• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 3- How do I batch process a group of photos with the same preset?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2010 Sep 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Lightroom 3/Mac.  Attempting to apply a preset to a group of photos. I read the forum already but what I read didn't make sense to me. Sorry. Also wondering if anyone else is plagued by Lightroom's tendency to take over the monitor. Whenever I want to switch to another application, I end up having to "Hide Lightroom" to get it to move. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Russ

Altadena, CA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

ahreff wrote:

Using Lightroom 3/Mac.  Attempting to apply a preset to a group of photos. I read the forum already but what I read didn't make sense to me. Sorry. Also wondering if anyone else is plagued by Lightroom's tendency to take over the monitor. Whenever I want to switch to another application, I end up having to "Hide Lightroom" to get it to move. Any thoughts?

Probably the best way to apply a preset to a number of photos is to apply it to one, then sync selective changes to the other phot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahreff wrote:

Probably the best way to apply a preset to a number of photos is to apply it to one, then sync selective changes to the other photos.

Lightroom has three main view sizes.  Use "F" to cycle through them.  You are probably on the full-screen version, which uses the entire screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my confusion was that when in "develop" mode, it wasn't apparent to me how you could select all the other files without going back to the "library" mode where the presets aren't available. i realized that, while in "develop", if you "select all" and then apply the desired preset via the "Presets" menu on the left-hand side, it will affect all the photos. hope that makes sense. all the same, thanks for your help

russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 23, 2010 Sep 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that will work.  But you should look into the "Sync" capabilities in Develop, which are very, very powerful.

Also, I *think* develop presets can be applied to the entire filmstrip in that module. I'm not near Lr at the moment to try it (and you can tell I often just sync changes based on one or more photos, and mostly use presets for one-offs.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 23, 2010 Sep 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Russ,

If you are in AutoSync mode within the Develop module, you can select multiple images in the filmstrip below without going back to the Library and it will apply all changes to all images selected.  This includes presets in the develop module.  Very dangerous mode and I usually leave it off by default.

There are two more options when in the Library mode.

(1) If you select multiple images then right-click you mouse and bring up the Develop presets, it will apply them to all the selected images.

(2) If you again select multiple images, right on the Quick Development bar is the preset combo-box.  Simple select the desired preset and it will be applied to all selected images.

As a side note, It used to be that there was a difference between selecting images in the grid versus below on the filmstrip but it appears with version 3.2 that differences has been removed and regardless of where you make multiple selections, all items selected will receive treatment.  I have briefly tested this for this post so have more testing to do but this would be a nice feature correction if my initial testing is correct!

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 24, 2010 Sep 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you make a Quick Collection of all the photos you want to apply the preset to, and then display just that collection. When you are satisfied that the collection contains ONLY those photos you want the preset to apply to, select them all and apply the preset in the Quick Develop panel in the Library module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2010 Sep 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a BIG problem, and it does not seem to be noted...  what am I doing wrong?

When I select All for the presets to be applied to, it will ONLY apply it to the ones that are currently being viewed on the screen.  I have to keep watching it and scrolling it down for it to work, which really defeats the purpose.

What am I doing wrong? Surely LR3 is not that hard in this area.

My screen holds about 100 images and I am usually bulk processing 400+

Thanks for any answers.

Malinda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Malinda,

What module are you applying the preset in? If in Develop, and selecting the photos in the film strip, you have to activate AutoSync in order to have the preset applied to all selected photos.

Make sure you switch AutoSync off again right afterwards, as this is a setting messing up a lot of images accidentally when beeing switched on.

When in Library, select the images in the Grid. You might have to wait a while after applying the preset, until the previews are rebuilt.

Beat Gossweiler

Switzerland

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are applying the Presets in the Library to begin with and it will only do the images that are on the screen, not all of them.  We have to scroll down.  We have a preset for importing the images ...

Then again in Develope it does the same thing.  So how does the sync work? Or should I choose all in the filmstrip?

malinda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work in Library also. Are you sure you waited long enough for the previews to be updated?

In Develop, select all the images you want to apply the preset to in the filmstrip, click the little switch to the left of the "Sync" button to enable AutoSync, and apply the preset.

Beat Gossweiler

Switzerland

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your help...  I'll give that a try right now... seems like that is a little strange because it would be so easy to leave that clicked "on".  But I am going to give it a try.

Thank you

malinda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it and it will wait for me to scroll down to process the next images.   it is like it will only process the images that are visable on the screen and yes,  I waited for it to do it. 

This is very frustrating because we can't go work on something else I have to sit and wait for each screen..

Does this happen to anyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2010 Nov 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is confusing because the history panel doesn't show the preset has been applied it only shows Synchronize Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new at LR 3 and I am trying to understand these presets.

Let's say I want a BW present. I want to batch all the files. 

Do I batch them first and then go in an adjust/develope images to export?

Or (and the reason I am asking) I wanted to apply a soft focus to all my image but I have

already done all my adjustments to each one.  If I hit sync, I can't select "none" otherwise nothing happens.

What I am doing wrong or don't understand?

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello The batch process of images is a great tool for LR3.

Find the file you want to "import"

drag to LR while in Library mode

over to the right choose the preset you want from the drop down menu

then choose "import"

The preset will be applied as it is being imported

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but can I do the same thing "after" I have already worked on images in Develop mode?

You see I have already done the work to all these imaged and I just to apply a soft focus over all of them.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, I didn't read your question correctly   Yes, you may apply the presets AFTER you have worked on them in develop.  Use the presets drop down on the right hand side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Mac.  So do you mean the presets on the left?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, in develope they are on the left

be sure and "select all"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok...I select all and then what?  Hit the preset I want?  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried that it only changes the one in the large preview area even though all are selected.

What the heck am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

ok do this:

1) you have done all your adjustments in develope right?

2) simply click "Library" and then on the right hand side chose the preset you want

This will apply the preset to all of your images without changing anything you did to them in Develope UNLESS you have your preset with aLL the boxes checked.  If you do that, it will change all your adjustments to meet that preset

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Malinda!  That did it!

Now I can export and relax.  Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could help, Frank.

I hate it when I KNOW there has to be a way to do something but I can't find it.  The internet strikes again!

good luck! have a great weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can certainly see why doing a preset prior is better than after.  At least the soft focus is done and then you can adjust.  If you know of any cool free soft focus presents....point me in the direction.  Thanks again for taking the time.  That was so kind of you. 

Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines