18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2010 5:31 AM by Arnoud Bos RSS

i feel stupid :)

Arnoud Bos Community Member

Hi all,

i'm trying to integrate pmd in our build with ant but get the following rror:

[flexPmd] net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetNotFoundException: Can't find resource com/adobe/ac/pmd/rulesets/architecture.xml. Make sure the resource is a valid file or URL or is on the CLASSPATH

[flexPmd] at net.sourceforge.pmd.util.ResourceLoader.loadResourceAsStream(ResourceLoader.java:28)

[flexPmd] at net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.parseRuleSetReferenceNode(RuleSetFactory.java:284)

[flexPmd] at net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.parseRuleNode(RuleSetFactory.java:251)

[flexPmd] at net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.parseRuleSetNode(RuleSetFactory.java:209)

[flexPmd] at net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.createRuleSet(RuleSetFactory.java:157)

[flexPmd] at net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.createRuleSet(RuleSetFactory.java:146)

[flexPmd] at com.adobe.ac.pmd.engines.AbstractFlexPmdEngine.loadRuleset(AbstractFlexPmdEngine.java:184 )

[flexPmd] at com.adobe.ac.pmd.engines.AbstractFlexPmdEngine.<init>(AbstractFlexPmdEngine.java:100)

I set it up like on the doc page and if i echo the task with filled in paths i get the right ones:
      Buildfile: build.xml
           [echo]
           [echo]
           [echo] <taskdef name="flexPmd"
           [echo] classname="com.adobe.ac.pmd.ant.FlexPmdAntTask"
           [echo] classpath="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/flex-pmd-ant -task-1.0.jar">
           [echo] <classpath>
           [echo] <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/as3-parser-1 .0.jar"/>
           [echo] <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/as3-parser-a pi-1.0.jar"/>
           [echo] <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/as3-plugin-u tils-1.0.jar"/>
           [echo] <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/commons-lang -2.4.jar"/>
           [echo] <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/flex-pmd-cor e-1.0.jar"/>
           [echo] <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/flex-pmd-fil es-1.0.jar"/>
           [echo] <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/flex-pmd-rul eset-1.0.jar"/>
           [echo] <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/flex-pmd-rul eset-api-1.0.jar"/>
           [echo] <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/plexus-utils -1.0.2.jar"/>
           [echo] <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/pmd-4.2.5.ja r"/>
           [echo] </classpath>
           [echo] </taskdef>
           [echo]
           [echo]
      i call the task without a ruleset so it should use the default one, right?

<flexPmd sourceDirectory="${src.flex.dir}" outputDirectory="${build.pmd.dir}" />

any thoughts? No one but me seems to have trouble to get the thing to work ....

i use the latest version 1.0 from the adobe opensource site

any help would be highly appreciated!

Arnoud

• 1. Re: i feel stupid :)
          Xavier Agnetti Adobe Employee

Ok. Your error means that your flex-pmd-ruleset-1.0-jar is not foud.

You need to make sure that this file is in the class-path.

Xavier

• 2. Re: i feel stupid :)

Hi thanx for the fast reply.

Does that mean that including the jars in the taskdef of flexPmdAntTask is not sufficient? Now i have:

<taskdef name="flexPmd"
                classname="com.adobe.ac.pmd.ant.FlexPmdAntTask"
                classpath="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/flex-pmd-an t-task-1.0.jar">
                <classpath>
                     <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/as3-parser-1 .0.jar"/>
                     <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/as3-parser-a pi-1.0.jar"/>
                     <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/as3-plugin-u tils-1.0.jar"/>
                     <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/commons-lang -2.4.jar"/>
                     <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/flex-pmd-cor e-1.0.jar"/>
                     <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/flex-pmd-fil es-1.0.jar"/>
                     <pathelement location="/Users/arnoudbos/Desktop/AgileFlex2/_build/taskdef-lib/flexpmd/1.0/flex-pmd-rul eset-1.0.jar"/>
            etc...
            i verified the paths, if i have to include the .jars in the classpath in another way i wonder why they should be included like above?
            any further insights?
            Thanx
            Arnoud

• 3. Re: i feel stupid :)
              clotton Community Member

Did you ever get this to work?

I'm having the EXACT same problem, and I've verified that my paths are correct, file names are correct, etc.  I just can't figure out why it's not picking up the ruleset jar, when it's clearly there.

Any ideas?

• 4. Re: i feel stupid :)
                xavi.beumala Community Member

Hi,

could you try using this newer build http://www.rialvalue.com/flexPmd/updateSite/

We´ll release this version early next week. this problems should be fixed there

Xavi    

• 5. Re: i feel stupid :)

No, i'm afraid i couldn't get it working.

But glad to hear it's fixed in the next release. It was driving me mad for a whle :-)

we switched to maven and that's working well.

Anyway great to hear a new version is coming up.

FlexPMD is great! Also sonar flex (build on top of flex pmd) looks really promising!

Arnoud

• 6. Re: i feel stupid :)
                    clotton Community Member

Thank you for the link, but I'm afraid it doesn't contain a build.  Only a jar with one xml file in it. 

Do older versions of flex pmd work?

Thanks

Chris

• 7. Re: i feel stupid :)
                      xavi.beumala Community Member

Hi,

it's not a build, it's an update site for the eclipse plugin. I think I've missed read your thread though thinking you had a problem with the eclipse plugin and the project paths

• 8. Re: i feel stupid :)
                        clotton Community Member

No, the issue is with the ant task, not the eclipse plugin.

Thanks

• 9. Re: i feel stupid :)
                          Xavier Agnetti Adobe Employee

Did you add the ruleset jar to the ant task classpath?

That's all you should need to do.

Xavier

• 10. Re: i feel stupid :)

Just to confirm,

for me it was the ant task too that didn't work.

Arnoud

• 11. Re: i feel stupid :)
                              clotton Community Member

Yes, and confirmed its path and spelling is valid.  Like Arnoud, I've used the example ant task provided.

• 12. Re: i feel stupid :)

I think it would greatly help to state if the taskdef in the post http://forums.adobe.com/message/2458304#2458304

is correct.

See the last pathelement, that should suffice, right?

do you need to do more?

maybe it's fixed in subsequent releases which i didn't try with ant

Arnoud

• 13. Re: i feel stupid :)
                                  clotton Community Member

FYI, I've tried version 1.2, 1.1, and 1.0 with the same result:

net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetNotFoundException: Can't find resource com/adobe/ac/pmd/rulesets/architecture.xml. Make sure the resource is a valid file or URL or is on the CLASSPATH

at net.sourceforge.pmd.util.ResourceLoader.loadResourceAsStream(ResourceLoader.java:28)

at net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.parseRuleNodeWithExclude(RuleSetFactory.java:385)

at net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.parseExternallyDefinedRuleNode(RuleSetFactory.java:331 )

at net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.parseRuleNode(RuleSetFactory.java:263)

at net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.createRuleSet(RuleSetFactory.java:199)

at net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.createRuleSet(RuleSetFactory.java:172)

at com.adobe.ac.pmd.engines.AbstractFlexPmdEngine.loadRuleset(AbstractFlexPmdEngine.java:181 )

at com.adobe.ac.pmd.engines.AbstractFlexPmdEngine.(AbstractFlexPmdEngine.java:100)

at com.adobe.ac.pmd.engines.FlexPmdXmlEngine.(FlexPmdXmlEngine.java:58)

at com.adobe.ac.pmd.ant.FlexPmdAntTask.execute(FlexPmdAntTask.java:58)

at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:288)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor4.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)

at org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:105)

at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348)

at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:357)

at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:385)

at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1329)

at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.SingleCheckExecutor.executeTargets(SingleCheckExecutor.java:3 8)

at org.eclipse.ant.internal.launching.remote.EclipseSingleCheckExecutor.executeTargets(Eclip seSingleCheckExecutor.java:30)

at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1181)

at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Ant.execute(Ant.java:416)

at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:288)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor4.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)

at org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:105)

at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348)

at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:357)

at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:385)

at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1329)

at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1298)

at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:41)

at org.eclipse.ant.internal.launching.remote.EclipseDefaultExecutor.executeTargets(EclipseDe faultExecutor.java:32)

at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1181)

at org.eclipse.ant.internal.launching.remote.InternalAntRunner.run(InternalAntRunner.java:42 3)

at org.eclipse.ant.internal.launching.remote.InternalAntRunner.main(InternalAntRunner.java:1 37)

• 14. Re: i feel stupid :)
                                    clotton Community Member

Just curious if anybody has actually used the example ant task/target successfully?  I've seen plenty of blogs and tutorials online, but they all seem to just copy/paste the example ant target provided by Adobe, which leads me to believe they probably haven't used the target.  If you have a successfully running flex pmd ant target, could you post it?

Thanks

• 15. Re: i feel stupid :)
                                      clotton Community Member

I just got it to work by switching to Ant 1.8.

• 16. Re: i feel stupid :)
                                        clintmodien Community Member

Doesn't answer your question but I actually just run the jar file from a macrodef... 

<java jar="${flexpmd.dir}/flex-pmd-command-line-${flexpmd.version}.jar"

fork="true" failonerror="true" outputproperty="@">

<arg value="-s@"/>

<arg value="-o@"/>

<arg value="-r@"/>

<mkdir dir="$/reports/flexpmd" />           <flexPmd                sourceDirectory="$/src"

outputDirectory="$/reports/flexpmd"

ruleSet="${flexpmd.dir}/rulesets/pmd.xml"

outputProperty="flexpmd.out"/>

</target

• 17. Re: i feel stupid :)
                                          clotton Community Member

We resolved the issue.

It seems the Ant 1.7 supplied to us contained an old pmd-4.1.jar in the lib directory.   Removing that jar solves the problem.  This jar wasn't present in the supplied Ant 1.8, which is why that version worked.

• 18. Re: i feel stupid :)

I can confirm this. Problem is gone in a clean ant 1.8.1 installation

cheers,

Arnoud