1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 176 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 2:08 PM by Larry MacLennan Go to original post
      • 160. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
        SarahPiranha

Hi All,

FIrstly, as Sleasyridr said above, thanks for all the feedback and information in this forum, I've been having the 'crash on build' problem with Encore CS3 since the first time I tried to build a DVD. I tried all the suggestions on here, deleting the .xmp information of the files, the information about the nVidiao Graphics card - this was a worry as being on a Mac there are no drivers to update - and the general 'sometimes projects just go awry' comments. I've continued to try and get my Encore to not crash and build a DVD and today I hit something of a breakthrough. I'll point out now that my project is still transcoding, so it could all go to pot still, but considering I've not got this far before, I'm taking this as something of a success.

I found an article on the Adobe support (this one) and deleted the transcoded files, I then made sure my overrides weren't screwy because I read that Encore might have a fit if they weren't correct (I followed a tutorial on play all and play individual movies, this one, to make sure) and then finally, I read on a creativecow forum topic that inserting blank media into my DVD drive before either checking the project and then building had worked for someone else. I was a little sceptical, I admit, (and when I put the blank DVD in, Toast opened itself and is still running - it would have ejected the disk if I'd ended the programme) but either that or all or a combination of the above has meant my project is now transcoding, which I've never managed to get it doing before.

I know the chances of this working for other people are slim, but something worked for my project/machine/software so maybe it will help someone else.

Ta, Sarah

• 161. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
          sleasyridr

Thanks for the information Sarah, but I don't think this will help in my situation since mine will crash when I try to import an asset. So I never can even get to the point of transcoding files or doing any work at all in the application. Encore CS3 is still working flawlessly as well as all other CS4 applications including premiere CS4. It is really sad all the workarounds everyone seems to be having to go through for one application that is obviously full of bugs and should be getting more support from Adobe to address these issues without having each person do a workaround for their particular systems or issues when all other application work fine on their systems.

Glad to hear you are making progress and I am able to do what I need to with CS3.

Bob AKA sleasyridr

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 05:09:27 -0600

To: sleasyridr@hotmail.com

Subject: Encore CS4 constantly crashes

Hi All,

FIrstly, as Sleasyridr said above, thanks for all the feedback and information in this forum, I've been having the 'crash on build' problem with Encore CS3 since the first time I tried to build a DVD. I tried all the suggestions on here, deleting the .xmp information of the files, the information about the nVidiao Graphics card - this was a worry as being on a Mac there are no drivers to update - and the general 'sometimes projects just go awry' comments. I've continued to try and get my Encore to not crash and build a DVD and today I hit something of a breakthrough. I'll point out now that my project is still transcoding, so it could all go to pot still, but considering I've not got this far before, I'm taking this as something of a success.

I found an article on the Adobe support (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401283.html) and deleted the transcoded files, I then made sure my overrides weren't screwy because I read that Encore might have a fit if they weren't correct (I followed a tutorial on play all and play individual movies, http://library.creativecow.net/articles/kurkoski_tim/play_all.php, to make sure) and then finally, I read on a creativecow forum topic that inserting blank media into my DVD drive before either checking the project and then building had worked for someone else. I was a little sceptical, I admit, (and when I put the blank DVD in, Toast opened itself and is still running - it would have ejected the disk if I'd ended the programme) but either that or all or a combination of the above has meant my project is now transcoding, which I've never managed to get it doing before.

I know the chances of this working for other people are slim, but something worked for my project/machine/software so maybe it will help someone else.

Ta, Sarah

>

• 162. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
            Stanton Jones

There's a Roxio patch on one of my recent threads that will fix that import problem. Search for my username and find it..

Sent from my iPhone

• 163. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
              sleasyridr Level 1

Drew thanks for the help. I was sure I had tried this fix and even had 2 copies of it on my computer already but I tried it again and it did fix the import problem.

Thanks again.

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:44:48 -0600

To: sleasyridr@hotmail.com

Subject: Encore CS4 constantly crashes

There's a Roxio patch on one of my recent threads that will fix that import problem. Search for my username and find it..

Sent from my iPhone

>

• 164. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news and glad that the Roxio "fix" worked.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 165. Roxio patch worked!!!
                  Pijetro Level 1

Oh Lord!!!!

Finally...I didn't wanna download it .I didn't believe it.

But the patch worked.

Encore didn't hang during encode (like most people were experiencing), but during importing audio as assets for menus..

Never had this problem with 2.0

I was one step away from curling up into a little ball in the corner, sucking my thumb, and wishing i went to a MAC..

In about 4 1/2 hours i need to punch in for the morning shift..

Being i had issues with AME earlier, i must say this off the record.

Spending hard earned money on CS4 Master collection and losing lots of sleep over issues like this, invariably leaves a bad taste in my mouth..

Thanks for the links boys and girls....

• 166. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                    caswann

Hi all

I spent all of yesterday reading through these posts as I had a similar problem - Encore (Master collection CS4) was hanging when I tried to start a new timeline.  My work computer is a Lenovo workstation with 4 GB RAM and a Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX graphic card (the Quadro 1700 which came with the machine would not allow openGL).  Encore was working fine when my computer had Vista 32-bit and then I upgraded to Vista 64-bit.  I don't have a lot of options with this computer as it is a work one, and on a huge, complicated network (university).  So ... I checked the security options, made myself administrator - full control.  I uninstalled CS4 and then reinstalled it.  I ran the updates, I updated the video card drivers (last one only came out last week), I uninstalled Quicktime, I updated the Roxio stuff, I turned off "enable OpenGL" in photoshop ... still no luck.  I went home.  This morning I reinstalled an old version of Quicktime (7.50.61), then tried Encore again before biting the bullet and ringing my IT people.  Lo and behold - Encore is now working and busily encoding.  Is this magic?  Is it because the sun is shining and it's a beautiful day?  What of all those things worked?

This probably didn't add much to all these discussions but at least it had a happy ending.  I had thought it was to do with the network spreading its tentacles throughout my computer and making a good machine into a pale shadow of itself.  I was gearing for battle with the IT guys to get rid of those tentacles but I think I'll leave that battle for another day.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• 167. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                      foxetown

I've tried all the mentioned fixes, (except for reinstalling Quicktime).   My only work around

is to use the h.264 media output on premiere.   Those files pull onto the Encore timeline without a problem. 

My native Sony EX1 MP4 files work as well.  Nothing else does.   For those of you who are format gurus, does this say anything about the nature of the problem?

• 168. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                        SimonB76

Just in case anyone else stumbles across this thread. Like I did, after an 8 hour transcode crashed with an impending next day deadline. I am on a Mac, with a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. My footage was recorded on an EX1 (XDCam). This is what worked for me. Export an uncompressed QT from final cut. Then compress to an Mpeg 2 in compressor. My issue was the transcoding in Encore i.e. it's better (or at least works for me) taking an Mv2 into Encore. It could have also crashed due to the size of the video file (does Encore estimate the size of the final DVD? Anyway compressor made a good job of reducing the file size from a 15 GB vid file to 2.3 GB. Hope this helps someone.......

• 169. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                          M1ChA3L_Th0

Hey there, ive got similiar problems with encore. yesterday it was working fine and today its dead!

On this thread Jeff Bellune said to try on a different admin account, well that worked for me...

But how do i fix the original accounts encore now? the advice he gave was for xp users i think, im running

windows 7.

The crash happens in the beginning when it says " initializing transcoding ".

I think the problem might have come with an update. I was using DriverMax to find all my PC's updates.

But i dont know which one to roll back since i installed like 20 different updates lol. and since its working

on another admin account, i dont think there is any compatibility issues involved.

Hope to hear from u guys soon.

Thanks in advance

• 170. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                            trevorwshaw

WIndows XP SP 3, 2G RAM, GEForce 6200

My Encore would not start/crashed regularly with BSOD or request to send debug info. to Adobe. It still crashes sometimes at exit and I hacked around for a week to find various solutions. I tried re-install several times, but then I started out creating a new user a/c each time, but saw advice to remove C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Encore and this worked to the extent I could use product. I have an instinct that you shouldn't surprise it - let Processor and disc activity die down before moving on!

Nothing new here but at least I've now burnt a DVD!

• 171. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

A BSOD is almost always a hardware issue.

The big culprits are:

1.) Heat

2.) RAM

3.) Power Supply Unit

4.) MoBo

5.) Internal connections

Before I went looking for a software cause, I would rule out ALL hardware first, or one can spend all their time, joisting at windmills.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 172. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLES links to others with some great, and useful tools for troubleshooting.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 173. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                  trevorwshaw Level 1

Thanks for that Bill - h/w may well be culprit.

But I hadn't seen BSOD for many years until I started using Encore.

One failure was an attempt to write to ROM.

I guess this App. exercises h/w considerably, and I notice fan coming on frequently.

If any chips are on their spec. limit it could well be heat triggering a crash.

In practical terms of chasing a h/w fault down, it may be better to buy a new machine - mine is on the lower side of the requirements.

It might be nice if there were a list of machine configs. that were known to be problem free - but I guess those people wouldn't be looking at this forum!

Thanks again

• 174. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

What often happens is that a certain program puts a strain on a weakened system, and causes it to fail. That is what a BSOD is - a systemic failure.

Video editing and authoring are stressful and will point up many weaknesses. This is not a problem with the program, but that it is just using more resources, both hardware and software, than say an e-mail reader.

If a system is prone to heat-related problems, then Exporting/Transcoding will build up more heat, in both the CPU and the HDD's. This increased activity, and heat production, can shut down a weak system in a heartbeat.

The first thought is that the software is at fault, but all it did was point up an existing fault.

Good luck, and hope that you find the weak link in the chain.

Hunt

• 175. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                      Stanton Jones Level 1

Asus P6T

Intel i7 2.66 ghz

6 gigs of triple channel ddr3

Windows 7 64bit (oem version is cheap)

A fat new power supply

Nvidia quadro video accelerator

There's a "px engine" by roxio in one of my former threads that solves a problem with encore crashing upon creation of a new timeline among other odd things that make it crash.

I use encore and premeire constantly to edit weddings and encore for DVD and bluray.. It crashes sometimes but I get alot of work done.

Sent from my iPhone

• 176. Re: Encore CS4 constantly crashes
                                        Larry MacLennan

Hi Everyone.

I wanted to post my experience with fixing CRASHING ENCORE CS4 DURING BUILD (transcoding), I read this thread yesterday and it helped me take some actions to get a build to complete. I have CS4 Master collection installed on Dell XPS 410 WIN XP Media Center system. Details later.

I have been capturing some personal VHS to make DVD on the video card from dell, ANGEL II MPEG device. Initially I was using Roxio My DVD Plus to do MPEG captures, and using that to make DVD. Then I figured I would try my Adobe Encore. I did succeed in creating DVD with Encore using MPEG from My DVD Plus, that had about 10 chapter points that spread across 2 menus.

Now I wanted to now create DVD of old VHS tape from family 8mm movies. So this was a 2 hour VHS tape and this time I captured using Windows Movie Maker into WMV file.  The WMV file is 1.74 Gb 2079 kbps 720x480.

The 8mm films are all either about 1 min 30 sec or 3 min 45 sec, and I created a chapter for all, and this project had 44 chapters. The menu had 9 chapter entries and built out to 4 menu screens. I deleted the empty audio track from the WMV, and created a new track, and dragged about 15 - 18 3-6 minute 128 Kbps MP3 files for the audio track.

All the editing, chapter marking, menu building etc was fine in Encore. And I had build settings to DVD folder, and that would work, I could preview the

DVD menus all okay.

So when I went to build to DVD, the build started and somewhere deep into the first video transcoding step, the computer BLUE-SCREENED !!

Next day, I disabled McAfee for the builds

I had 2 episodes of "Encore encountered a problem" crash dialog deep into the initial video transcoding.

Some of the interesting Adobe CRASH REPORT DETAIL were:

<crashreport version="1.1" crVersion="3.0.20080806" applicationName="Adobe Encore" applicationVersion="4.0.1.048" build="unknown">

<crash exception="EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" instruction="0x23162426">

<stackStatement index="4" address="0x7c80b729" symbolname="GetModuleFileNameA"/>

Then I found this Adobe Forum thread.

I remembered that I had performed the NVIDIA GeFOrce 7300 LE driver update some time ago after installing CS4 Master collection, I think at that time either Premiere or Encore WOULD NOT EVEN START.

So what I did that allowed me to complete this build was:

1) un-install Quicktime and re-boot.

2) perform another NVidia update.

Sorry that I have done both, to the "fix" is still murky, but anyway, I got this to build to DVD okay. This was the only one, so I dont know if its all good for future efforts.

Here is my computer:

Win XP Media Center Edition, Ver 2002, SP 3

Dell Dimension DXP061

Intel Core 2 CPU, 6600 @ 2.40 GHz, 2.39 GHz

3.0 Gb RAM

926 Gb Disk Drive

SETUP INFORMATION CPU:

Intel Core 2, 2.4 GHz

System Bus: 1066 MHz

PID: 06F6

64Bit: Yes Intel EM64T

SETUP INFORMATION MEMORY:

4.0 Gb, 667 MHz

Dual Interleaved

DDR2 SDRAM

NVIDIA GeFOrce 7300 LE DRIVER INFORMATION

On May 5, 2009 I performed first update from Dell factory setup

OLD: 6/16/2006 8.2.6.8

NEW: 9/17/2007 6.14.11.6371

Actually yesterday the Driver read this, so I must have had one other NVidia driver update somewhere

11/20/2009 6.14.11.9562

I was having ENCORE problems with this. I got to the NVIDIA Driver Downloads page from NVIDIA control panel on computer

I let the web page "Scan my computer". Here is what it said:

Product: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE

Current Installed Driver: 195.62

Latest Driver Update: GeForce/ION Release 256

Version: 258.96 WHQL

Release Date: July 19, 2010

So I downloaded the NVidia driver update installer EXE from NVidia, and ran it

NVIDIA DRIVER DETAILS yesterday Sept 28, 2010

OLD: 11/20/2009 6.14.11.9562

NEW: 07/09/2010 6.14.12.5896

This worked (along with having un-installed Quicktime)

Hope this may help someone

1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next