• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Elements 9 Tryout Serious Display Problem

LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2010 Sep 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will confine my editorializing to "Deja vu, all over again" and describe the Premiere Elements 9 problem that sounds like I was reliving the release of Premiere Elements 8.

I downloaded and installed Premiere Elements 9 tryout, and it worked great for about 7 days. With no changes in the computer environment, suddenly when Premiere Elements 9 was loading a new project, it would stop at PlayerMediaCore.prm and pop up a message:

"We have detected an incompatible driver. To get a better and faster playback performance, please update your display driver. Display driver details: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce....." and it went on to fully name my video card driver. When I clicked on OK, the program continued to load completely and opened to the workspace where the Edit Mode Monitor performance was, best described as, wacky....Timeline content that would not present in the Edit Mode Monitor, Preview Windows that froze in the Edit Mode Monitor, etc. And, Edit Mode Full Screen Previews did not work at all. The technical irony in all this was that I have Premiere Elements 6, 7, and 8/8.0.1 all installed on the same computer, and all were still performing great when I was using them one at a time as a control.

When I went to Hardware/Device Manager and attempted to "update" my NVIDIA card driver, the "update" that installed automatically was older than what is was replacing. BUT, now Premiere Elements 9 did work as expected. HOWEVER, now my Premiere Elements 6, 7, and 8/8.0.1 were crashing at various times from loading to opening of the workspace. I am still hunting for a replacement NVIDIA driver that will fix the Premiere Elements 9 display issue and not kill my Premiere Elements 6, 7, and 8/8.0.1.

In investigating this matter, I noticed that the Premiere Elements 8/8.0.1 "Enable GPU Playback" is gone in version 9. And, now, if you right click the Premiere Elements 9 Edit Mode Monitor, you have a Playback Quality option of Automatic or Highest. That tells me that Adobe was at work making changes in the name of better. And, I am wondering if what I am encountering is related to Adobe's attempted improvements in display which was one of the issues in Premiere Elements 8.0 when it was released. Or, could this be related to making AVCHD a native format? Lots of possibilities.

The above is my long way of saying "Has anyone run into this type of situation with Premiere Elements 9, any workarounds found (other than buying a new video card just for Premiere Elements 9, ???"

At this point, I know of one other person who got a similar message from Premiere Elements 9 and resolved the problem by updating the NVIDIA card driver. But that still raises the question "Do we need a special video card driver just for Premiere Elements 9?" and "Why?"

ATR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 30, 2010 Sep 30, 2010

Hi Romano,

Please try again (i.e. just re-launch app) after deleting “\\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\BadDrivers.txt” file.

If you face the same problem again then please send us the complete driver details shown in the message box.

Cheers,

Vijay

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NVIDIA routinely provided a driver update each month. But the current version (258.96 WHQL) was released in July. If you are getting an older version via Device Manager you should use the web download at http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us.

Also available is v260.63 Beta from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us which might be worth trying.

For best results uninstall the current driver first.

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neale

Thanks.

Since I posted this thread and before I saw your message, I was to the NVIDIA site (same links that you posted).

NVIDIA tells me I have the latest version of the driver for the video card type that I have. I downloaded what they showed anyway, uninstalled what I had, turned off the antivirus, and installed NVIDIA's "latest". Same result, that Premiere Elements 9 display warning message and the "wacky" Edit Mode Monitor previews once I OK's the warnimg message and the workspace opened.

I need to think on this some more.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Romano,

Please try again (i.e. just re-launch app) after deleting “\\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\BadDrivers.txt” file.

If you face the same problem again then please send us the complete driver details shown in the message box.

Cheers,

Vijay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vijay

Your suggestion to delete the Premiere Elements 9 Bad Driver.txt file resolved the display issue that I described for the Premiere Elements 9 tryout that I had in my Windows XP Professional SP3 NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 with AGP8X computer environment. Now all is well with everything "Display", including Edit Mode Monitor and Full Screen Previews. For that I give you many thanks. The timely and right on fix were much appreciated.

Since your address suggests that you work for Adobe, are you at liberty to go into more details on the nature of this Bad Driver.txt file. I am particularly interested in learning why it took 7 days after the Premiere Elements 9 tryout download/installation and successful use of the tryout before the problem appeared. I did not see this type of problem mentioned in the Known Issues of the Premiere Elements 9 Read Me file.

Again thank you.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 02, 2010 Oct 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Vijay. That fixed the display problem on my machine, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2010 Dec 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, and have the newest driver possible. I would like to try to find this BadDriver.txt file, but I do not know how. I would like to be able to use my trial while I still have it! It would be great if you, or anyone else, could explain to me how to find and delete this file.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2010 Dec 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was my experience with the Premiere Elements 9 trial version display issue:

a. had to delete the BadDrivers.txt file (See post #3 in this thread for the how to)

And, yes BadDrivers.txt file will be regenerated after you delete it, but the text is different in the program regenerated BadDrivers.txt file.

b. had to replace the VideoRenderer.dll with a download VideoRenderer.dll from Adobe

(See thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/737108?tstart=0

If you have any concerns about hidden folders, in Windows XP Professional, I used Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/and the Show All Hidden Files and Folders option.

A lot has been written on all this. Please re-read this thread and its links as well as the content in the link included in this post.

a. and b. above solved my Premiere Elements 9 trial version display issues. My NVIDIA display card was up to date, so the updating the display card to its latest version was not an option for me. Remember that the VideoRenderer.dll issue is supposed to be restricted to the trial version, not the purchased one with serial number.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2010 Oct 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bought Premiere Elements 9 and experienced the same problem.  Went to the NVIDIA web site suggested above, ensured I identified the correct driver (NVIDIA GeForece G105M) and downloaded the latest driver (Rlease 256 dated July 2010).  After installation, my vidio problems were solved.  Seams to be working fine!!!

Thanks for the fantastic advice from Nealeh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like seeing all these positive results. A video driver update can work wonders.

Good luck to all,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunt

There is more to this story than meets the eye. And, until Vijay or someone at Adobe comes forward and explains what the BadDrivers.txt file in Premiere Elements 9 is all about, updating the video card driver seems to me to be a dangerous generalization.

In my case (before Vijay's intervention), Premiere Elements 6.0, 7.0, and 8.0/8.0.1 all had great displays and a Full Screen Feature. When Premiere Elements 9 was installed, enter the Premiere Elements 9 Edit Mode Monitor display and Full Screen problems while all the other versions were performing great in the same computer.  As I said before, according to NVIDIA, I had the latest card version installed. The real irony of the "update video card driver" generalization is that, in my case, downgrading my video card driver got rid of the Premiere Elements 9 problems, but left the other previously working program down (crashes).

It was ONLY Vijay's suggestion to delete the Premiere Elements 9 BadDrivers.txt file that turned out to be the real answer. Apparently, after its deletion, the BadDrivers.txt file is regenerated once the program is restarted. Vijay's suggestion resulted in ALL the versions of Premiere Elements with functioning Edit Mode Monitor displays as well as Full Screen previews.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a return visit will shed light on the BadDrivers.txt file.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If GPU card is available on a system, PRE9 uses that card for faster and smoother playback. If the driver version installed on the mechine is not compatible with PRE9,  that driver version is stored in BadDrivers.txt file and then PRE9 runs in pure software mode to avoid any further crashes/problems due to that bad driver. It generally happens when driver promises to support some GPU capabilities but actually doesn't support those capabilities at all...

In this scenario, PRE9 shows a warning message to users that driver installed on the machine is not compatible and user should update display driver.  Generally updating to latest display driver should solve this problem: if latest driver is compatibe with PRE9, PRE9 will run in normal mode with faster and smoother playback. (As in case of Hunt & jjjbbbqqq)

Sometimes, as in case of Ron, even the latest driver shows *inconsistent* incomaptibility with PRE9. And in this case deleting "BadDrivers.txt" file should work.

If an user is observing consistent incompatibility (even after deleting "BadDrivers.txt" file the same message pops up again) with the latest driver then that driver is really a bad driver for PRE9 and with that driver PRE9 will always run in pure software mode. There is a very little probability of this kind of card and driver.

So in summary,

if user is getting warning message : "We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a better and faster playback performance, please update your display driver "

1. User should try to get the latest driver for the card available on those systems,

2. If user is getting same message again even after updating the driver, try to re-launch app after deleting BadDrivers.txt file,

3. If even deleting “BadDrivers.txt” is not working and they are again getting same message, then that driver is really a bad driver for PRE9. PRE9 will run in pure software mode in that case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2010 Oct 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vijay/PRE9 Forum

Thank you very much for the details related Premiere Elements 9 BadDrivers.text file.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2010 Oct 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! I have the same problem on a Sony laptop running

Windows 7 Ultimate. I updated to the latest video drivers--no success.

I tried to delete the Bad Driver text file but cannot find it. Where would it be on my machine?

Thank you very much.

Alan Silberlight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alan

Vijay described the path back in post #3 of this thread

Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\BadDrivers.txt” file.

That worked for me with Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit. Not sure of location in other versions of Windows...maybe this link will help on that matter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Where-are-my-files-and-folders-after-upgrading-from-Windows-XP-or-Windows-Vista

After intallation of Premiere Elements 9 trial version, BadDrivers.txt may not appear until AFTER (at least) one project opening. Once you see it and delete it from the location cited above, it will regenerate the next time you go looking for it.

Please let me know if you need anymore details on this.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding. I opened APE-9 once again, creating a new project

. I looked for the Bad Driver file but could not find it.

By the way, I also installed the trial version in a Dell desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and have not experienced the problem.

Also, I did a search for the Bad Driver file but it turned up nothing.

Alan Silberlight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you upgrad the display driver?  That is what worked for me (HP Pavilion

runnings Windows 7).

Go to this path for Adobe forum that solves the video problem:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/732067?tstart=0

I went to NVIDIA page to download the latest verson of display driver: 

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us

Maybe that will work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2010 Oct 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding. I did upgrade the video driver...same result. Also, NVidia's page mentions that the available driver is not for Sony Vaio laptops. I upgraded by going to Sony's page.

Still cannot find the Bad Driver text file.....

Alan Silberlight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2010 Oct 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alan,

Paths for BadDrivers.txt:

Win7: <rootdrive>\ProgramData\Adobe\PremiereElements\9.0\

Win XP: <rootdrive>\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\

Also look at my comment on http://forums.adobe.com/thread/728439 for similar issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2010 Oct 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again for your intervention on this Premiere Elements 9 display issue which is a serious concern of many.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My thanks to both Daksha 123 and A.T. Romano. I was able to delete the Bad Driver file. However, I still get the bad driver message. Hopefully, Adobe will issue some sort of patch. Luckily, I have another computer with which to work. Others might have to rely on just one, finding that the program is not displaying video.

Alan Silberlight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alan

Thanks for the follow up.

Are you going to install Premiere Elements 9 on the other computer? Or, do you have a prior version of Premiere Elements that you use on the other computer?

If you do install Premiere Elements 9 to another computer, it will be interesting to see how it performs there and note the differences between the two computers.

If you get time, any further information would be very helpful to getting at any and all of these display problems with Premiere Elements 9, be it trial version or purchased version.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2010 Oct 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Vijay and A.T. Romano:

I am happy to help out any way I can. First, I do plan on installing PE9.0 on 2 other computers, both running Windows XP. Currently, both of these computers (Dell desktop and laptop) have PE2.0 running, with no problems. I will try to do these installations later on today.

The 2 new computers have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. While I have installed PE2.0 on these computers, the program runs slowly. I assume PE2.0 and Windows 7 are not compatible. As I mentioned before, PE 9.0 runs fine on the Dell desktop. It does not play videos on the Sony laptop.

The contents of the text file are..

##FALSE#0#0#0

The error message when the program is launched is..

Display driver details :NVIDIA Corporation – GeForce GT 330M/PCI/SSE2 3.0 NVIDIA 188.67

I do hope this help. I can only guess that the problem is wide spread.

Thank you again.

Alan Silberlight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2010 Oct 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update--I installed PE9 on 2 machines, a 7 year old Dell desktop and a 5 year old Dell laptop. Both computers are running XP. The program does work but the videos do not play smoothly---probably because PE9 needs newer, stronger computers. I did see an error message on the desktop that said that the video display (or driver?) was a generic Microsoft one. That occurred the first time I launched the program but not the second time.

Mr first intention was to install PE 9 on 2 machines, the new ones running Windows 7. Unfortunately, the program does not seem to like the driver on the Sony Vaio laptop. Can't go to manufacturer's website; I must use only the driver on Sony's website.
I would ask if the people who have had this problem have Sony Vaio laptops or those of other manufacturers.
Thank you very much.
Alan Silberlight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines