RoboHelp doesn't seem to allow you to create a text-only pop-up from expanding DHTML. Personally, I'm not sure why you don't just include the text into the expansion instead of adding a pop-up as another "click" for the user. Anyway, it was dimmed in my test. However, I was able to create a text-only popup using drop-down DHTML.

Hope this clears it up for you a little.

Kitty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I'm wondering if we are maybe comparing Spiders with Hedgehogs here. My guess is that just maybe Shawn is using RoboHelp for Word and others making suggestions are using RoboHelp HTML.

Am I close? Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2006 May 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am using Robo for HTML. To Kitty: I already know how to create a pop-up, but thank you.

I'm not sure anyone understands what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to either create a pop-up within a pop-up or a pop-up within expanding text. It doesn't seem to me that this is possible with the options given on the regular menus. I'm wondering if someone has found a work-around for this; i.e. has been able to do this in some way.

I know how to create DHTML expanding text and I know how to create a pop-up. What I need is a pop-up within one of these. Has anyone been able to do this somehow?

Thanks for all the help,
-Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shawn, you are sounding a little frustrated. I sympathize.

If you are creating a pop-up link to an existing topic (not a text-only pop-up), you can create a pop-up within a pop-up. I do it all the time. In this case the only difference between displaying a topic in a popup and regular window is the type of link. (BTW - I'm in X4 HTML).

If you are trying to display a topic using a pop-up link from a text-only pop-up, I don't see how it can be done. After all, it says "text-only". Maybe you could be more specific about what is not working when you try to create a pop-up within a pop-up.

Let us know if anybody finds out how to create a pop-up from DHTML expanding text. As far as I know, you can only do it from drop-down text.

Kitty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

It sounds like from what Kitty is saying I can't do what I am trying to do. I have really long procedures with the steps having many options and I was hoping to break those procedures down into groups that would come up in expanding text (i.e. 3. Enter header information (expanding text with 10 steps for how to enter the header information), 4. Enter body information (expanding text with 10 steps for how to enter body information)) and then within the expanding text have pop-ups that would show the options for each of the steps. Since I can't do this I'm going to have a procedures with over 20 steps in them, made even more kludgy with lists of options for each step. I don't like to do that. Does anyone have any ideas about how to get around this?

This has gone beyond the scope of the initial question, this is no longer a technical question. I think I'd better find a different forum for this question. Thank you for all of your help.

-Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shawn,

I'm not sure why this isn't working for you. From what you are describing as your need, from a design perspective I would suggest to use either drop-down text (not expanding text) or pop-ups to other topics that contain the detailed steps. The other topics that contain the detailed steps could also have drop-down text or pop-ups within them. If the detailed steps may be used elsewhere in the online help project, I would definately have them exist in a separate topic and then link (via a pop-up). This will allow you to reuse it, since you can't reuse the content within drop-down or expanding text.

Lynn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 20, 2006 May 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lynn

Your initial instructions sounded spot on to me. But I sense that Shawn is possibly using the term "pop up" to refer to "Text-only Popups" and not the full blown popups as we know them to be. Additionally, I'm wondering if more confusion is ensuing as a result of possibly referring to a DHTML drop down as Expanding text. I only suggest this as what I saw seems to imply there are several steps being displayed when the "expanding text" is clicked upon. Expanding text is normally used for something concise and brief, where the DHTML drop down is normally used for longer procedures as was mentioned here.

Shawn, if I'm understanding you correctly, here is how to insert a Text-only Popup in Expanding text. You simply create the popup information in the main body of the page. Once created, select the text the user clicks to see the popup, and CUT to the clipboard. Now double-click your expanding text to open the editor. Now paste the text where you want it. Once finished, you should end up with some expanding text that when expanded, has a working Text-only Popup.

Hopefully this helps some. Sorry I wasn't replying earler. Was out conducting a Captivate class in Jacksonville, FL and just got home. Looks like you had good solid answers and suggestions from Lynn and Kitty Liz though!

Cheers all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 22, 2006 May 22, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could structure your topics differently and eliminate the need for drop-downs and pop-ups.

Categorize the major portions ("Enter Header Information, Enter Body Information, etc.) in a plain list or 2- or 3- column non-bordered table, and place them under a special heading called something like "In This Topic" or "Procedural Steps." Each of these would link to bookmarks that follow.

Then assign bookmarks to intro headings (bold, italic) that announce each section ("To enter header information," etc.) with its own set of procedural steps. You can add small arrows so they can jump back to the start of the topic whenever they want.

We went with this method for large procedurals, because once users get into it, step 12.f doesn't seem much different to 3.c. In addition, all users still want to print the whole thing! . So if you continue using your solution, it might be wise to also provide them a PDF version of the entire procedural.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2006 May 24, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I like your ideas, Leon. That is what I'll do. Thanks, all, for all the help. I really appreciate it.
Sincerely,
-Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp