• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'x-next' being inserted into .css

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are required to do a W3C CSS validation of all projects. I actually wrote my css without using the Styles and Formatting pod. I didn't add any 'x-next' into my styles, but they get inserted anyway, as you will see below:

H2 {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
margin-left: 0px;
color: #000000;
font-family: Arial;
font-size: 20px;
letter-spacing: normal;
margin-bottom: 6px;
x-next-class: ;
x-next-type: P;
margin-top: 24px;
}

I noticed in a sample they also had these all over the table styles:

table.Colorful1 {

padding: 0px;

border-left-style: Solid;

border-left-width: 1px;

border-left-color: #000000;

border-top-style: Solid;

border-top-width: 1px;

border-top-color: #000000;

x-border-spacing: 0px;

x-1st-row: 1;

x-1st-row-name: row1;

x-1st-col: 1;

x-1st-col-name: col1;

}

When you use the W3C Validation Service (http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/#validate_by_input), these show as

parse errors (Property x-next-type doesn't exist : P P ). Why does RoboHelp keep inserting these into my css? Since we are not allowed to publish anything that isn't 100% validated, I have to continually remove these. Does this have any negative impact on my projects? Why are W3C deprecated items allowed by RH?

If I am posting to the wrong forum, please let me know. I'm not yet totally familiar with this site.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The x- styles are a way for RoboHelp to keep track of certain settings you can't set in CSS. The x-next-class and x-next-type determine the next paragraph you get. In your case, after a H2, you get a paragraph with style 'normal'.

You can remove these attributes from your style sheet, but you will lose certain features. For instance, the next paragraph will allways be a normal paragraph. The x- styles in the table help creating tables with opposite row colours etc.

Greet,

Willam

Pressed the wrong button...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it certainly is unfortunate we can't submit projects that are 100% W3C compliant or they rejected. Any idea why W3C no longer supports these as valid?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It's never been valid css. Actually, it isn't css at all. It are RoboHelp control codes that RH puts in your css. Css is a markup language, the x styles are commands for RoboHelp. Usefull, but not W3C compliant.

Checking "Create W3C compliant topics" in the output options doesn't help either. You may want to report it as a bug.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In addition to what Willam suggested, please note that in RoboHelp 8 allows you to specify a CSS file at output time. My thought here is that you could allow RoboHelp to just do its thing when you are editing, then have a slightly modified version of the CSS (sans the unwanted code) that you specify to be used when you generate.

Note that I've not tested this. It is only a theory at this point. But it shouldn't take too much work to set up. Just copying the CSS file, tweaking and adjusting the SSL recipe.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked to see if the offending lines appear in the CSS in the output?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Offending lines are retained.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then Rick's suggestion would seem to be the easiest solution.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL, that's assuming that RoboHelp just simply uses the CSS and doesn't feel the need to tweak it for us.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp