• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC not displaying

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2010 Sep 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having problems with my TOC displaying after it is deployed to our test environment server.  When I view the help file on my own computer, the TOC displays on the left.  But after the output files are deployed to our servers, the TOC no longer displays.  Is this an issue with my setting?  We use IE7.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume we're talking about WebHelp here? What are your settings for Section 508 and MOTW in your SSL?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MOTW is checked but 508 is unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

Just an FYI. MOTW only has any meaning if you are running the project from your local C drive (or maybe a CD-ROM) and you are viewing the WebHelp using Micro$oft Internet Exploder.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd try leaving MOTW unchecked, generating, publishing to server & then checking to see if it's working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick - what do you mean by how am I linking to the topics?  Could you please provide additional clarification?

thanks - Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

When you have a WebHelp output sitting on a server, you may link to it in a few different ways.

You may create a link directly to a topic. In that case, only the topic opens in the browser window. Depending on your output recipe, you may or may not see a link that you are able to click to pop the topic inside the surrounding frameset.

Such a link would look something like this: http://www.SomeSite.com/Folder/TopicName.htm

You may create a link that opens the WebHelp frameset with the desired topic open.

Such a link would look something like this: http://www.SomeSite.com/WebHelpStartPage.htm#Folder/TopicName.htm

And you could be using the WebHelp API to open the topic.

Such a link would look something like this: javascript:RH_ShowHelp(0,'webhelp/TopicName.htm>WindowName',%20HH_HELP_CONTEXT,%201)

Note that each of these ways is slightly different and will produce different results. That's why I asked how you are linking to the topic.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried unchecking the MOTW and redeploying to our test environment but the same issue persists.  This problem is very strange because if I copy the same URL and paste it in Chrome, the TOC appears.  Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep, as I stated earlier, MOTW is pointless when things are being served from a server.

But at least now you have tried it and you know that's not the issue. (and I'd have fallen out of my chair if you said that fixed it. LOL)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2010 Sep 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that's the case then it's probably some setting on your browser not thinking that the server URL is to be trusted. It probably comes back to what Rick was saying about what method you're using to call the help. WebHelp uses Java to do all the panes & navigation and some browsers have that turned off for Internet sites. Anybody else try it in other browsers or flavours of IE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

Just a wee bit of clarification here. You said:

Jeff_Coatsworth wrote:

If that's the case then it's probably some setting on your browser not thinking that the server URL is to be trusted. It probably comes back to what Rick was saying about what method you're using to call the help. WebHelp uses Java to do all the panes & navigation and some browsers have that turned off for Internet sites. Anybody else try it in other browsers or flavours of IE?

There is no Java in the latest versions of WebHelp. What you should have said here is that WebHelp uses JavaScript.

Versions of RoboHelp prior to 8 would have a fallback mechanism that worked like this: Present the navigation using DHTML (DHTML is JavaScript combined with HTML). If that failed, try Java Applet. And if that failed, try Pure HTML. But in version 8, they dispense with Java Applet. So the fallback is now DHTML > Pure HTML. (Assuming you have selected that option)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick - we link our help files using the second method you listed:

You may create a link that opens the WebHelp frameset with the desired topic open.

Such a link would look something like this:http://www.SomeSite.com/WebHelpStartPage.htm#Folder/TopicName.htm

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You initially said: "But after the output files are deployed to our servers..."

Might your IT folks be playing games with the deployment? That is, are all the WebHelp files being deployed to that test environment server? Even all the files in those pesky whdata, whgdata, and whxdata folders, which some admin peeps seem to feel are unnecessary (they're wrong)?

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon - I had my developer check our test server and he verified that whdata, whgdata, and whxdata folders are all present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this issue ever resolved. I am having the same issue with the TOC not displaying when using links just to the default page, let alone any links to specific targets. ie #file.html

Could this be a certificate error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't confuse the Default Topic (in the Content panel of the wizard) with the Start Page (in the Select Output Folder and Start Page panel). The Start Page contains all that neat-o navigation stuff, so you need to call that topic (which will display your Default Topic alongside your TOC (or Index, or Search, etc.)).

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<gasp> Waldorf, you mean those are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PAGES? I'm stunned.

FINALLY... it makes sense now why Adobe has two completely different fields for those!

(Apologies to the OP. Couldn't resist a bit of teasing...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2010 Oct 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nope. We were able to determine that RH 8.02 RHCL is not building the TOC files necessary to display the TOC. One .htm for each TOC Folder and 2 supporting .htm and .xml files.

Is there some setting in the project that may be preventing a TOC from building, default TOC etc. The only TOC I have is set as default.

NOT RH UI builds fine, just RHCL does not build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp