• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Troubleshooting Styles: css not applied to some topics

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2010 Sep 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am using RB8 HTML.  i am not skilled with html code and use the 'design' view for most of my work.

i recently made some color changes to a style (background color) in the default.css however it does not apply the change to all topics.  when i use the 'html' view to compare topics with the old color to topics with the new color, there appears to be a lot of baggage at the beginning of the code (highlighted in yellow) for all the various styles.  the old color is in there.

other info:

-an FAR tool i am using is finding 2168 occurrences in 724 files for the defined old color, but doesnt always acknowledge the surrounding html code.  i had used the FAR to delete some of them already, but i am more concerned about why some topics have a lot of this style definition within the topic and some dont.

-i dont know if this is helpful, but some of these files were probably originally created using RBx5.  i inherited the files, so i have no idea how they were originally created.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Did we possibly forget to add the image?

I say this because of your reference to "highlighted in yellow". It would seem you are meaning to show us something that isn't there.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, i just figured the yellow highlighting was standard in RH.  but since you asked.

looks like there is a section for font definitions and style definitions.  the topics that are accepting the css do not have any of this.

Capture1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

That's a common issue with CSS. I tend to think along the lines of City/State/Country.

You have defined styles in your CSS. That's like the USA making a law that says "In the USA the maximum speed limit is 70". So the CSS file is like the national law.

In your topic, you have something called an Embedded style. This is like being in the state of Iowa and in that state the maximum speed limit may be 55. So even though the Federal law is different, the State law overrides it.

To adjust this you simply delete the CSS in the topic. Generally, I will simply highlight all the Style lines and remove all of them. Almost never do I want an embedded style.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is what i was afraid of.  i was just hoping there would be a global way to delete them instead of having to go throu

gh 724 topics.  also, i am not familiar with the html, so while i think i can identify the font/formatting styles and delete them, i am concerned that there may be other lingering items.

do you think it is safe to delete everything between the ....<style type="text/css">/*<![CDATA[*/ ....and the .....  /*]]>*/</style>.... that seems to end the style definitions?

Capture1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's precisely what I would do.

You might also try downloading FAR (Find And Replace). This is a tool that was created and is maintained by Rob Chandler a fellow Micrsoft MVP. The tool should help you whisk through the hundreds of topics and remove those lines with little effort on your part.

As with anything with a tool like this, you are making some sweeping changes. So my advice would be to have a good backup on hand in case the saw gets out of whack and goes off in a bizarre direction.

You may download FAR by visiting the site linked below:

Click here to view the FAR site

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that you applied a separate background locally? If so, that will override the background definition in the .css.

To test this - take one of the topics and go look at the format of the topic locally. If you see a definition there (image or color), that is what is being used, rather than the .css definition.

Hope this helps,

Paula

Paula R. Stern

CEO, WritePoint Ltd.

Adobe Community Professional

Techshoret List Owner/Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp