Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conditional Text vs. Merged Help

May 24, 2006 May 24, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a help file for an application that has 4 independent modules. I was going to use the merged help, but then someone told me that it would be better to use conditional text. When should you use merged help and when should you use conditional text? All 4 modules have multiple common features, so maybe the conditional text would be better?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 26, 2006 May 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

A lot depends on how the project will be shipped and how the help file be called from the application. Are the modules all shipped but some hidden from the users? Or are they sold and shipped separately. Also, do you expect to use context sensitive help?

If you can provide us with a little more background on the project and deliverables it will be easier to make recommendations.

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 30, 2006 May 30, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 4 modules. Our clients may get any combination of the 4 modules or all 4. The modules will probably be sold and shipped separately. The help will not be context sensitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 31, 2006 May 31, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the brief requirements you have put forward, it sounds like merging may be the way to go. If it twas me, I'd create five separate projects, the first (and the master) containing the common topics that you want ALL clients to see. The other four help projects containing help for the four independent modules.

That way you can simply exclude/include the appropriate merged projects when shipping to the clients. Just always provided them with the first master project containing the common topics.

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As we are talking about merged webhelp, I wouldn't put anything in the parent project. Make that a blank page with a redirect to the main child project. That way, all the links are between child projects so you avoid the problem of broken links that occurs when you generate the help.

This is described in more detail in this topic. Click here.
Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for the correction Peter

You will need six projects. Once for the parent that merges the other five (blank as Peter suggests), one with the common topics and the other four with the module specific content.

I would highly recommend reading the Merged Webhelp information on Peter's site BEFORE starting a merged project - a great resource written in plain English!

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp