Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Formats - HHK and HHC?

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2010 Oct 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If possible can anybody verify that HHK and HHC files are index and TOC files found in Microsoft Help (.chm) projects?

I've sent a webhelp project to a translation firm for localization and they are requesting the HHK and HHC files. Am I right in thinking that such files do not exist in a webhelp project, only in a Microsoft Help project?

Sorry if this is a daft question, file formats are not my thing

Thanks,

Alex

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex.

The HHC and HHK files are indeed the TOC and Index files respectively but your thinking is not quite right. A CHM file is a single compiled file that includes the TOC and Index. It is delivered standalone and is therefore perfect for installing locally with an application. With WebHelp output, you get lots of different output files. The TOC and Index are just two of those. This begs the question what you have provided to the translation agency so far as they may need other files. Just to check something, they should be given the entire contents of the output directory where the WebHelp is placed.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Collum,

Thanks for the swift reply. To answer your question, the translation firm requested the project source - which struck as odd at the time because I figured we could just send them the output . . .

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm no expert in localisation Alex but I guess it's OK to send them the source so long as you don't have to make any more updates to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I be able to see these HHK and HHC files in either my source or output folders? I don't see them; I have lots of JS files and lots of HTML, but no HHK or HHC. Surely everything they need is contained in the files we sent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you should be able to see them in both the source and the output folders. They take their name from the project name (e.g. projectname.hhc and projectname.hhk). If you can't see these files it maybe because the project has been renamed. In this instance the HHC and HHK files maintain their original name. Can you see any HHC or HHK files in your source directory?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

I can't see any HHK or HHC extensions in either the source or output folders. I've run a search on the folders using '*.hhk' and '*.hhc' and got 0 return. Would they be in the top level or sub directories?

If these files were missing then surely the project/output wouldn't work . . . would it?

Confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found HHK . . and HHP. But no HHC as yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both files should be in the root directory of your project. If your output has a TOC there must have been a HHC file in the source. If it isn't there now then it may have been moved or deleted. If so, I hope there is a source backup you can fall back on. failing that, you'd have to recreate the HHC file inside RoboHelp by recreating the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FILENAME ALERT!

The source files shown here:

source_files.gif

do not appear in the output. The data for the Index and TOC output is spread around within the JS and HTM files in the wh*data folders.

output_files.gif

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

In addition to the other good advice you have already received...

It's common for Micro$oft Window$ to hide specific file types from you in a somewhat misguided effort to "protect" you. This is typically enabled until you specifically disable it.

If you are using XP, open Windows Explorer and click Tools > Folder options.

If you are using Windows 7 (not sure if Vista is the same) you open Windows Explorer and click Organize > Folder and Search options.

Now you should see Folder Options dialog. Click the View tab and you should see a scrolling window with all manner of options.

I could be wrong, but my thought is that perhaps Windows is obscuring these files from you.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp