• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player doesn't work on NHL.com and won't uninstall either

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2010 Apr 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, recently I've had a problem with flash player displaying videos on NHL.com and partner sites.

It may have to do with an update to the most recent flash, since I've not had a problem until a few weeks back.

I've contacted the site a few times and they've told me to uninstall Flash Player completely and reinstall it.

The problem is that "uninstall_flash_player.exe  (205 KB) (updated 02/11/2010)" which I am always redirected to on the Adobe site doesn't work for me.  When clicking the link, nothing happens.  When saving the link to my desktop or anywhere else on my computer, it downloads in a second with 0 bytes even though it says it should be 205 KB, so nothing runs when I try to run it.

Every other site that uses flash works.

From some reading, I think that I may have an older version of Flash or the updater is malfuntioning.  Even after I tried to uninstall through the controll panel, and manually by deleting every flash player file I could find (which may not have been the best idea), and reinstalling the latest version 4.0.45.2, NHL.com videos do not work... yet it's not the site that doesn't because it works for others.

I have a:

Dell Inspiron 1440

x64 based PC

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 Build 6002

And even though it doesn't work on IE or Chrome, my default browser is Firefox 3.6.3

Any solutions please?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 23, 2010 Sep 23, 2010

Have you tried to disable hardware acceleration?

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2010 Jul 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump.  This problem still exists even after the new, current Flash update and the installation of a new OS, Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you uninstall the old Flash Player before installing the new one?

Can you still not download the latest uninstaller from http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried that again several times last night.  When I click the link, the download box doesn't open as it does with other downloads.  So I right click the link and save it on my desktop but it saves with 0 bytes so I can't open it either because basically nothing saved.

When I first wrote about this problem and nothing worked, I looked up different answers on the internet and some sollutions suggested manually uninstalling flash, which I tried but the problem still persists.

NHL.com always tells me to just uninstall everything and reinstall the latest version but I can't seem to uninstall everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any antivirus software or firewall that prevents you from downloading the uninstaller?

If you continue to have this problem, can you download the uninstaller on another computer, then transfer the file on a memory stick, floppy disk, or other media?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did have some sort of anti-virus software installed by my college (Symantec Endpoint, and I used their uninstaller to uninstall it), then in May I installed Windows 7 and now have Kaspersky Anti-Virus.  I don't know if there's something on my computer that's blocking the uninstaller.

My PC, which hasn't been touched by my college runs fine with Flash because it displays all Flash sites that I visit correctly.  I'll try to download the uninstaller on my PC and transfer it to my laptop and see how it goes.

Thank you for the help so far.  It's not the most important problem, but it does become a nuisance since nhl.com is the only flash site that doesn't work for me but works for everyone else.  Usually I try to find their videos on youtube and watch there, but like today, there was live footage I should have been able to watch on team sites but could not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2010 Jul 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran the uninstaller and installed the latest version of flash, yet still, the problem is not fixed

I read somewhere that it could be a problem with my Firefox profile and that I should delete it and make a new one or something, but I have to same problem with Chrome and Internet Explorer so I don't think it's a browser problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2010 Sep 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the exact same problem ...brutal just

in time for the season eh!! would reaally like to know 'supi allowed nhl.com as an exceeption to my firewall still nothing!! running ad-aware!!  GO OILERS!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, your chances of receiving help will be much better if you start your own thread. Also when you do that, please read this.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/657743

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have this damn problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 22, 2010 Sep 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just replied to a thread a few minutes ago with the same problem. Take a look.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/726606?tstart=0

Hope it gives you something to check into.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2010 Sep 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a helpful thread and you're being very helpful, don't get me wrong but I've tried everything on there and it still doesn't work.  I don't understand it because the videos work on their front page but if I click to go to http://video.nhl.com/ it will only load a black screen.  It is the only site on the internet that does this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to disable hardware acceleration?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOLY SHIT.  It works.

I'm not sure what it was, but what I think did it was deleting all the websites here: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

I have turned off hardware acceleration in the past and that hasn't worked but this is the first time I did this.  Also, another thing I did was a I had a Greasemonkey addon for Firefox that I disabled because it had something to do with Windows Media Player settings for IE, which was probably messing with my browser.

Whatever happened, I logged online hours later and now it is working - the first time in almost a year.  I'm so happy because NHL season is almost starting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, nevermind, it doesn't actually work.  Not all of the NHL sites work, it just so happened that I clicked on a random video which was a Washington Capitals video, but when I went to the Vancouver Canucks videos or other team sites, the same problem occurs.

So this works:

http://video.capitals.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=32&id=76102

But this doesn't:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=75548

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2010 Sep 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mmm, I still haven't fixed my problem but I make another try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 24, 2010 Sep 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I checked that link you said didn't work. Was that live when you were trying to view it? I just watched it and it is a "quick pick"  I'm not familiar with the site, so is there one this evening that I could check?

Let me know and maybe I'll check in between posting.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2010 Sep 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah, it was a recorded video.   I don't think it's the category on each video site, it's the actual sites themselves.  Even though they are both NHL.com sites, the Washington Capitals one seems to be different because the videos on that site work but other team sites including the general NHL site don't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 27, 2010 Sep 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Take a look at this thread. Not the NHL, but it may apply.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/728091?tstart=0

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW, finally fixed it.

Here's how I did it (it wasn't recommended by anyone but I just thought to try it)

I went to my "hosts" file located in Windows/System32/Drivers/etc and basically deleted every IP address listed in the hosts file.  I don't recommend this to anyone who isn't desperate and has tried everything else but basically I didn't know what specific IP address in the hosts file could be blocking flash from working properly so I deleted all of them but the first one.  Then I refreshed the Canucks TV page and... first it showed an ad that said my video would start in 15 seconds, and then it went to the video.

For anyone who feels risky and really wants to try this method that has worked for me, please do everything else recommended and then this step last.

Now I'm gonna go enjoy some hockey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2010 Oct 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where can I find the host file? I'm still having problems NHL.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2010 Oct 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Windows 7:

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

or

%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\

Right click on "hosts" search for notepad to open it in and select "Run as Administrator."  Then just edit it and save.  I recommend saving a copy of it the way it is now before you make any major changes so that you can revert them if needed.

Hope you get it to work before the season starts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact problem with my flash player. Both Firefox and Internet Explorer are not working.  The videos on the front of the page works for me but when i click on http:// video.nhl.com/ or http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console it will load and then a black screen appears. I've try almost all the NHL teams sites and the only one i'm not having problems with is the Washington Capitals site. All the other NHL web sites load but then the black screen appears including the NHL.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2010 Oct 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try downloading the uninstall_flash_installer.exe from http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html. Make sure that you download it properly and run it. Try to close all the applications when you are running the uninstaller. Hope it should work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2010 Oct 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fix NFL.com and NHL.com video issues at

http://www.joelthibeault.com/Blog/page1/2010/10/26/b46ffdbe-e352-46c0-943a-13b34b0d05b5.aspx

If you believe issue really is Flash click on link for additional Flash install Options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines