8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2010 2:59 AM by Linda Nicholls

The colour picker

iheartpies Level 1

Is there any way to get a usable colour picker into Fireworks?

I mean, I have no problem with the OSX colour picker in principle (Omnigraffle have implemented it very well); but in FW it's pretty much unusable.

The problem is two-fold.

a) iThe colour picker works from a different profile than FW (FW isn't colour managed, whereas OSX colour picker uses the monitors profile, even if it's the default one).  I don't care if this is Adobes or Apples problem  from a technical stand-point, but the fact of the matter is that FW has decided to use a colour picker that doesn't actually work with it rather than either developing its own or just using the Adobe one you get in other apps in the suite.  This wouldn't actually be a big problem if the following point didn't exist:

b) Changes don't update in real time (I mean come on), so getting colour changes right is complete trial and error.  Some people like games, but personally when I'm working I like to avoid them.  The PS colour picker is a great tool; but it seems that FW has no interest in the use of colour outside of the 256 grid.  Omnigraffle uses the OSX colour picker and updates changes in real time, so I can only accept this as lazy coding on an essential feature.

Now I'm not expecting someone at Adobe to read this and send me an update in the next couple of days that fixes this glaring issue; but I'm hoping that there's some kind of workaround that fixes either a) or b), perhaps even both!  I'd even be willing to pay for a 3rd party tool to deal with this problem.

Thanks in advance,

n

• 1. Re: The colour picker
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

snap.png

Make sure you have Snap to Web Safe turned off.

• 2. Re: The colour picker
            iheartpies Level 1

Hi,

Cheers, but that isn't the problem and is already turned off

n

• 3. Re: The colour picker
              Linda Nicholls Level 4

Sounds like your problem may be a machine based one rather than a program based one. I'm

Mac based myself amd don't have a problem with selected colors updating.

• 4. Re: The colour picker
                iheartpies Level 1

It's certainly not a problem with myself - I work in an office environment so this isn't isolated

I think perhaps you misunderstand the problem.

The colour will update, just not in real-time.  i.e. if I select a colour in the colour picker (not the FW colour pallette, but the actual colour picker), then the colour will only change on commit; I can't drag the cursor around within the colour picker to gauge the change - unlike in Omnigraffle which also uses the Apple colour picker and updates changes in real-time.  Or like in PS which has a proper colour picker and updates changes in real time.

n

• 5. Re: The colour picker
                  Linda Nicholls Level 4

"i.e. if I select a colour in the colour picker (not the FW colour pallette, but the actual colour picker)"

What do you mean by "in the color picker"?

• 6. Re: The colour picker
                    iheartpies Level 1

Where you pick colours

colourpicker.jpg

Select an object, go to change it's colour, and manipulate the colour picker.  That colour doesn't change until you commit it; so basically you're just flying (half) blind.

• 7. Re: The colour picker
                      Linda Nicholls Level 4

OK. You mean the system color picker. You are right. It will not update the color until you click on OK. Have you tried using the Color Palette panel instead of the swatches panels? It does update the colors live.

picker.png

• 8. Re: The colour picker
                        iheartpies Level 1

Ah, that's exactly what I was after; in fact that whole tool has some nice colour picking options in it.

I've seen this as a common complaint (in reviews/commentary, as well as forums), makes you wonder why they wouldn't have made this more obvious and open by default instead of the system colour picker (which in comparison is useless) ...  you're also the only person that's actually pointed this out!

Thanks for the help, saved me much frustration!

n

btw ... I had to poke around for a little while to actually find this dialogue ... it's almost like Adobe doesn't want you to find it.