• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking to an external html file using a relative path

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2010 Sep 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a hyperlink to an external HTML page using a relative path. This works fine when the link is opened within the project but displays the following error message (with a number of likely causes) when executed from within the CHM file.

'This program cannot display the webpage'

The relative path contains 2 sub folders and the command line statement I am using for the hyperlink is:   ./folder1/folder2/file.html

I have tried placing the sub-folder 'folder1' in both the project folder and the folder where the CHM file is generated without success.

There would appear to be a number of similar postings regarding the inability to open externally located files from RH projects, however, they have slightly differing circumstances to those of our project so have not been able to provide the required solution.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

Have you tried using an HTML Help Shorcut control?

I suggest this because I don't believe you will be successful using a standard hyperlink. This is because the standard hyperlink would most likely expect to be linking to a topic within the hermetically sealed CHM environment.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for that suggestion - are you referring to the Insert Navigation Control icon on the toolbar? If so, I have already taken a look at this (-> HTML Help Controls -> Shortcut) but it seems require a program.exe to run the shortcut. I'm just trying to launch an HTML page so this wouldn't be necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Well, the control will allow you to specify any file there. Not just exe files. So you insert the HTML file name there and when you click the shortcut it should issue a command to Windows to open the file. And normally the browser is associated with HTML files so the browser opens.

But I'm just a goober. What do I know?

Best of luck to you in finding a solution you are comfortable with.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2010 Sep 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick,

I'm pleased to be able to inform you that we've implemented your solution in order to link to our external HTML files from the CHM. I hadn't realised that it was possible to just specify the target HTML file name directly in the 'Program to run when shortcut is activated' field of the HTML Shortcut Help control. The field label text does seem to prompt for a program file and the browser dialogue associated with this field is restricted to 'Files of Type: Program Files (*.exe)'. Nevertheless, we are successfully linking through to our HTML files via the Shortcut command buttons option.

Thanks once again for the advice. This has enabled us to to solve a minor but all the same niggling issue within our project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp