• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS3: Plug-in problem

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2009 Aug 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to open a file that was created by another company.  It's telling me that InDesign cannot open the file and that I need to upgrade my plug-ins to their latest versions, or upgrade to the latest version of Adobe InDesign. It shows in this "Cannot Open File" dialog box a list of plug-ins that are already in my list of plug-ins in the "Configure Plug-Ins" dialog box. My question is, how do I upgrade my plug-ins to their lastest version?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ConditionalText.rpln and WorldReady.rpln, by any chance? If so, the document has been created in InDesign CS4, and cannot be read by CS3.

These plugins are an integrated part of InDesign and cannot be upgraded by themselves. So upgrade to CS4, or ask the other people to save the document as Interchange doc (INX). Beware that the new (and very useful!) features of CS4 will be removed by either the downsave or by CS3 itself when you open the document.

(And another point is that the paragraph composer has been updated for CS4. Merely opening an INX will not re-format the existing text, but any text edit -- any at all -- will force CS3 to reformat it.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the first dialog box that opens is "Missing Plug-ins" and it lists the Conditional Text and World Ready plug-ins, but it asks if I want to open the document anyway, so I choose yes. Then the "Cannot Open File" dialog box pops up listing AppFramework, Indexing, XML, Generic Page Item, Package and Prefllight, Image, Maser Page, INCopy Shared, etc.

I thought it was possibly created in InDesign CS4, but the info for the document says CS3. So, that's why I was confused.  There is a .inx file which is new to me.  I wasn't aware of what that was, but I guess if the document was created in CS4, then they would have to export it to a .inx for me to work with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a CS4 file. The second list is the standard plugins, but the CS4 versions depend on the two missing plugins you mentioned first.

.inx, with the previously mentioned caveats is the best you can do unless you upgrade to CS4 (which is a good investment if you use this professionally -- the increased productivity and new features will pay for themselves very quickly).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answers.  It is much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 28, 2010 Sep 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also had this problem.  2 different designer sent me their files and I got that missing plug in error.  However NEITHER of them use CS4.  One has CS2 the other has CS3 which is what I have.  Why would I be getting that when I have the same version if not higher than theirs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2010 Sep 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, both Conditional Text and the World-Ready Composer were introduced in CS4, so if you see that particular error message, it absolutely

must be a CS4 file. (Maybe CS5, I'm not sure, but certainly not a CS2 or CS3 file.)

There are a few possibilities I can think of:

1) You're getting plugin errors for different plugins - i.e. someone is using a commercial third-party plug-in.

2) You or your other designers are being confused by the re-numbering of InDesign versions. InDesign 6 = CS4, InDesign 5 = CS3, InDesign 4 = CS2

3) Someone else is working in, and saving, the files in a later version of the software, in between you and the designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2011 Apr 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although this post has been closed for a while, I am compelled to chime in because I am having this same trouble.  However, I am trying to open several documents that I created in CS2 myself.  Now I cannot open them in the exact same program that I used to create them.  These files have never left to be altered/edited/opened by anyone with a later version of InDesign.  I have upgraded my Photoshop program to CS5 since creating these InDesign files.  Could that be causing the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the EXACT error message.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  It shows the following plugins in a box:  LILO, Conditional Text, World Ready and Cell Styles.  Then it says:  The document (filename) uses one or more plugins which are not currently available on your system.  Do you want to open anyway?

Then I click OK and get:  Cannot open (filename).  Please upgrade your plugins to their latest versions or upgrade to the latest version of Adobe InDesign.

Heather Pacheco

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2011 Apr 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite waht you might think about having never been opened in a later version, that error message indicates they were, in fact, saved in either CS4 or CS5. Conditional Text was not introduced until CS4.

You should also delete your personal information, please, when responding by email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2011 Apr 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter...These files have never left my office. I have sent pdfs of them to the printer, but never the source files and have never received anything back from the printer that would alter the source file. I do not have a later version of InDesign on my computer, and therefore could not have opened them in a later version. As I said, I have recently upgraded my Adobe Photoshop to CS5 and am under the assumption that some shared aspect of these two programs was updated in that install to render my documents now inaccessible to me. Patronizing tone from "help" desk not appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What tone would you like?  Those files HAVE been opened in CS4 or later.  Photoshop has absolutely no effect on Indesign.  To make absolutely double sure post a screen shot of you error message.  And please don't complain about free help from other users (not Adobe) being patronizing, you're just getting told it like it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to post a screen shot as I've already provided the message word for word. It is NOT possible that these files were opened in a later version as they have NEVER left my computer and we do not own a later version of InDesign. Apologies for the personal info in my first email. Didn't realize it went to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2011 Apr 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me but with an "inDesign Content Manager" missing plug in message.

Have been online with Adobe sales live chat for the last 3 hours attempting to upgrade my inDesign CS Premium Educational v. 3.0.1  erroneously to inDesign single product v.5. This, after I installed the trail version and it automatically converted all of my existing inDesign files to v.5's. The uninstall converted the icons back to CS 3 but the screen shot attached shows the error that has locked me out of all existing files. With deadlines appraoching.

Where/how may I upgrade this missing plug in, please? I am afraid that if I were to purchase a new full version of inDesign, these files would still present me with this error in opening?

Thank you, a thousands times, for any direction that can be given to help... ShelleyCS3 missing plugin message.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nobledesignmedia wrote:

... Have been online with Adobe sales live chat for the last 3 hours attempting to upgrade my inDesign CS Premium Educational v. 3.0.1  erroneously to inDesign single product v.5. This, after I installed the trail version and it automatically converted all of my existing inDesign files to v.5's. The uninstall converted the icons back to CS 3 but the screen shot attached shows the error that has locked me out of all existing files. With deadlines appraoching.

You've got to be kidding me. Installing a new version does not, not, not ever "automatically convert" existing files -- and that sales rep should have told you so!

It's more likely your system has become confused because of the installing and uninstalling. After installing a new version, your system thinks it should open *all* of your ID files in the new version. Uninstalling it may have kept a few loose ends lingering, and I don't know if you can clean this mess up without loosing your current InDesign as well.

Most important is this: any file you opened with that newly installed version and saved cannot be opened anymore with the older version. That's all, and it's as simple and straightforward as this: no older version of InDesign cannot open files saved with a newer version.

Are you double-clicking the files to open them? If so, try opening them from within InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your answers, Jongware, But I have to say that I did not open nor save these inDesign files during the inDesign 5 trial on my computer and yet all the icons automatically converted to v.5 art straight away and I have not been able to access them since. Even after uninstalling InDesign 5. I'm running on an iMac 10.6.7, if that helps spot a problem.

So right now I have my old inDesign 3.0.1 CS3 (educational) and all my files that are due to the printer and currently no way to open them.

It feels as though I am being blackmailed by Adobe to spend US$699 to buy a full inDesign 5 and even then, these files may now be trashed forever, costing me countless hours of work. They were books.

I'm afraid to go hunt for an archive back up file in case they too fall into whatever software gap is at work with this. I can't afford to lose those too and I have no other computer.

Feeling totally let down by Adobe now. Turned off and betrayed.

I did try opening the files from inDesign, as you suggested, Same result, I'm afraid.

Should I try downloading another inDesignv.5 trial in the hpes I won't get the same error message. I probably can't install another trial I realize but I'm out of ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I have to say that I did not open nor save these inDesign files during the inDesign 5 trial on my computer and yet all the icons automatically converted to v.5 art straight away and I have not been able to access them since

You have missed the point. The icon change does not mean the file was converted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, John, Well, then the fact that I can not open these files due to the error (seen in screen shot above) must be due to something else unrelated. But isn't it strange that every single one of the inDesign files on my computer all have become unable to be opened with the inDesign app I have only after I installed the v5 trial?

Clearly you can see tech is way over my head, so maybe this makes sense to the pros here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys are all way too emotional  Too funny!  With that being said... what a rip-off this program is!  Not compadible from version to version...LAME.  Adobe is already over priced and they cannot for the life of them offer a good value for stock holders.  So they suck you for every penny they can.  Bad corporate tactics = shotty software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's fully compatible from one version to the other..it's just not backward compatible to all versions. In fact, CS5.5 is backward compatible to two versions, something no other pagelayout application can do.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 03, 2011 Oct 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I amhaving this problem -- but the original file was created in CS5 and that's what I'm trying to open it with. It was created on a PC, and I can open it with the CS5 version I have on my Mac desktop. I installed the same version of CS5 on my new MacBook and I'm getting the update plug in problem.

The first missing plug in I get is for "sharedcontent.rpln". I click to open anyway and get another box with an even longer list.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2011 Oct 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s a CS5.5 file.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is, but oddly I don't have trouble on my desktop opening the 5.5 files in CS5. Guess I'll just have to upgrade the whole shebang to 5.5.

Sent from me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ebellit, CS5.5 files simply do not open in CS5. Not for you, not for anyone.

It is not uncommon for people to be confused about which version they are running when. And sometimes double-clicking the file in the Finder or Explorer does not open in the version you expect, and also the appearance of the file icon does not faithfully reflect what version saved the file. This leads to...mass confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines