• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts not showing up in Flash CS5

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2010 Oct 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As adobe's phone cust. service is rubbish, making me wait for half an hour just to tell me they can't even try to help me with fonts that are not purchased from adobe, I have turned to this message board in the hopes that someone here can help me with my latest in a perpetual series of dillemmmas with this nightmare of a program...

Im using flash cs5 at work on a mac pro with juiced up processors, memory, etc.  I installed a bunch of fonts, mostly ttf and otf and when flash loads I'd say about 40% of the fonts that I installed don't show up in the font list.  This sucks.  Adobe's good programs like photoshop and illustrator show all my fonts, no questions asked.  I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the fonts, re-starting flash, and disabling fonts.  My one breakthrough was when i created another account on my computer and tried installing a font which was not showing up in the new user's font book.  Lo and behold, the font shows up in flash!  I have about 900 fonts on my computer which may be alot but I have used previous versions of flash with around that number of fonts and I don't recall any problems.  I really dont want to switch my user account as this is a company computer and it will throw off company related access.  This program is on the verge of giving me an ulcer; if anyone has insight, I would appreciate it!!!

thanks

Seth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Hello everyone,

Please read this TechNote for information on how this issue can be fixed.

Regards,

Suhas Yogin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have a font utility that can check for/repair damaged fonts?  if yes, run it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, i dont think the files are damaged b/c theyre showing up fine in my other applications.  The reason i think that it is a program problem is the following:  The font list is complete from fonts whose names begin with the letters "A" through "H."  After "H" there is a significant drop off in the amount of fonts showing up on the list, basically by the time i have scrolled down to "H" on the list the scroll bar is 85% down the length of the font display.  I hate flash....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

different programs have different tolerances for damaged fonts.  the fact that all your fonts show up in another problem doesn't mean their all undamaged.  flash can be very picky about fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, i found out the issue....i removed all of the fonts that I had installed on the computer.  Then I added the fonts, starting from the letter "Z" going up and, voila, the fonts that weren't showing up before magically appeared this time.  Now the problem is, that the fonts "E" and above are not showing up, is there a limit to the number of fonts that flash can handle? Ive never had this issue before and i usually install alot of fonts on my computers.  Then again, every single time i use flash there is a new problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there's a limit to everything in flash but i don't know what that limit is for supported fonts.

if you have a font management program you should be able to pick which fonts you want to make active so you can use them in flash without having to reinstall them each time you need to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, and i appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2010 Oct 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having a similar problem with fonts not loading in Flash 5. Never had this problem in Flash 4. Also when I bring in files from illustrator with those fonts, I have exporting problems.

I use a font utility to load and unload fonts. Just another huge problem with the CS5 apps. I might need to uninstall and go back to CS4.

UPDATE:

I did some more troubleshooting and discovered that the Fonts showed up in my Flash Preference Panel but not in the Properties Panel. Then I noticed that the Properties panel has an option for "Classic Text." (Drop down menu) It was set to "TLF text." I switched it to "Classic" and all my fonts are visible now. Whew!

Message was edited by: pixpusher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2011 Oct 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not totally sure about this, but I thought I was having this same issue -- where it looked like all my fonts from A through S were missing in Flash CS5.  I jumped through a bunch of different hoops and, in the end, I THINK it was just the fact that the scrolling in the font list works differently -- it doesn't automatically scroll up when you move your mouse close to the top edge of the font pull-down list/menu -- and the scroll bar is so subtle, I didn't notice that it wasn't pushed all the way to the top.  Maybe you guys are having a "real" issue -- or maybe one of the hoops I jumped through actually worked -- but check it out; I think it may have been as simple as that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after nearly going completely crazy over this issue i found a solution that works for me.

convert the needed font to an .otf (e.g. using this free converter: http://www.freefontconverter.com/).

then put in the Macintosh HD/Library/Fonts folder.

voila!

In case the .otf still does not work you might try other formats as well.

hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2012 Dec 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again.. crazy workarounds to make things work in Adobe Flash..

Its' no fix.. Adobe has to fix these issues.. don't put up with this, we're the consumers, we pay for these products..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Please read this TechNote for information on how this issue can be fixed.

Regards,

Suhas Yogin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2013 Apr 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

You can forget converting the fonts, here is what really helps:

Move all of your fonts from your user library to your desktop (or whereever, just make sure to remember where), basically uninstalling all your fonts.

Then put the fonts that you need & miss in FLASH into this folder: Macintosh HD/System/Fonts

Enter your user password to confirm the movement of the files into the system folder.

Restart FLASH.

Now the formerly missing fonts should show up in FLASH.

When you're done with your Flash Project, you can delete the added fonts from the system folder and move your old fonts back to your user library in order to get your sytem back the way it was.

WARNING: Be careful while in the system folder, you don’t wanna make any mistakes there. ^^

SICK that adobe is not fixing this issue which is really hell hell hell. Hope this helps you guys in the meantime.

cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2013 Aug 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Suhas's fix may work on Windows, but I'm having this same issue on my Mac Pro.

I've got Suitcase Fusion installed to manage my fonts, but my fonts work in every other Adobe Program fine.

Like PixPusher said, switching from TLF text mode to Classic mode makes the missing fonts show up again. Would be nice to have them available in TLF mode, though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines