1 2 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2017 9:44 PM by ngraham2

How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?

dkitsov Level 2

As all of my other posts I must begin by stating that this is not an RTFM issue. I have read the manuals and searched the web and this forum already.

Also I beg you to read this question first before answering some nonsense. Ok, off the soapbox now.

I am having issue synching video to audio.

I am editing a music video at the moment at 23.976 fps. There is a master sound track (48/16) to which all of the video must be synched.

I have not found a way of changing the position of a video clips in the timeline relative of the master audio track with a higher than a frame precision in order to obtain a perfect lip-sync.

I am aware of the fact that one should enable "display audio units" in the timeline in order to shift an audio track relative the video with the sub frame precision, which is very useful when doing dialogue replacement to a video. For the video I am still not able to do so. Is it at all possible? Is there a workaround?

How do they achieve a perfect lipsync when they make professional music videos?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          Is it at all possible? Is there a workaround?

Nope. Video, even high framerate video, runs at a significantly lower clock than audio. In your example, with 23.976fps video, you have approximately 24 subdivisions per second. With 48kHz audio, you have 48,000 subdivisions per second. Since you can't change the duration of a second, it's pretty easy to see which one allows for greater precision.

This isn't a limitation of Premiere; this is a limitation of video.

• 2. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

How do they achieve a perfect lipsync when they make professional music videos?

They often don't.  I've seen MAAAAAAAAANY music videos where the lip sync was less than perfect.

• 3. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
              avpromedia Level 1

Perhaps you could modify the timing of the audio track slightly by time stretching or compressing certain section that does not need lip sync. Or if there is a rest or a long note in the music you could just cut out pieces or fill in duplicate pieces.

Even if that is noticeable, it's just a momentary thing. Perhaps worth it in order to get perfect lip sync the rest of the video.

If you have several takes of the same clip, one of the take might lip sync better.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                Steve C2 Level 2

You can consider clipping after each song and syncing each song separately, if you run into problems where your video becomes out of sync at some later point after being in sync earlier on.  My experience is that I do not have to resync for 20-25 minute time segments, at a minimum.  I would also offer a guess here - that if you have your video perfectly synced with your audio early on, it will be extremely difficult for almost all audiences to tell that a video is 1-2 frames out of sync 25 minutes later, expecially if it is not suggested to them that there will be an out-of-sync problem.

You can consider time-code syncronization-based equipment, but there are reports that there are no guarantees that such equipment will do a perfect job with synchronization.

If you want to see some examples of bad audio and video syncronization in music clips, you can find plenty on youtube.  I will guess that while, yes, it is best to perfectly sync when we can, most people either cannot tell the difference or most people are not bothered by clips that are slightly out of sync.

• 5. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                  Andy Urtu Level 1

Actually, you can set markers on the audio clip between frames.  I rember this from Jacob Robenbergs book Premiere Pro 2.0 Studio Techniques.

You double click on the audio clip.  It opens in the Source monitor.  Then click on the fly-out menu and select SHOW AUDIO UNITS.

Now in the source monitor you can place a marker (to be used for syncing) anyhere within the frame.  Set a numbered marker.

Now you have a sync marker intraframe on the Audio.  You then sync this audio marker the Frame you need. Select both clips and choose syncronize.

So it is not sub video frame, it is sub Audio frame to the correct video frame start.

See below.  The audio sync marker is in the middle of the frame.  Hope this helps.

Intraframe.JPG

• 6. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                    teeman52

I am assuming the band or singer sang to that specific track you referred to. I do a lot of music videos and I only use the cd's. I set up wherever we choose and I do probably 5 run throughs with 2 cameras but we play that track from some sort of speaker system and then I use the audio on my tape or card to synchronize with the original song or tune that I used. Once I am locked up i dump the camera recorded audio. That is how I do it and most videos are done in a similar fashion.

I hope we are talking about the same thing

Teeman

• 7. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                      dkitsov Level 2

Yet again many of you have missed the nature of the question. I do understand why. It is hard to undarstand the problem unless you run into it yourself.

Yet again it would be a non-issue if I had only one video clip and one audio clip to synch together, or one video clip and multiple audio clips. I, however have a one single audio track – a song, which must remain unchanged, to which multiple video clips must be synched to create a music video.

• 8. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                        dkitsov Level 2

Sure, now tell me what do you do when you have multiple takes of the performance? In those takes soundtrack never starts playing at the same moment relative the frame. As many have pointed out - 24 fps - within those fps there are possible 2000 positions of the synch per frame assuming I did a playback not from a CD but from a 48khz capable system. Now I do not need a 1/48000 a sec. sample precision, but positioning within 1/24 of a second is not accurate enough for a good lip-synch.

Or am I splitting the hairs here?

• 9. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                          shooternz Level 6

FWIW (beware...historical note alert)

When I (we) edited real film with sprockets and the soundtracks were edited using mag track (sprocketed tape) .

We used to gang these together in mechanical devices.  eg a film and single (or multiple) audio tracks.

The sprockets and the ganging meant  the image and the audio tracks moved at exactly the same rate (locked position)

Once the synch was established  via clapper board they were locked in without any sub frame adjustment.

Editors all seemed to agree that perfect synch was perfect synch.

One frame either side was un able to be detected by eye and ear.

Two frames either side were definitely out of synch to eye and ear!

We do have more "subframe" synch potential in the digital age but it is in the audio arena.

I blame mpeg and web delivery  for much of what we watch today (television )... for out of synch issues.

BTW: one trick to shooting lip synch to playback is by using a "click track" overlayed into the musicians earpieces from the master recording.

• 10. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                            jeremy d. Level 3

I don't think you're splitting hairs at all; everybody recognizes out-of-sync issues when they see them, even if only subliminally.

In Premiere, you're limited to 1-frame precision, though. It could be that you can manipulate the audio in Audition or in another audio app to make it work for you, and someone else around here can probably comment on that.

Now I do not need a 1/48000 a sec. sample precision, but positioning within 1/24 of a second is not accurate enough for a good lip-synch.

• 11. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                              Powered by Design Level 4

jeremy d. wrote:

I don't think you're splitting hairs at all; everybody recognizes out-of-sync issues when they see them, even if only subliminally.

In Premiere, you're limited to 1-frame precision, though.

@Jeremy

Has anyone submitted a feature request for being able to shift video like we do audio ?

If not maybe the OP should.

GLenn

• 12. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                Colin Brougham Level 6
                                Has anyone submitted a feature request for being able to shift video like we do audio ?

Why would anyone? It's not possible--or more specifically, it's not possible to be any more precise with a piece of video than Premiere already allows you to be.

Remember that recorded video is not a continuous, unbroken stream of visual signals--it is a specific sampling of images recorded and played back at ordered, specific intervals. For example, NTSC DV has a sampling rate of 29.97 frames per second, or in general terms, 30 images per second. When you are recording at 29.97fps, you making 30 image samples of "the real world" in the course of second--the infinite subdivisions of time that are smaller than 1/30th of a second are not recorded. Video/film playback then relies on a trick to exploit the weakness of human visual accuity--that is, persistence of vision. Our brain puts in those microscopic subdivisions of time and imagery such that the playback looks continuous, and not like a stop-motion show.

So what does that have to do with this issue? Well, despite the fact that it looks like you have a smooth, continuous progression of images, you really don't you have finite divisions of time and specific image samples. We can't change time--one second is always one second. However, we can change the number of images we record per second up to a certain point; whether it's 24fps, 30fps, 50fps, 60fps, or higher in speciality cameras. However, when editing, your degree of editing precision is STILL limited to the number of samples per second that were recorded. In other words, you can't split a recorded video frame between two playback video frames.

Think of it using Craig's film example above. With film recording and playback, a frame is a frame is a frame--you actually have physical boundaries separating each consecutive frame. Well, editing with subframe precision would mean that you would be projecting part of two frames as well as the division between them. Obviously, the technologies differ here, but the analogy should be clear.

What this all boils down to is that, if you can't move the audio (which I understand), you have to get close with the video and call it good. Look at it this way: you will never be more than one frame off from perfect sync, regardless of the frame rate at which your video is originally shot, assuming you do your syncing correctly. I trust that the human visual system is weak enough to forgive a less-than-one frame discrepency between video and audio; that's how it's always been done. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

Until Premiere replaces the Mercury Playback Engine with the Flux Capacitor Engine, and changes it's name to E=mc2, this is how we have to roll...

• 13. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                  Powered by Design Level 4

So what your saying Colin is that CS6 will have a Flux Capacitor Engine.  I hope it flies too.  Nice shiny DeLorean.   lol

GLenn

• 14. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Heck, I'd settle for MPE being usable. No sense being greedy

• 15. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                      jeremy d. Level 3
                                      So what your saying Colin is that CS6 will have a Flux Capacitor Engine.  I hope it flies too.  Nice shiny DeLorean.

Yes, but it will require the Mr. Fusion plugin

• 16. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Sequences? Where we're going, we don't need sequences.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/msbae001/Animated/FluxCapacitor.gif

• 17. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I still kind of think you are.  Like I said, MAAAAAAANY music videos show less perfect sync.  Do what you can with the shots you have.  If none of the shots will sync close enough to your satisfaction, show something else.  Not every second of a music video has to show lip sync.

• 18. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                            shooternz Level 6
                                            Not every second of a music video has to show lip sync.

If the director and performer require "lip synch"...one should strive to make sure it happens.  Doesnt make sense to produce something assuming that it is unachievable and then  do something else as a workaround.

@ the op.....Shooting successful "lip synch" begins when you shoot it.  Not in the editing room. The editor will thank you for it.

• 19. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                              teeman52 Level 1

I guess I don't understansd as I edit probably 8 to 15 video tracks to

the same tune, I am not sure of your process but Adobe is awesome for

syncing

Teeman

• 20. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

If the director and performer require "lip synch"...one should strive to make sure it happens.

What I'm saying is that most music videos will have segments that do not show the singer, or at least do not show them singing the lyrics.  This is pretty much the norm for music videos.  Having a video where every single lyric shows ths singer in perfect sync probably just doesn't exist.

• 21. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                  teeman52 Level 1

Jim I just finished a music video with only band and singer no

storyboard, edited with at least five takes as a matter of fact I shot

individual takes with lead guitar bass guitar drums and also the

singer and I line up five takes stacked on top of each other and edit,

I apologise if what I do is not what you require

Teeman

• 22. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                    I shot individual takes with lead guitar bass guitar drums

See, that's what I'm talking about.  If there's no way to sync up the singer to your satisfaction, show something else.

• 23. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                      goomadeer Level 1

You guys are kidding right?  If you're going to worry about less than 1/24 second lip syncing you better start worry about how far your audience is sitting from the screen as you should be allowing for the different speed of the image (light) reaching them versus the speed of the audio (sound).

I doubt that anyone can reliably detect 1/24 second audio timing issues.

• 24. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                        shooternz Level 6
                                                        I doubt that anyone can reliably detect 1/24 second audio timing issues.

and you are correct sir.

Jim.

I shot a music video  recently  that had a single continuous take of 4 mins 45 sec  of rapid guitar solo (live performance).  Synch was absolute exact to the playback of the pre recorded release CD version which we used in the video.

I shot the vocals on another camera.  Absolute lip synch perfect. (Vocalist was the lead guitarist)

Yes we did cut the video around extensively...but we did not have to for synch workaround purposes.

Musicians generally have awesome timing  and eye /ear skills.

In the edit room... my musician could spot synch to a frame.

• 25. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                          dkitsov Level 2

So it is pretty much impossible other than using optical flow to create higher frame rate to achieve a more precise than a 24 fps synch. And, no has nothing to do with the performance or camera or my ability but with the fact that I have yet to see a device or a person who can start the playback of  the soundtrack at the exact same time as the camera starts the recording for every single track.

• 26. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                            goomadeer Level 1

If there was a need you'd see such devices or persons.

• 27. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                              shooternz Level 6
                                                              So it is pretty much impossible other than using optical flow to create higher frame rate to achieve a more precise than a 24 fps synch. And, no has nothing to do with the performance or camera or my ability but with the fact that I have yet to see a device or a person who can start the playback of  the soundtrack at the exact same time as the camera starts the recording for every single track

You have not yet got an understanding of how it works despite the considerable inputs provided on the matter.

Your abilty to understand is the issue you need to address.

"starting the playback by device or person "  is not any apart of the what is a standard filmic process.

• 28. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                                dkitsov Level 2

They are such devices, just for different applications. Look it up.

• 29. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                                  dkitsov Level 2

I understand perfectly how it works, you seem not to understand how to be nice and you resort to thinly veiled personal attacks instead of providing any useful info. FYI just because something "works" certain way, which actually means "I've always been doing it that way", it doesn't mean it's a good way of doing things.

I understand perfectly well what frame rate means and how it affects the sync issues. What many of you not seem to understand is that the human eye and brain are sensitive to the change. In other words it would be quite fine if I had a slight out of sync that would remain the same for the duration of the entire video - it would not be perceived as such. In my situation the time of an audio event on the scratch track recorded for reference and syncing with a soundtrack is always slightly different. In editing it will lead to syncing be different from cut to cut - i.e. shot 1a-1 mouth opens (relative of the soundtrack, not relative the scratch track, of course its in a perfect sync with a scratch track) slightly sooner than the corresponding sound of the soundtrack, in shot 1c-3 that follows immediately after the mouth opens slightly after the corresponding sound of the soundtrack. Now I cut one frame from the beginning of the clip 1c-3 to make the sync "slightly before", but because it was already "slightly after" or roughly 10% of the time of the frame, after the 1 frame cut it is now 90% ahead of the sync point. Lets say the soundtrack was perfectly aligned to the clip 1a-1, now I have to make a choice how to align the rest of the clips and which clips to compromise. Remember about how sensitive we are to a relative change? This is what makes you squirm when the drummer misses a bit. So a human will notice that the sync is different in clip one from that in clip two, they will notice a hick up. And to remind yet again I am making a music video, not a talky picture. Yesterday client watched a rough cut and they were like - out of sync, even though I know I synced it as well as the Premiere pro would allow me for video – with a frame precision – and at 24 fps it does make difference.

So I asked for help, hoping that people had similar issues and cared enough about quality of their work. I did not expect the sarcasm and viciousness. I did not expect an all girl high school here.

So the only workaround for the most troublesome clips I though of was using retiming tools like twixtor or kronos to create a much higher frame rate clip lets say 48 fps, where, while it's true it guesses the position of the objects as best as optical flow algorithms would let it, I would now get an improvement of twice as much precision for sync.

Oh and by the way if I think it's broken - it's broken. Also, for technology obsessed video geeks you are all pretty damn conservative: "ohh – we are old we have always done it this way – cuz we are old and smart, who are you the whipper snapper who wants perfect sync?"

• 30. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                                    jimclark1947 Level 1

Wow!  I must say your original post wasn't very inviting, but you did get some of the best people here to offer advice and comments.  If you don't know how to use the software then it is not the fault of others that a miracle solution didn't arrive.  But your closing comments were the best.

Good luck.  Hope you get it figured out.

• 31. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                                      dkitsov Level 2

So what makes you think I do not know how to use the software? What part of my posts made you think so? Please stop the vague comments and be specific. At what point of any of my observations was I wrong and what is the correct thing that would right those wrongs?

• 32. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                                        jeremy d. Level 3

The bottom line is, it is a technical limitation of Premiere that you cannot assemble a video sequence in units any smaller than frames. Is there a way to get around this limitation? Maybe, and several posters have made some suggestions in that regard. Other posters have mentioned ways to have avoided the issue in the first place, but there were no thinly veiled attacks. Everyone was very straightforward, everyone was trying to help.

Please try to ignore the parts of this conversation which you find offensive, and just consider the valuable advice herein.

If you find a decent way to get around your sync issue, posting that would be appreciated.

• 33. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                                          teeman52 Level 1

Jim is this shot on what kind of camera and how are you bringing the

audio into your computer. What I am saying to you Jim my singer is

bang on for the full 4 minutes if I needed to use him. The only thing

that comes to mind is I shot some footage with a sony hvrz 7u and

captured by firewire using tape capture, my audio was of a lot because

the capturing process there was drop out in the tape and firewire

capture was a nightmare now I use the Matrox Mini mxo2 and capture

with HDMI and no audio drop and video quality is awesome, so I don't

cut to other shots to cover lip sync only to cover the band.

Teeman

• 34. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                            now I have to make a choice how to align the rest of the clips and which clips to compromise

Or, make a choice to show something else.  If you can't achieve what you want, and the results you can achieve are unacceptable, you'll have to chose a third option.

• 35. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                                              shooternz Level 6
                                                                              They are such devices, just for different applications. Look it up.

I am keen to expand my understanding and  to look up what you refer to,  but I do not know what the "seach term" would be.   Point me in the direction please.

• 36. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?
                                                                                teeman52 Level 1

Jim this is how I align my clips. When I shoot the singer I play the

track I will be editing to back to the singer and basically he mimics

the track as if he was actually singing. I will make him do it 2-4

times with 2 cameras one solid and the other freewheeling but both

cameras are running steady for the 4 takes.  I then capture using my

matrox mxo2 hdmi and i bring the 4 tracks into the same sequence and i

will stack the video with camera audio one at a time and I will line

up the audio by marking the end of first line of lyric and marking

with marker . Then I will go to the track I am going to stack on top

and cut it at end of first line of lyric and stack to the marker. I am

usually about 2- 5 frames out and I will increase the timeline as big

as it gets and move one of the tracks back or ahead depending which

way that track is out about 1 or 2 frames and tweak until lip sync is

achieved then i shoirten each track to the beginning of the tune and

dropin your master music and adjust until you achieve sync then delete

the camera audio tracks.

This is probably not the only way but it works awesome for me.

Teeman

• 37. Re: How to edit video to audio with a sub-frame precision?