• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add images from SourceSafe that are referenced in topic?

Oct 11, 2010 Oct 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of our HTM files and images are located in SoureSafe.  I added the HTM file to RoboHelp by doing the following.

• Right click "Project Files"
  • Select New > Folder
  • Enter name for new folder
  • Right click new folder
  • Select Import
  • Click HTM file and click [Open]

When I did this it automatically added the following to RoboHelp

• HTM file (it also listed the anchors)
  • Images
  • Stylesheet

Since then one of the developers that does not have a RoboHelp license checked in the following changes to the HTM file.

• Added additional anchors to the HTM file
  • Added images to SourceSafe which are referenced in the HTM file

When I opened the RoboHelp project it did not update the "Project Files".  So, the new anchors and the new images are not showing up under "Project Files".  When I built the CHM file it did not contain the new images.  Therefore, it displayed the red X where the images should be.

How do I get the changes to show up under "Project Files"?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you -

Karen Ahmad

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2010 Oct 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robohelp projects are only automatically updated when you use Robohelp to add/remove files. The 'easiest' solution is to get a Robohelp license for each user who needs to update this project and only make changes through Robohelp. However, this might not be possible in your organisation.

Getting the latest files from source control and deleting the .cpd file before you open the project might update some of the information, but I'm unsure how much would be detected.

You can set up RH8 to automatically delete the cpd file every time, so you don't have to remember to do it manual. Just note that when you do this, depending on the size of your project, it can take quite a while. I think it's in Tools > Options somewhere, but I don't have a copy I can look at, at the moment.

Try that, and see how you go.

Amebr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 13, 2010 Oct 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!

I was able to get this to work by doing the following.

• Tools > Options > General Tab > Check "Clear project cache (.cpd file) before opening any project"
  • Delete ProjectName.cpd from SourceSafe
  • Remove read only flag from ProjectName.cpd in my working directory

When I opened the RoboHelp project it was automatically updated to reflect the changes that the other developer had made to the HTM file.

Thanks again -

Karen Ahmad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following project files should also not be added to source control:

.hhp

.ldb (not always produced)

.pss

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree about the hhp file, but definitely the others and the cpd should not be source-controlled. Glad you got it sorted out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely this is not just a matter of opnion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files are either machine-specific or chm-specific, and should not be added to source control.

This "opinion" is shared by Adobe, which chooses to exclude these files when you add a project to source control from the RoboHelp app.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen any difference in the hhp file between the different chm files we generate for a single project. I always thought Blue Sky considered it an 'output' file and thus excluded it from source control like the chm files. (The hhp file is rebuilt by RH on generation if you delete it - don't try this if you are using HTML Help Workshop. )

I consider it a useful backup, in case something happens to the .xpj file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The HHP is a source file, not a backup file. It's the primary control file used when compiling a CHM file. Unless you specifically add it to baggage, it will not be included inside the CHM when you compile.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, I know. Leon and I were disagreeing about whether the file should be excluded from source control or not. I was trying to explain why I like it in source control.

The other reason, which I forgot to post, is in case I need to get the project into a different tool that does not understand the RH xpj. But I think nearly all tools understand that file now, so probably not a big consideration any more, but was when we first added the file to source control many many years ago.

It would also be necessary to source control this file if you were using HTML Help Workshop as otherwise the project would be unusable in that product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp