Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp switch options?

New Here ,
May 27, 2006 May 27, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings:

I ran across an interesting behavior in my Robhelp chm file, and looking for a possible fix.
I have created a link to my chm file on my company homepage, but when I select it, I am prompted with a dialog box to 'open' or 'save' the file.

I click 'open', and everything works just fine, but curious why this does NOT occur when the chm file is on my local machine.
Has anyone heard of this?

thanks,

Robere

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robere

From what you have written, I surmise that you have placed your .CHM file on the Company web server. Believe it or not, this is perfectly normal behavior.

.CHM files are intended to be accessed from the local drive. As you have seen, when accessing locally, they simply open and display. But on a server, they behave just like .ZIP files. The user will always see the "Open from here or save to the hard drive" prompt. There simply isn't an easy and simple way around it.

If you are intent on placing the help on your company's server, I'd strongly consider using WebHelp output. This is what WebHelp is all about. Besides, with WebHelp, even folks running a LINUX, UNIX or Macintosh OS can see your help. .CHM format is Windows only.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Rick:

Thanks so much for that info - I may start looking into Webhelp, as a way to 'improve' my existing help files access and usability.

Robere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp