• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 Clipboard Issue (Win 7)

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a copy of PS CS5 installed and i can only paste an image that i copied from before the program was started. When Ps is already started and I copy an image and try to paste it in PS it will paste the image I copied before I started the program not the one I just copied...

It's a pretty annoying situation... not being able to copy and paste once the program is running. I have to shut it down, start it up again to paste the image I want...

Anybody a solution?

I work on: Win 7 ultimate 64 bit - i7 - 8 gigs ram

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 16, 2010 Oct 16, 2010

i had exactly the same issue with clipboard in PS CS5 described by David Dobish above. I solved it by removing Selective Tool (64 bit) Pluging from NIK SOFTWARE. Now clipboard works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 305 Replies 305
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most folks have no problem copying and pasting into Photoshop, so it's not a systemic problem.  I have an 8 GB Windows 7 x64 system, for example, and don't see the problem you are describing.

It most probably is an effect of other applications you are running.  Another application is likely locking the clipboard up and preventing Photoshop from accessing it.  In short, Photoshop is interacting badly with something else you are running.

Try shutting down all other applications you're running, including eMail, utilities that enhance your desktop operation, etc.  You may even want to try temporarily disabling your antivirus software.

Do you run any remote sessions with other computers (e.g., via Remote Desktop or Citrix)?

It's a good idea to learn what is every single application, process, and service that's running on your computer, and why they're there.  This will involve looking over the lists in the Task Manager and doing some internet research.  Also, there are good freeware utilities online that can help you know what applications start when you boot up and log in, such as AutoRuns and ShellExView

Good luck.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, i'm pretty much aware of every single process thats running on my pc and I make shure it are only the ones I allow..

I'll test somethings out (shutting down one bye one) and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur with Noel, this is an external application inetrfering with teh clipboard. Could even be some security stuff blocking the clipboard. Also, in case you are using OpenGL, such issues could indicate a configuration error, where the graphics card and driver are unable to deal with color space and color sampling conversions to provide acceleration...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using openGL on a ati radeon 5850  with latest drivers... Aero is running...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the exact same issue!  It has been driving me nuts.  I can paste something into Photoshop CS5 only if I've copied before I open Photoshop.  I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with 6 Gig RAM.  This was a very recent clean install.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been reading some additional posts on this topic, and saw someone mention that it works in Photoshop CS5 32 bit, but not in 64bit.  That turns out to be correct for me -- I can get the clipboard to function properly in 32bit mode, but not in 64bit mode.

Still hopeful that the 64bit mode issue can get resolved.

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with the original poster, something else running on your system is likely locking up the clipboard.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2010 Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmm  I tried quiting every relevant process but the problem stil persists. I then tried installing PS CS5 on another (older) laptop (also 64-bit) on a Clean Win 7 installation. Core 2 duo and 4 gigs of ram.

The problem is also found on this laptop ... with no extra programs running except microsoft security essentials (but it doesn't help when i shut that down)

So... where does that leave me?

Message was edited by: JanGeloen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot begin to explain why you would see the problem on two different systems, while others (e.g., I) do not see it.  I'm not trying to marginalize your problem, but it certainly isn't seen by everyone.

What are you copying FROM?  Have you tried different sources?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when I don't use opengl the problem is there..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every source there is:

-Printscreen

-Copy from internet using right-click menu

-using ctrl+c on any image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've seen that problem reported, but never seen it ourselves.

Photoshop is pasting content based on what the OS says is available on the clipboard.

So something outside of Photoshop is preventing the clipboard from updating, or keeping stale data on the clipboard -- but we have no idea what that might be.   Other applications or utilities might be involved, or it could be an OS issue, or (less likely) a really obscure bug in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The part that is confusing to me is that the clipboard works fine in 32bit, but not in 64bit. (unless the copy was done before opeing 64bit)

For example:

Start with Photoshop closed.

Copy image A.

Open Photoshop 64bit.

Do a PrintScreen.

Ctrl-N for new file.

Ctrl-V for Paste.

Image A gets pasted.

Close Photoshop 64bit.

Open Photoshop 32 bit.

Ctrl-N, Ctrl-V,

Screen Print gets pasted.

Close Photoshop 32bit.

Open Photoshop 64bit again.

Ctrl-N, Ctrl-V,

Now the Screen Print gets pasted.

It seems to me that the Clipboard is not doing anything special.  Does it distinguish between 32bit applications calling for the image differently than 64bit applications?  Unless I don't understand (and I'm sure I don't) how the Clipboard works, the above sequence would lead me to believe that Photoshop 64bit is the culprit.

I recently built this computer new, and the only software on it is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Adobe CS5, Lightroom, and Microsoft Office 2007.  I have 6 Gig of Ram, and use a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 for video.  I know others are having this issue, so this is very peculiar.

Thanks for the further sleuthing...

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2010 Sep 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience the exact same thing. To the letter... On 2 laptops.

I also regularly take screenshots regularly and this way it is just impossible to work fluently. Why does it work ok 32 bit version and not on 64?

Are you guys sure this isn't a PS 64 bug?

I really don't want to save everything I want to paste because that kinda defeats the purpose of having a clipboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JanGeloen wrote:

Are you guys sure this isn't a PS 64 bug?

It's clearly a bug with something.  But even though you're seeing it in multiple places, please rest assured it doesn't happen for everyone using Photoshop CS5 x64.

Shall we go about describing the differences between your systems (plural) and systems NOT experiencing the problem?

What applications do you have installed.  What antivirus?  What programs are starting when you boot up / log in?

Here's what's starting on my x64 system (courtesy Autoruns), on which the clipboard works just fine:

AdobeAAMUpdater-1.0 (Adobe Updater Startup Utility)

WebDriveTray (part of the WebDrive application for providing access to FTP sites via drive letters).

avast5 (Avast! Antivirus)

StartCCC (ATI/AMD's Catalyst 10.8 video driver control center)

vmware-tray (part of the VMware Workstation virtualization application)

Outlook.lnk (Outlook 2003 eMail client starts up when I log in)

ShellFolderFix.lnk (a small applet called ShellFolderFix that helps position Explorer windows when first opened)

Skype (audio/chat communications program)

WizMouse (a small applet that directs mouse wheel events to whatever app the mouse is over)

Here are my non-Microsoft shell extensions and drag/drop handlers (courtesy Autoruns and ShellExView):

ACE (AMD Desktop Control Panel, part of Catalyst 10.8 video drivers)

avast (Avast! Antivirus Shell Extension)

CirrusShellEx (provides right-click access to the Beyond Compare 3 file comparison application)

ClassicCopyExt (part of the ClassicShell application that adds enhanced dialogs to copy/move operations)

Create ISO Image from directory (part of the ISO Recorder application that provides access to ISO files)

TortoiseSVN (provides right-click access to Tortoise Subversion)

WebDrive (manages drive letters connected by the WebDrive FTP access application)

There are other things, such as services, that could be involved, but let's start by comparing your systems to these and let us know what's common between them but different from the above lists.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll make a list as soon as I have the time to do that.

I just want to add that while PS is running an not painting any new info that is in the clipboard, MS Paint and MS Word are pasting any new info I put in the clipboard at the moment PS 64bit is running (and not pasting any new info) . So, is it fair to say that the clipboard is still accessible and not broken and it's just PS that fails to read/access it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2012 Mar 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem in CS5.5. Except I am trying to save a layer so that i can place it into a new file. My paste option is not functionsing at all, whether by shortcut, right click or edit toolbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2012 Mar 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeanie, have you read through this thread?  There are some plug-ins identified herein that interfere with Photoshop.

If you don't believe you have the problem cause(s) listed above in this thread (e.g., Nik plug-ins, etc.), perhaps it would be a good idea if you would describe exactly what you're doing, down to the mouse movement and keystroke.  There's always the possibility that you expect something to work one way when actually it works another way.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran Autoruns to generate this content, and I'm attaching some

screen shots of what I found in the Logon and the Services Tabs.

Hopefully this sheds some light for someone.

(My machine has the Clipboard issue.)

Logon.jpg

Services.jpg

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2010 Sep 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the listings above, your system is pretty loaded up with stuff, Nick.

Try disabling startup items systematically (especially the stuff common to multiple systems you use) and try the clipboard operations with Photoshop.

Typically, no one program kills performance, but the accumulation of a bunch of them - each of which seemed to have merit at the time - can result in a sluggish, loaded-up system with miscellaneous problems, such as those you're reporting here.  Try to minimize the extra stuff you have installed to just what you really need and use.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are mine. I tried turning the logon programs of but it didn't change the problem.

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reboot after making those changes?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did. (ran msconfig) disabled everything at startup and the problem was still there after reboot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could actually be something that needs to be uninstalled then.  Clearly going down that path for debugging would be more involved, but it may be necessary to recover the functionality.  I know I wouldn't be able to live without Copy/Paste working.

It may seem to you as though it's a lost cause, but again I must stress that the clipboard works for most of us.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines