8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2010 7:47 AM by Charlie Choc RSS

Tone mapping

RichardLowes

Is it possible to use Tone mapping in LR 3.2,It works OK with PS cs5 but sofar no success in LR ?

• 1. Re: Tone mapping
          Jeff Schewe Community Member

Uh...there are a ton of "tone mapping" tools already in Lightroom's Develop module. Exactly what are you trying to do?

• 2. Re: Tone mapping
            RichardLowes Community Member

Jeff,

Tone mapping is part of Photomatix ( HDR ), it makes tonal  adjustments much easier.

• 3. Re: Tone mapping
              chickweed101 Community Member

Tone mapping as done in Photomatix  is part of one of the various workflows that allow one to convert a number of differently exposed shots of a scene to a single image with a wide dynamic range. I don't believe Lightroom provides any capacity for combining differently exposed shots of a single image and I doubt whether doing so would ever be part of its development path. Photomatix comes with an excellent LIghtroom plugin.

BTW, for windows users, Oloneo is a very promising beta of a new app for HDR imaging. Well worth a .look, IMHO, although it doesn't as yet integrate very comfortably with Lightroom.

• 4. Re: Tone mapping
                99jon CommunityMVP

I really hate that “so obvious” Photomatix HDR look.

• 5. Re: Tone mapping
                  ewankennethcameron1949 Community Member

My relationship with Photomatix has been troubled, but I have always been willing to attribute that to my failings rather than those of the program. It is very powerful and can achieve a wide range of "looks" as well as the stereotypical HDR style but I have never really learned to drive its user interface.  "It's me, it's not you" will be my parting words if I do end up duming it for the "cheese eating surrender monkey" charms of Oloneo, which is notably easy to - ahem - drive. Don't misunderstand me - some of my best friends are frenchies. Remembering that this is a Lightroom thread, I would end by saying that Lightroom integration will be a deal breaker for me.  At this point, Oloneo won't even  open tiffs exported from Lightroom. I have raised this with the developers but haven't had a reply.

• 6. Re: Tone mapping
                    camerahans Community Member

export in that case your HDR set from LR to CS5 and look there at the "tone mapping" possibilities specific for HDR

• 7. Re: Tone mapping
                      johnhawk666 Community Member

Yes, so often an HDR picture produced by Photomatix (or other similar programme) looks as though it's made up of internally glowing elements - totally artificial to my eyes.

• 8. Re: Tone mapping
                        Charlie Choc Community Member

It's possible to make completely 'natural' looking images with Photomatix and other HDR software, the final result is the product of the operator not the vehicle. ;-)