• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

COM Object support in 64-bit - Vague and Unclear

Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Coldfusion, your technote/FAQ on Colfdusion 64-bit says : no support for COM INTEROPERABILITY - http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403277.html#_Toc193176418

Can you please elaborate on that in relation to Coldfusion 64-bit?

Does this mean 32-bit COM won't work in 64-bit CF?

Does this mean 64-bit COM will work in 64-bit CF?

Does this mean wrappers around these 32-bit COM objects won't work?

Under what circumstances will <cfobject type="COM"> work in 64-bit applications and why doesn't your coldfusion 9 developer's guide have any mention or elaboration on this for developers who actually READ your documentation?

Don't you think people would need to know, from reading your documentation when working with COM objects, that information like "Coldfusion COM interoperability not supported in 64-bit version" IS IMPORTANT?

Also, a lot of times these COM objects are 3rd party components which the CF programmer did not code themselves, and just have the COM object interfaces to play with - why would you go and assume we would know what COM INTEROPERABILITY covers, and not provide any further elaboration?

Lastly, if elaboration on this is available somewhere in adobe.com, please point me in the right direction.

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want an actual answer from an actual Adobe representative.

You may do better directing your comments to offical Adobe support channels.  Not just a user to user support forum that just happens to be hosted by Adobe and is published as having no direct support connections to Adobe.

But, if you where just ranting to fellow users, carry on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Accordingto Adobe...this is an official support channel...using the term support very losely as i don't think Adobe knows

what that means...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ThreeRavens wrote:

Accordingto Adobe...this is an official support channel...using the term support very losely as i don't think Adobe knows

what that means...

It is an "offical support channel" in that it is a channel Adobe provides for developers to get support from other developers.

But Adobe personal may or may not monitor and responds to question posted here in an offical manner.  Adobe's stance on that seems to change from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they are not going to monitor, then thier "support" (and i use that term VERY loosely) department shouldn't be directing people here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see a citation of where Adobe says this is an "official" support channel, along with the context of the citation.

For all the years I've been here (nine?) this has always been positioned to me as a community support channel with - other than a couple of recent but not-then-backed-up-with-action comments from Adam Lehman - no official input, for the most part.

But still: most questions get answered, I think. No?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an unofficial, ad hoc support channel. The only "official" support channel is the one you get when you interact with Adobe support directly.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software

http://www.figleaf.com/

http://training.figleaf.com/

Fig Leaf Software is a Veteran-Owned Small Business (VOSB) on

GSA Schedule, and provides the highest caliber vendor-authorized

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean "if" you get to interact with Adobe support personnel, not when eheheh

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ThreeRavens wrote:

You mean "if" you get to interact with Adobe support personnel, not when eheheh

Eric

Well... IF one is willing to pay for it (or be lucky enough to work in a large organization that is willing to pay for it).  With a support contract.... it is when not if.  The when depends on the level of the contract one chooses to aquire, but in our case we will have interaction with Adobe ColdFusion support personnel with-in one business day.

But I recognize that this is not really an option for a large group of smaller and|or independant ColdFusion users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Watts wrote:

This is an unofficial, ad hoc support channel. 

I suspect this is the official -- unoffical, ad hoc support channel.

I.E.  This is a channel that Adobe offically provides for developers to get ad-hoc, unoffical support from other developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation