• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Builder 4 - Mobile (Adobe read this!)

Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2010 Sep 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the second time I've written this letter. The first was a five-paragraph rant detailing the chronicles of my journey into mobile using the Adobe tools. This time, however, I've decided to break it down in a different way. It goes like this:

- Adobe spends considerable effort trying to convince Flash (AS3) developers to migrate to Flex (Flash Builder)

- After spending time with Flex, I am one of those who is convinced by the ease and power of what it offers. I buy Flex (Flash Builder)

- Adobe announces it will provide support for building iOS application but insists you use (buy) Flash CS5.

- Support (and methods) for using Flash Builder to create iOS applications is complex, messy and tedious at best.

- I buy an iPad ($3500), pay for an Apple developer account($100) and start using Flash CS5.

- I have to strip out the AS3 from my Flex project to bring it into Flash CS5. (Abandoning all the Flex components that made it great in the first place)

- I get my AS3 application running locally on my iPad. Despite every effort, it runs considerably slow (to my surprise)

- Apple makes it's TOS changes, restricting 3rd party developer tools.

- I'm now shit out of luck getting my Flash based application public (iTunes Store)

- Adobe starts to turn it's attention to Android (a move I fully supported despite my own shortcomings)

- AIR for Android starts to unfold. So, I start taking a look at it in addition to downloading the Android SDK.

- Publishing anything to an Android device, using Flash Builder, is (again) a complex, messy and tedious task. Command lines etc.. nightmare.

- Now, Apple reverses it's TOS policies.

- More Android 2.2 Froyo devices begin to emerge now (especially tablets like the Galaxy)

So, at this point I digress.

So, Adobe. You wanted us to migrate to Flash Builder. So, we did. This, by the way, means we BOUGHT the software. ($780)

So, you want to demonstrate Flash's power to publish to mobile devices. (meaning, now, iOS and Android)

ALRIGHT THEN, WHY DONT YOU SPEND SOME TIME GETTING FLASH BUILDER 4 UP TO PAR ALREADY? WHY DON'T YOU MAKE PUBLISHING FOR BOTH PLATFORMS (iOS and ANDROID) MORE ELEGANT NOW? WHY SHOULD WE HAVE TO BUY FLASH CS5 NOW THAT WE'VE FINALLY COME ON BOARD WITH FLASH BUILDER? WHY DONT YOU SPEND SOME TIME PROVIDING AN ELEGANT SOLUTION FOR MOBILE PUBLISHING - LIKE YOU'VE ALREADY DONE FOR FLASH CS5 (MONTHS AGO). I SHOULD BE ABLE TO FILL OUT A FEW FIELDS, SELECT A FEW OPTIONS FROM A MENU AND PUBLISH MY APPLICATION FROM FLASH BUILDER. NOT DOWNLOAD SDK'S, DOWNLOAD SPECIAL BUILDS OF AIR AND FLASH PLAYER ON A WEEKLY BASIS. GET FLASH BUILDER 4 UP TO PAR SO WE CAN WRITE ONCE AND PUBLISH (PUSHING A BUTTON) TO BOTH iOS AND ANDROID WITHOUT SPENDING HOURS FIGURING OUT HOW TO GET IT ALL WORKING.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2010 Oct 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Just want to keep this thread alive until Flash Builder 4 GETS THE SUPPORT IT DESERVES.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 06, 2010 Oct 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I would like to know is anybody ever going to get Flashbuilder working properly.

This thing has more bugs in it than any software I have ever worked in.

Flex 3 worked quite nicely, everything since has been a royal pain in the ASS to work with

I waste hours on something that the demos say "just drop this here and it works"

IT DOES NOT MOST OF THE TIME FOR ANYTHING WITH EVEN ONE MINOR DIFFERENCE FROM THE DEMO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2010 Oct 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Again, my issue is not with Flash Builder itself. In fact I think Adobe is doing a tremendous job regarding many things at this juncture. They've been under a considerable amount of pressure, especially since Apple tried to declare Flash an obsolete technology. I'm proud of Adobe and Flash - which I thoroughly enjoy working with. I also enjoy working with Flash Builder.

My issue is in regards to support. It's that simple. I understand that many features take time to prepare prior to their public release. This is obvious. There are a lot of tests to be made prior to even a first release. My issue is a specific one. It is in regards to Flash Builder and their attitude towards this piece of software as it relates to this "mobile storm" that has approached. Everything is about MOBILE, MOBILE, MOBILE. Well, ok.. it's about mobile. Adobe really only has two (count that, 2!) pieces of software that creates Flash content. (and NO, that isn't a lot). There's the Flash IDE and Flash Builder, which is SUPPOSED TO BE FOR DEVELOPERS. One would think that more time would have been spent of getting ELEGANT mobile publishing solutions into Flash Builder at this point. I'm tired of reading one massive pdf after another just to understand what the hell I'm supposed to be doing. AND.. on top of this.. they get simple, fluid, elegant solutions into the FLASH IDE in the meantime. iPhone, Android publishing with the click of a button in the Flash IDE? DONE! Months ago.. Flash Builder 4 with the same capabilities? Nothing. Command lines... Terminal windows.. give me a break.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines