• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing spaces between words after importing Word document into RoboHelp HTML version 8

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2010 Sep 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a 400+ page document in Word 2007 and imported it into RoboHelp 8 (HTML, not RoboHelp for Word). In many places, the space between a bold word and a non-bold word is no longer there. I would like to avoid having to go through the entire RH document to replace the spaces manually. Did I import incorrectly?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Sep 24, 2010 Sep 24, 2010

Looks perfect, works terribly...

Things to consider:

• Chances are, the different treatments of the space are due to whether the space was included in the bolding of the word in MS Word.
  • Additionally, since Word files contain much underlying binary code (macros and such), your security settings might or might not be playing well with the Word stuff.
  • Are you importing the Word file from a network location, or from your local machine? Network traffic might be partially impacting the import, too.

Bottom l

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the HTML code for the bad instances look like either of the Bad lines below? If so, you'd need to make them look like the Good lines.

Bad: <p>Open the <span style="font-weight: bold;">Select date </span>menu item.</p>

Good: <p>Open the <span style="font-weight: bold;">Select date</span> menu item.</p>

Bad: <p>Open the <b>Select date </b>menu item.</p>

Good: <p>Open the <b>Select date</b> menu item.</p>

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have an answer for you but I do wonder why you have 4

00 pages in one Word document, seems unwieldy. I wonder if you could go back to the Word document and make the changes there so you can avoid doing the manual change of HTML code in RH?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what change I could make in the Word document - everything looks perfect there. When I import the document into RH is when the spaces disappear.

Leon in the message above suggested changing the HTML code, but I would still have to do that by hand for the entire document.

Something is going wrong during the import process and that's what I have to fix so that I don't have to fix the missing spaces every time I update this document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 24, 2010 Sep 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks perfect, works terribly...

Things to consider:

• Chances are, the different treatments of the space are due to whether the space was included in the bolding of the word in MS Word.
  • Additionally, since Word files contain much underlying binary code (macros and such), your security settings might or might not be playing well with the Word stuff.
  • Are you importing the Word file from a network location, or from your local machine? Network traffic might be partially impacting the import, too.

Bottom line? You'll probably need to clear all formatting in the Word file and redo the formatting properly. To test this, cut a couple of pages into a new Word file, clear and redo the formatting in Word, import the Word file into another RH project, and see what results you get.

To clear the formatting:

1. Select text.
  2. On the Home tab, in the Font group, click Clear Formatting.
  3. Redo the formatting, being careful to not format the spaces.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp