5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2010 11:49 AM by zoon_unit

Why is Smart Text Reflow so hard?

zoon_unit Level 1

I honestly can't understand why InDesign's smart text reflow has to be so difficult to set up.  Am I missing something?

First, I can setup smart text reflow by placing a text frame on the master page, but if I do so, then all pages based on that master page are uneditable, since the text frame is on the master page. Choosing the text tool and clicking on any real page does nothing without using the modifier key to edit the master page text frame.  So I've gained the "ease" of smart text reflow, but lost the "ease" of simple text editing.

Of course, I could just place my text frame on the first page of the document instead of the master page, but then smart text reflow still won't work, because I must create TWO pages first, place text frames on both pages, and then thread the two together before I place any text in the first page.

But if I have the "delete empty pages" option turned on in preferences, that second, empty threaded page gets deleted before I even have a chance to place text.  As soon as that happens, smart text reflow quits working.

So it seems I have to:

1) Place a text frame on the first page

2) Go to preferences and turn on smart text reflow, but turn OFF "delete empty pages."

3) Create a second page and place a text frame on it.

4) Thread the two text frames

5) Place my text

6) Go back to preferences and turn on "delete empty pages."

Shouldn't there be an easier way?????

• 1. Re: Why is Smart Text Reflow so hard?
          MT.Freelance Level 4

zoon_unit wrote:

I honestly can't understand why InDesign's smart text reflow has to be so difficult to set up.  Am I missing something?

First, I can setup smart text reflow by placing a text frame on the master page, but if I do so, then all pages based on that master page are uneditable, since the text frame is on the master page. Choosing the text tool and clicking on any real page does nothing without using the modifier key to edit the master page text frame.  So I've gained the "ease" of smart text reflow, but lost the "ease" of simple text editing.

[snip]

There is. You are missing a step.

Set up the master page text frame.

Go to the first document page.

CMD+SHIFT (CTRL+SHIFT on WIN) click on the area of the page that has the text frame to release the text frame from the master.

Add your text and watch as pages are added when you overset the text on page 1.

It works a bit better when you are placing text from an external file, or linking text from an existing story.

HTH

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why is Smart Text Reflow so hard?
            zoon_unit Level 1

Many thanks!  But how in the world did you ever figure that out?  (I'll have to save this note to remind me next time)

It sure seems that text reflow could be made simpler.

• 3. Re: Why is Smart Text Reflow so hard?
              MT.Freelance Level 4

Overriding items on the master pages in order to edit them on a layout page has been a feature for a long time, and I've been known to pick up a trick or two over the years... ^_~

Here is the help topic regarding it (for CS4). There are links on that page if you have other versions of InDesign (such as CS5).

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/InDesign/6.0/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-70f5a.html

NOTE: If you are placing text from an external document or linking from an existing text frame, you do not have to override the master page item. you will get a loaded text cursor with parenthesis (see the screenshot) when you hover over the master page item on the layout page instead of the normal icon (second screenshot).

Screen shot 2010-10-14 at 12.03.35 PM.png Screen shot 2010-10-14 at 12.05.55 PM.png

• 4. Re: Why is Smart Text Reflow so hard?
                peter minneapolis Level 4

zoon_unit wrote:

Of course, I could just place my text frame on the first page of the document instead of the master page, but then smart text reflow still won't work, because I must create TWO pages first, place text frames on both pages, and then thread the two together before I place any text in the first page.

But if I have the "delete empty pages" option turned on in preferences, that second, empty threaded page gets deleted before I even have a chance to place text.  As soon as that happens, smart text reflow quits working.

So it seems I have to:

1) Place a text frame on the first page

2) Go to preferences and turn on smart text reflow, but turn OFF "delete empty pages."

3) Create a second page and place a text frame on it.

4) Thread the two text frames

5) Place my text

6) Go back to preferences and turn on "delete empty pages."

The worst thing about Smart Text Reflow is that it's not so smart about giving feedback, so you don't know how its properties are set until you find that your understanding doesn't match its behavior.

Please submit a format enhancement request, for Smart Text Reflow to provide better user feedback, and whatever other suggestions you have, at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 5. Re: Why is Smart Text Reflow so hard?
                  zoon_unit Level 1

Please submit a format enhancement request, for Smart Text Reflow to provide better user feedback, and whatever other suggestions you have, at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Will do!  I have SEVERAL suggestions for making the UI more user friendly.