• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Captivate take so long to load ?

Contributor ,
Sep 16, 2010 Sep 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware that there is a problem when working with Captivate and connected to company network. As a result of this issue I do not work in "My Documents" but in a folder on local C drive. Not sure if this problem is related to the below...I guess the two are related however.

I "suffer" with the time delay from the moment I click on my desktop shortcut for Captivate (v4 / Win XP) to the time I can get started in Captivate.

When I click on desktop shortcut I get the below screen.

The section at the bottom (marked #1) is initially empty and can take up to 30-40 seconds before the data appears.

The main section (marked #2) is visible from the initial start up, but the links are not activated. I have to wait for at least another 30-40 seconds AFTER the bottom section 1 has become visible before the links become active and I can get started.

1. Is it the case that Captivate does not become "active" until it has connected to an Adobe website to enable the different links to help / tutorials etc, and this is the cause of the start up delay ?

2. Am I alone in experiencing such delays and therefore have to get my IT people to look at my laptop and try and work out why we are causing the delay ?

3. Or is this delay something other Captivate users suffer and something we have to live with as long as we have to use Adobe Captivate ?

Noel

Start up.png

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 27, 2010 Sep 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Can you let us know the system configurations, like the system memory, RAM, Processor type etc

-Ashwin Bharghav B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 27, 2010 Sep 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashwin...Here are the details:

Operating System

MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3

CPU

Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T9550  @ 2.66GHz 27 °C
Penryn 45nm Technology

RAM

4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz  6-6-6-18

Motherboard

Hewlett-Packard 30DB (Intel(R) Genuine processor)

Graphics

AL1723 @ 1280x1024
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Harddrive

156.29GB TOSHIBA TOSHIBA MK1656GSY (IDE)

Optical Drive

hp CDDVDW TS-L633N

Audio

SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have no idea what all the above means, but hope it is what you wanted.

Thanks in advance

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2010 Oct 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel,

Though we check for the network connectivity to show the content that you have  marked as #1 in the attached screenshot but it is very minimal and shouldn't affect the load time. The Open Recent (marked as #2) section is visible from the beginning and is clickable once the entire welcome screen is active.

In general captivate takes around 9-10 sec to load with 1 GB RAM and on a XP machine. So I doubt there might be some issue specific to your system.

Thanks,

Subhransu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Subhransu,

Thank you very much for your answer.

Based on your reply...if it takes me between 60-80 seconds after clicking on Captivate on my desktop before I can get stated and you dont think there is anything wrong with my system...does this mean the problem is related to Adobe on-line ?

I guess I will just have to live with the delay.

Thanks again.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel,

I meant to say that the slowness might be related to your system and not with Adobe on-line. Do you find this slowness with other Adobe Applications also or only  with Adobe Captivate.

Thanks,

Subhransu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Subhransu,

I only use Captivate so cannt say if the delay happens with other Adobe products.

I will just have to live with it as my IT department say it is nothing from our side either.......

Thanks

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2011 Mar 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel,

I'm having the same problem and was wondering if you found a solution?

Thanks,

Kris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kris,

No - I never found the answer. I am not a technical person so unable to dig down and try and work this out for myself., and my IT people are not interested as I am one of very few using Captivate in UK, so don't see why they should spend time helping me.

I have established that the problem only happens when my PC is connected to the company network.

I do not work in "My Documents" but in a folder on local C drive - based on an earlier forum suggestion.

I get the impression that as soon as you launch Captivate (on a PC that is connected to the internet) Captivate is required to connect to Adobe's website (which I have always found very sloooow to load) and get certain bits of information before it will launch on your PC.

I am checking out the helpful information from Benny in Oz but apart from that, I am resigned to the fact that Adobe Captivate and I just don't get on (long history behind that statement which I wont bore you with).....

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well this is an interesting discussion.

So thought I would put my two cents worth in as ex-techi.

Firstly, how much space do you have on your C:\? You said it was 150gb in total?

NExt, please press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and then go to "task manager"..

Look at what your CPU is doing in the Performance part, it shows a nice little graph and updates it so you can see how it reacts to things you do on the system.

Next start captivate and then compare the difference on the performance graph, it will prob spike to 100% im assuming, but will have to wait and see.

You can leave this task manager open as you click on captivate, it just sits on the side..

If you can do that, we can rule out the computer if there is not excessive usage going on for CPU.

One other thing, is perhaps one of your RAM chips is not working, and you are running on only 1 ram chip as usually 2gb x 2gb is used to make the 4... so that could be a possibility.

Lastly, if nothing here shows anything out of the ordinary, uninstall and re-install Captivate..

Well that is all the things I would do if there, hope this helps.

Any chance your in australia? If so I can do a remote session with you sometime and see if i can see anything that looks wrong on your system using some software I use with my students who are Distance, called Teamviewer.  Its free to download, and is a remote viewing application. Works easily.

Good luck,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

I am in UK so shame we cannt link up.

How do I check that both RAM chips are working OK ?

Thanks in advance....

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel.

Ok, firstly an advisory note..

Get one of your tech's to do this or else they will have a heart attack

Simply take one ram chip out of the computer and see if the performance is the same, if it is the same with one chip taken out(providing you have two, you may have one 4gb chip), then you know that it is obviously not working any better with or without.

However there are diagnostic programs these days to test RAM, which your tech's should be able to have access to..  I'm assuming you are in a med to largish business that has dedciated Technicians, otherwise this may be harder to show.

Were you able to check the performance monitor to see Ram usage and CPU usage?

I can put a little video simulation up if you want so you can see what im talking about, let me know.

Also, you can check your BIOS to see if RAM is working properly, however your tech's should be able to show this.

What would be ideal, would be to load something else to the system to see if it also takes a long time to load, such as Office, and or adobe cs5.

Usually slow load times is simply RAM, age of computer, no space on  hard drive, Software needs to be re-installed, or computer needs to be re-imaged... one of these is generally the problem, however if it is a captivate only problem then that wont help.

Also you can ask your tech;s to check you have the latest windows patchest etc installed, and you have the latest Flash player installed, and also the latest browsers installed.  For example if your using IE 5, that could possibly cause problems, though not while Captivate is running, but with previewing content afterwards. Generallly you just want to know that EVERYTHING software wise, is up to date, and your tech's should be able to confirm that for you.

As a tech though, they should be able to check all the things mentioned in this message so forward it onto them and ask if they can make a time to check these things specifically if needed.

Hope that helps,

Benny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, dont touch the insides without the Tech's permission though, i dont want to suggest something and something incidental happens as a result

And remember, often the fix to a problem is not the logical solution.. though things are slow, the Ram is obvious, but it is not guareenteed even if it looks like it is the problem, but that is the tech's responsibility, so lets pass it onto them to make them work it out, but you can tell them where to look so it gets fixec quicker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benny,

No worries. I would not open up my PC.

I do have a bit of so software (Piriform Speccy) that displays a system report including RAM, CPU etc. I could send you a screen shot of one or both if you would be willing to have a look and see if you can spot anything "wrong". Can either attach to this message or could email you direct (my work email is noel.griffiths@kuehne-nagel.com)

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, check if it works any better when you do not log on to adobe LIVE stuff.

Also verify if you can that when you are creating your files they are saved first to the C:\, and edited from the C:\.   Afterwards you would load them to your network drive.

I actually run mine of my external 150gb hard drive, and have never had an issue, but I do not log into the adobe live so that is one thing i dont have experience to offer advice on...

The time currently now is 4.52pm, what is the time in UK? Least you are on around the same time as me, we could try out a remove viewing session at some point.

if your interested, email me on bennyrick77@gmail.com, i'll give you the details. the software is free and small to load, at www.teamviewer.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2011 Mar 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benny

Personally, I'd only suggest investigating possible RAM issues if the system in general were misbehaving. From what I've seen of this thread (and from Noel's other past threads) the only issue is Captivate. So for me, the suggestion of RAM being culpable doesn't really pass the sniff test. Perhaps it is, but it's difficult to buy if there have been no other issues reported with other applications prior to Captivate.

Just thinking out loud... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel,

I forgot to add to my original post. I had the same problem you do, so I went to Preferences/General Settings and unchecked the Show Welcome Screen check box. I no longer have a problem with it loading.

Kris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kris,

I have set this up and will be trying it out soon.

Anthing that helps is a bonus.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel,

Can we do a connect session to investigate the issue? Please mail me at sagarika@adobe.com.

Thanks,

Sagarika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kris

That would make logical sense. My own guess is that it has to do with what you see (or don't) in the lower right corner of the screen as shown below:

tmp1.PNG

As I understand it, that area presents a flash widget that pings home to the Adobe servers to present any news they wish to present. So if killing the start screen improves performance, it's likely because of this gizmo phoning home.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2011 Jul 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel - and anyone who can help,

I have noticed the same issues with starting up, and some more....

I am trying to run 5.5 on a work pc for someone. Loading the apllication seems slow - around 30-50sec. When they try to capture an application through IE7 browser it is slow to the point of crashing. 

We have gone though 2 pc and 2 laptops; reformatted, re-imaged both and still no luck. All tests were done with specs abouve the "reccomended requirements". Oh, and when it is so slow to the point of not responding the CPU never spikes - is happily around 2% no matter what.  The staff member went home and downloaded the free trial on him home pc. He ran as many applications as possible (over 30) a couple of you.tube streaming pages and a full norton diagnostic - Captivate ran FINE

What I suspect, and I am by no means an expret  - is Captivate does not like being used on a Network - or being told to access info on a network. Noel, are you able to do what you need to and not be connected to your work network? If so it might pay to test it out.

If anyone else can help that would be great - I have forked our alot of money for this staff member to produce e-learning training tools on SharePoint (yes yes I know!) and at this stage there is no point

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , the projects you are trying to open ... are they from network share ? in the same machine where u have slowness can you try opening a project in local file system

Thanks

Suresh J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2011 Jul 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately the user dosen't get as far as creating a project, saving then accessing it.  Their problems result is they cant even record the original project in the first place. The PC is connected to the network, and they are making an assessment of an application via their browser. If they disconnect from the network and look at the application locally it works fine.

My assumption for the issues I have noticed, as well as posts from other people is as much as Captivate is a good product, as soon as you use it in a work setting where more than your local pc is envolved there is no point!

Suresh, as for your second question hopefully this post will answer (cant get as far as saving the file).

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up - as I have done with so many other Adobe Captivate related issues.

Seems many people on this forum agree there is a delay or other issues when your PC is connected to a network - but Adobe don't either admit there is an issue nor do offer a solution.

What shocked me was, after I posted yet another messages on this forum some months ago about this issue - I got a telephone call from Adobe support. The outcome was they agreed there was an issue and they would get back to me....well that was 3-4 months ago and I am still waiting.

In answer to your question about working "off network" - When I work from home / off the company network it runs at the speed I expect it to. As soon as I come to the office and connect to the company network, the problems start. Takes for every to complete loading and I often get the "not responding" message which is a warning that the project I am working on is in danger of becoming corrupt.

I am stuck with Adobe Captive and as a result have come to accept all the problems that brings.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry for your bad experince but this problem is unique to us as well . I repeat the question again

" Where does your CPTX file stored while you are @ work .. in your local office machine or n/w share "

if it is N/W share can u move to your local office machine and try ?

Thanks

Suresh J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources