Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save and restore .LNG file

Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2010 Oct 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello fellow Forum members,

After learning how to customize my output using the .LNG file settings (File > Project Settings > Advanced > LNG tab) from the various threads on the forum, I had a question that I don't seem to find answered on any of the searches I've done.

The question is - now that I've customized my wording for one project, can I save off the file containing these changes and use it again in another new project?

I'm guessing that it's the RoboHHRE.LNG file that is storing the changes - will plopping a copy of this file down in a new project's root folder (replacing the standard one) be ok?

I haven't had the chance to test it out because I don't create new projects very frequently (& when I do, it takes a long time because I'm importing from FM9 and I've forgotten about saving the LNG off & using it again and by that time I've customized it again, doh!). If anyone can weigh in on this, it would be much appreciated!

Specs:

RH 8.0.203

TCS2.5

WinXP Pro SP3

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2010 Oct 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new project and copy it in to see if it works.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter - I was hoping there was already someone out there who was doing this currently.

Anyway, I just tried a test with the CCC sample project; I renamed the existing .LNG file, copied in my saved modified one & then opened the project & had a look - nothing! I made a change in RH on the LNG tab and saved it & the project, then went & had a look in Explorer to see if I could suss out which files had changed. Only the .syn, .ign, .phr, .stp files seemed to have been modified. Looking at them in Notepad they reveal themselves as the synonym file, the ignore words list, the phrases list, and the stop words list - no change to the .lng file. There must be another file being used somewhere - especially if you can wipe any custom changes made by using the Restore Defaults button. It must be reading those defaults in from someplace.

Anybody have any suggestions as to where I could look next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

I've copied the file over on a few different occasions without issue.

Earlier versions of RoboHelp didn't create this file until you went to make a modification to it. Later versions would create it as a standard file among your project. So an issue ensued whereby if you upgraded a project there was no LNG file. And if you tried to modify it, RoboHelp appeared to make the modification. (at least the dialog didn't present anything indicating that anything was amiss) but the changes failed to stick. This was because the LNG file wasn't really present and RoboHelp expected it to be. So the trick was to copy one in, THEN modify it.

As you created this thread to specifically discuss the LNG file, your comment:

There must be another file being used somewhere - especially if you can  wipe any custom changes made by using the Restore Defaults button.

Seems puzzling to me. It seems that perhaps you are now changing the gist of the thread in mid stream?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2010 Oct 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just tested copying this from one project to another and it carried my changes. Did you copy the file to the two locations where I found it, in the root of the project and in the !Language! folder? I haven't checked if changing it in one location only has any effect.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp