• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't drag audio file onto empty audio track... Why???? :)

Sep 18, 2010 Sep 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check out my screen capture of this question on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT0yz10Z0c

I created a new audio track in CS5 Premiere.  I called it Lav 2 (for lavaliere 2)  and am trying to drag an audio track onto that track.

But Premiere won't let me do it.  If I try to drag it onto the track it tries to put it on the track above it.  Or if I release the track it ends up several tracks down, on Track 11.

What is preventing me from dragging that audio track onto the empty audio track that I just created?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your source audio is mono, and you're trying to drag it into a stereo track. Create a mono track, and you're in business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Colin points out, the channel-count must match. Here is a look at the Audio Track Headers. Note the little "speaker" icons in each.

Audio_Track_Headers_01.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah!  That makes sense.

I assume once a track is created as stereo it cannot be changed to mono -- or visa versa?

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you cannot change the audio track. Just delete and set up a new one with the correct Track Type.

add tracks.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Ann mentions, you cannot change an Audio Track, but you can create new ones, with the proper channel-count, and can do so, pretty much where you want, in the Audio Track lineup. You can also Delete Unused Tracks (either Audio, or Video, or both), so that if you have one mono Track up top, followed by some stereo Tracks, you can create your additional mono Tracks below that existing one.

Also, if you do not have the proper Audio Track already, if you drag your Audio Asset to the lower portion of the Master Audio Track, PrPro will create one with the proper channel-count, but this will be done just above the Master Audio Track, so if you want to group your Tracks by channel-count, I'd manually create that, where you want it.

Personally, my default Sequence is with 2 mono, 4 stereo and a 5.1 Master. If I need more of any, I create those next to others of that channel-count.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill,

You always are there with some great help and answers!

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it was Colin and Ann, who had the correct answers. I just added a few little details, that might make life easier later on.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2011 Jan 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mine doing the same thing but it with an aculty video when i put the video onto my timeline it puts the video into video1 but puts the audio into audio 5 why cant i get it to go to audio 1 infact it seem to only go into one it makes or has already created with that clip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your original video clip is most likely associated with stereo audio forcing it into Audio Track 5 (stereo) because Audio Tracks 1-4 are all mono.  That would be best guess at least.

While we are on the subject of mono vs. stereo and audio tracks, a simple question for the thread.  I am versed in FCP and now diving into PPro.  In Final Cut you could take two mono tracks and 'alt' click them to lock them as a pair this way whenever a keyframe, effect, etc. is added to one of the two both are affected and can be adjusted simulataneously.  Is there a similar feature in Premiere?  Or should I just create a Stereo track based on a mono?  Rather than working with two Mono tracks?

Lindsay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i would say that maybe true but it doing it with both the clip and any music i try to put into the project and most are mp3 i listen to my ipod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you still can't seem to get into Audio 1, another option once you have dropped the video and audio into the timeline would be to Delete all of the empty Audio Tracks.  That should boost your Audio 5 into the Audio 1 position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines