10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2010 12:31 PM by jeff-small

Fireworks CS4 / Mac OS X 10.6.4 - My UI is completely wonky

jeff-small Level 1

Okay, start up Fireworks.

New Document. The window for a new document is ABOVE the application menu, meaning I can't get to it at all. It creates a new document at about 29% size (or smaller) and places it in the complete, top left of my Mac's screen, meaning BEHIND the Fireworks/Apple menus. I can't get to the document at all.

Selecting the "f" key to move between interfaces (full screen, etc) produces a completely disappearing interface. In other words the ENTIRE Fireworks interface completely disappears.

Same if I go to "Workspace..." and select ANY workspace in the menu. The WHOLE ENTIRE interface disappears.

I've thrown away Fireworks Preferences about half a dozen times and tried restarting... nothing. I've rebooted the computer... nothing.

Anyone have anymore ideas? Right now Fireworks is completely useless to me, and I'm really frustrated and angry.

• 1. Re: Fireworks CS4 / Mac OS X 10.6.4 - My UI is completely wonky
          Jim_Babbage Level 4

Try going to the Window menu and choosing Use Application Frame.

Jim Babbage

• 2. Re: Fireworks CS4 / Mac OS X 10.6.4 - My UI is completely wonky
            jeff-small Level 1

"Could Not Complete Your Request

An error has occured."

What do you think? Am I hosed?

• 3. Re: Fireworks CS4 / Mac OS X 10.6.4 - My UI is completely wonky
              Jim_Babbage Level 4

Sounds like you need to reinstall. That will take less time than trying to figure out what might be wrong.

Jim Babbage

• 4. Re: Fireworks CS4 / Mac OS X 10.6.4 - My UI is completely wonky
                jeff-small Level 1

Okay, I don't have my DVD handy, I'll have to try it tonight. So I should just use the DVD, do a custom install, install ONLY Fireworks, then run the Adobe Updater?

• 5. Re: Fireworks CS4 / Mac OS X 10.6.4 - My UI is completely wonky
                  Jim_Babbage Level 4

I would uninstall Fireworks using the uninstaller, then reinstall just FW.

Run the updater last.

Jim Babbage

NewMedia Services 

http://www.newmediaservices.ca

Community MX Partner -

http://www.communitymx.com/author.cfm?cid=1036

Adobe Community Professional

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/206.html

Author - Lynda.com

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/authors/author/?aid=188

Author: Peachpit Press

http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321562879

• 6. Re: Fireworks CS4 / Mac OS X 10.6.4 - My UI is completely wonky
                    jeff-small Level 1

Well, that didn't work at all. Fireworks threw an error. So I removed ALL of CS4, reinstalled... more errors. Now Dreamweaver won't work. Interface completely disappears. I choose "classic" and it just disappears. I have to quit Dreamweaver to get it to come back and it displays "Classic Workspace" only after I've quit and restarted Dreamweaver. Fireworks threw the same error switching to Window Frame and does the same exact problem whenver I select "New Document".

So now I'm completely screwed, and I can't do any work at all on my laptop. Essentially everything I need to do work is complete hosed and two complete removals and reinstalls and now nothing works.

What the heck happened? I can't find any technotes on this. Am I missing something? Is there any way to contact an Adobe Engineer to get actual, real, support on an actual, real issue?

• 7. Re: Fireworks CS4 / Mac OS X 10.6.4 - My UI is completely wonky
                      Jim_Babbage Level 4

Yikes, I'm sorry to hear that.

The only other thing I can suggest is doing a complete uninstall, running the clean scripts, restarting the system and reinstalling. Something's broken deeper than the FW installation level, apparently.

Make sure to run the Adobe CS4 clean scripts and restart before attempting to install again. Make sure to read the clean script readme file before proceeding.

If it still doesn't work, you may have to contact Adobe Technical support, unless someone else on the forum has another suggestion.

One question, prior to this recent problem, things were working correctly, yes? If so, have you installed any other new software prior to the problem occurring? Maybe there's a conflict somewhere.

Jim Babbage

• 8. Re: Fireworks CS4 / Mac OS X 10.6.4 - My UI is completely wonky
                        jeff-small Level 1

Thanks Jim, where can I get the clean scripts?

And honestly? I can't pinpoint the time when it started going bad, but I *think* it happened around the time I ran the Adobe Update. I try *very hard* to keep this laptop as clean as possible, and I'm super-anal about install software, only installing purchased, licensed stuff, no shareware unless it's a full stable release, no beta software, etc. So my *instinct* is to think it happened sometime around an update.

Right now it *seems* to be working okay, and I haven't run the update. DW was the most frustrating as its panels and panel sets would COMPLETELY disappear and never come back. It almost seemed like a graphics card issue, know what I mean? Like the panels wouldn't display properly. You'd make a change (say, go from "Developer" workspace to "Classic" workspace) and panels would completely disappear and never come back. You'd minimize panels and they'd phantom disappear. Sometimes switching apps (DW > Option-Finder > DW) would bring them back, but not consistently. And DW was the ONLY app that would do that. That wasn't so irritating. The Fireworks issue however was completely unusable. I'd go to create a new document and the new document window would be ABSOLUTELY at "0,0" on the Mac. I'm talking the top left of the new document window was BEHIND the Apple Menu. I couldn't grab the window bar or anything. Just utterly unusable.

I've got CS4 completely installed. Last night I removed every Adobe product I could see on the computer, pulled all preference files, went into application support and removed anything Adobe, and used spotlight to hunt for anything else containing the word "Adobe" and tried to clean it as best I could and did a custom reinstall this morning leaving out Version Cue and Drive and NOT running the update, and so far everything looks and works perfectly.

I posted another thread in the CS forums, but someone over there said that the Suite forum doesn't get much traffic and to try the DW and FW forums. Since I posted here first, I'm going to use this thread. I'll look over in the DW forums and see if anyone has the same issue, but if I run the updater (which I'm currently debating, honestly) and it reappears, I want to have my hands on that clean script. Where do I get that for Mac OS 10.6.4?

• 9. Re: Fireworks CS4 / Mac OS X 10.6.4 - My UI is completely wonky
                          Jim_Babbage Level 4

Here's the url for the clean tool:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs5clean.html

I know it says cs5 in the url, but the tool is supposed to work for CS3, 4 and 5.

Good luck

Jim Babbage

• 10. UPDATE: Re: Fireworks CS4 / Mac OS X 10.6.4 - My UI is completely wonky
                            jeff-small Level 1

Well, just an update. I just applied the Fireworks update from the Adobe Update app, and it completely hosed my Fireworks install. Before I applied the update, however, I looked at the "details" and noticed no Dreamweaver update was applied this time and now my Dreamweaver isn't working either. Whenever I change workspaces, every panel completely disappears.

I'm beyond frustrated at this point, so I'm not going to do anything with it right now. This has taken most of my morning and robbed me of about 12 hours of productivity total so far.

I'm going to once again uninstall everything, run the cleaner and see if it works again. In the meantime, I feel like I have a valid phone support issue, so I'm going to try calling someone.