12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2014 6:28 AM by WolfShade RSS

Opening in code view in CS5

CyJobes

A while back I posted a discussion seeking information about having PHP files open in code view instead of design view. (CS4).

I found out that I was able to tell PHP files to open in code view, but for some reason the creators of DW saw it fit to fix it so that if you force files to open in code view, then you could not switch to design view by any means.

As a PHP coder I rearely go into design or split/design view, but I do have an occaisional need to do so.

My question is, has this been fixed in CS5? In other words, can I have my PHP files set to ALWAYS open in code view, but still have the option to simply click on the design/split button and go into design mode?

Thanks,

Cy

• 1. Re: Opening in code view in CS5
          Brad Lawryk CommunityMVP

Hi Cy,

You had me curious ... so I had to test it.

Happy to report that if you have DW in Coder or Coder Plus layouts, the files do indeed open up in code view and very nicely switch back and forth between all view modes.

Brad Lawryk

Adobe Community Professional: Dreamweaver

Northern British Columbia Adobe Usergroup: Manager

Thompson Rivers University: Dreamweaver Instructor

My Adobe Blog: http://blog.lawryk.com

• 2. Re: Opening in code view in CS5
            CyJobes Community Member

Thanks very much for the response.

Boss says that CS5 has been ordered, so I'm feeling hopfull of the changes.

Thanks again,

Cy

• 3. Re: Opening in code view in CS5
              Brad Lawryk CommunityMVP

Code view and code hinting as greatly improved in CS5. If you do the majority of your work in code view ... you will love it.

Brad Lawryk

• 4. Re: Opening in code view in CS5
                CyJobes Community Member

I installed the trial of DW:CS5 yesterday, and the ability to tell a PHP file to open in "code view", yet allow you to switch from code to spilt/design mode DOES NOT WORK. If I choose to open a file in code all the time, then the split/design buttons are grayed out, and there is no way to even change to split/design under the view context menu.

I am using a Mac with Snow Leopard 10.6.4, if that means anything.

What the hell, DW developers?

Just because a person wants a file to open in code view every time they open it DOES NOT mean they never want the option to click on split/design in order to see the results. Besides, the preferrences ask to only OPEN the file in code view, not "edit only" in code view.

All I want is for my pages/scripts to ALWAYS open in code view, no matter what. Then I will decide when I want to go to design view. As it is, all my PHP files open in design view, no matter what mode they were in when I closed them. I rarely use split/design view, but there are occasions where I need to.

This is really getting rediculous in my opinion. Just because we want files to open in code view does not mean we don't want the other options at our finger tips.

If I am missing something here, please, somebody point it out.

Thanks,

Cy

• 5. Re: Opening in code view in CS5
                  Brad Lawryk CommunityMVP

If you select 'Coder' view from the layout options it will always open in code view. Just change the View won't do anything - you have to change the layout options.

layoutchanger.jpg

Brad Lawryk

• 6. Re: Opening in code view in CS5
                    CyJobes Community Member

I did as you suggested and this morning when I opened DW, then opened the PHP file I was last editing yesterday. The same thing happened. It opened the file in design view.

This particular file is a class and would never really be looked at in design. Nevertheless, though I NEVER put it in design, it opened it that way. So the argument that a file will open in the last view it was in is not valid here either.

I just don't get it. Everybody I have told about this agrees that it is down-right unreasonable to lock out the ability to chose Split or Design just because you told DW to always open PHP files on code view from the preferences. The idea wreaks of a bunch of programmers deciding on usability, which they evidently don't understand in their own little world. I've worked at a major software development company and I know far too well the mentality of programmers who develop far beyond my capabilities.

DW devs, please take note: Just because we want to force open a file in CODE view doesn't mean we don't want to switch to design view at some point for that same file. Forcing us to open files in design is like telling us you know better, and believe me, you don't.

It's really simple - Allow us to set a file type to open only in code view, but don't lock us out by disabling the buttons to switch to split or design if we want.

Cy

PS: A pic of what happens when I force .php files to open in code view:

As you can see, Split and Design are disabled. WHY force this?

Screen shot 2010-10-13 at 9.10.58 AM.png

• 7. Re: Opening in code view in CS5
                      David_Powers CommunityMVP

CyJobes wrote:

DW devs, please take note: Just because we want to force open a file in CODE view doesn't mean we don't want to switch to design view at some point for that same file. Forcing us to open files in design is like telling us you know better, and believe me, you don't.

This is a user-to-user forum, so the Dreamweaver engineering team is highly unlikely to see your request. File it through the official form at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform. That way, it will get directly to the people who need to see it.

• 8. Re: Opening in code view in CS5
                        ericavary

This has been bugging me for a long time too... I kept thinking that this setting would be in preferences -- wouldn't it make sense to tell a particular file type to open in the correct view independent of the workspace chosen?

Anyhow, I followed the suggestions made in this thread and selected the coder workspace.  I then created one based on that, gave it a unique name, and customized it to then have all the features I like to see when I'm working...

My experience has proven to be different than yours, in that now files open in code view yet my toggles for Split and Design views still work.  Perhaps what you're experiencing is a bug?

Eric

• 9. Re: Opening in code view in CS5
                          WolfShade Community Member

I have CS5 installed, and my DW (from starting) will always open files in Design View, even though I have it set for "Coder Plus" layout.  My switches for Code/Split/Design work fine, but the fact that every time I start DW, the first file I open will ALWAYS open in Design View.  When I switch to Code View, all subsequent files open in Code View unless and until I close DW.  Next launch, all files open in Design View.

How do I fix this?  All suggestions, so far, are not working on my system.

Thanks,

^_^

• 10. Re: Opening in code view in CS5
                            Brad Lawryk CommunityMVP

At the bottom of the layouts drop down there is a reset button. Make sure you have Coder Plus selected. Alternatively you can set up the layout as you like it and save that layout and call it something like 'My Layout' or whatever you like.

Screen Shot 2012-06-01 at 8.27.06 AM.png

• 11. Re: Opening in code view in CS5

I have tried your suggestions, and DW will still open the very first file in Design View.  When I switch to Code View, all subsequent files open in Code View, unless and until I close DW.  Then upon the next starting of DW, the first file will open in Design View.  I've done the reset, I've created a custom view, the first file still opens in Design View.

Is there a way to DISABLE Design View?  Completely?

Thanks,

^_^

• 12. Re: Opening in code view in CS5

Someone on another forum suggested that I edit DW preferences (EDIT > PREFERENCES) and click on the FILE TYPES tab; at the top there is a field for entering the types of files to open in CODE VIEW.  I added .cfm and .cfml to that and saved.

DESIGN VIEW IS NOW DISABLED WHEN I WORK ON .CFM FILES!!!  YIPPEEEEEEE!!!

UPDATE:  Like the OP, I've discovered that there are times that I would like to view a file in Design View - it's very rare, but it does happen.  But if I remove .cfm and .cfml from "Open in Code View", then I'm back to files always opening in Design View.

I've switched to "Coder Plus" view, customized the layout, and saved under another name.  Still opening .cfm files in Design View.  I know that this is a user-to-user forum, but can anyone please tell me why the dev team have made this such a difficult, PITA process?

^_^

Message was edited by: WolfShade