• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open RH 8 in Win Vista

Sep 24, 2010 Sep 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You might notice that I haven't posted much to the forum.  That is because I've been very satisfied with RoboHelp 8, up to this point.

My company bought RH 8 in Aug 09, and I've used it regularly since then. Usually when we come out with a new release of our product, I've written the  online help first, and the paper documentation after that.  This time, I've done things differently, and done the paper documentation first.  As a result, I haven't used RoboHelp for several months.  I tried to open it yesterday, and it will NOT open.  When the splash screen displays, it gets to where the HTML drivers are being loaded, and stops at that point.  So, here is what I've done.

1. Tried to open a sample project by clicking on an XPJ file.  No luck.  I deleted the CPD file for that project, and again tried to open it.  No luck.

2.  Defragged the computer, tried to open RH 8, no luck.

3.  Completly deleted RH 8, and installed a new instance.  No luck

4.  Deleted installed software that had been installed since RH 8.  No luck

I don't have an older restore point to which I can go back.  All of my projects (3 major ones) have been worked on in my computer, not on the network.

I'm sure that there is something that I've overlooked, but it doesn't come to mind at the moment.  I've consulted with some of the IT people in our company, and they haven't suggested anything else either.

Any input that would help me resolve this problem would be truly appreciated.  Thanks in advance,

Vic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2010 Sep 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm! Did you ever get RH8 working? I'm assuming you have and that this is a new problem. Would you have installed a new version of MS Office? This may have affected the RH8 install as it requires MS Word to be installed first. There may well also have been a DLL somewhere that has been overwritten as part of another install. Also you say you have uninstalled and reinstalled applications but maybe some details have been left behind in the registry. This is all a bit speculative as there are so many variables. All I can offer is that if RH8 was working OK, there must have been something that has happened since to cause it to stop working.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vic.

I fear my previous response may have been incorrect as the dependency between RH and MS Word was removed in RH8. Peter Grainge seems to think there was a similar problem recently that was solved by a new Windows profile. try creating a new user on the PC or logging on with another user. That should help narrow down the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

I've logged in under a different, bare bones, profile.  There is no difference.  RH crashes at the same place. I've thought about reinstalling Windows and MS Office 2007, but I'll wait to hear from you.  Thanks in advance,

Vic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you do that, try getting your IT peeps to create a new profile for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum,

Do you mean a completly new profile for me?  My IT guy indicated that the bare bones profile that I used was "new", because it was new to the computer.

Please let me know what you think.  Thanks,

Vic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2010 Sep 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, a reinstall may be the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 30, 2010 Sep 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Colum,

My IT guy has installed Windows 7 (64bit).  I've installed RH 8, and I'm going to work with, and modify, one of my old projects.  At this point,

the project generates just fine, and Win 7 is much more stable than Vista.  Since no immediate solution presented itself, you can close this thread.  Thanks for your help.

Vic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp