Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help - Not able to apply transitions in middle of pictures

Oct 18, 2010 Oct 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to do this before with CS4 and Elements. I only noticed it now but it doesn't allow me to put the video transitions in between the pictures or videos. it only adds them to the end or front. How do I apply it in the middle?

Untitled-2.jpg

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Oct 19, 2010 Oct 19, 2010

Thanks guys it's resolved. There ARE gaps between the pictures. I had to zoom all the way to see it. With the gaps the Alignment options for the transitions are not selectable. I'm just going to redo the project. It's much easier than removing all transitions, deleting the gaps, and then applying the transitions again. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the transition and then go to the Transition Window. which will open

You have the choices of :

Start or End at Cut ..or Centre at Cut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but do you happen to have a screen shot where to select that option? Sorry I'm a noob. When I click on the Cross Dissolve transition in the Effects area on the left, no window opens. If I click on the actual transition in the timeline it will open an Effect Controls window but there are no choices to Start, End at Cut or Centre at Cut.

On a side note, if I create a new sequence and start from scratch I can apply the transitions in the center. If I create a new sequence and copy and paste my original sequence it will do the same and not allow me to add to the center.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry...cant do a screen shot ( but there is probably one in the Help file).

Hunt around in the effects windows when the transition is selected.  It is there.

BTW: are you sure your clips are butted against each other without a gap?

Also: In latter versions of PPRO...you can slide the transition and the ends of it with the mouse drag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the Effects area on the left, no window opens. If I click on the actual transition in the timeline it will open an Effect Controls window but there are no choices to Start, End at Cut or Centre at Cut.

Colin has you on the right issue, but in case you still aren't seeing where to select center, left, and right:

Effect Controls Alignment CS5.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Handles would not apply between the still images.

Make sure there are no gaps between clips.  A gap of one frame will prevent what you are trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good way to tell if you've got a gap (even if you've zoomed all the way in and don't see one) is if Premiere will let you put transitions on BOTH clips butting up to each other... if it will, then you've got a gap. If you can only put a transition on one (i.e., you drop the transition on the second clip and it replaces the transition on the first), then you've got no gaps.

Also, in response to the poster about handles... Yes, it is true that you need handles to have a smooth transition (also true that for still images handles is not relevant). However, even without handles you can still put a transition centered between clips. You will get a warning saying there is not enough footage for the action and that frames will be duplicated... it won't look good as you play it, but it is possible to center a transition on video/audio clips without handles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See that little black triangle at the end of the outgoing audio clip? That means you are at the end of the outgoing clip, and therefore, there are no frames with which to create a transition. You need handles (I suggest searching the help documents for more background ) which are frames that are used to construct the transition. Think of it as an overlap.  Trim the outgoing clip back a few frames (at least half the duration of your intended transition) and reapply the transition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys it's resolved. There ARE gaps between the pictures. I had to zoom all the way to see it. With the gaps the Alignment options for the transitions are not selectable. I'm just going to redo the project. It's much easier than removing all transitions, deleting the gaps, and then applying the transitions again. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and we have a WINNER!

BTW: why redo the whole project.?

Extend the clips or nudge the clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because if I delete the gap or just extend the clip, the transition that's already applied doesn't allow me to extend it over the other picture. It's stuck on one side. Now I have to remove the transition and then reapply it in the center. Double work. Easiest is to just re-import to the timeline and apply the transitions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also just click the transition, Ctrl+X to cut it, adjust the gap (I'd probably right-click and select Ripple Delete, and then Ctrl+V to paste the transition back in place; it will automatically be applied as Center on Cut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great suggestion, i'll remember to do that if i ever have a similar problem. only with this one i have to do a full zoom in the timeline to see about a 1 millimeter gap on my screen. then i have to scroll to the right for all the rest of the pictures. not worth the time and effort. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For locating gaps, besides zooming in (small ones can still not be seen clearly), I like to use the PageUp/PageDn keys. I hit Home to get to 00;00;00;00, and then step through the Timeline, one Clip at a time, with PageUp (and PageDn to go backwards). You will see the CTI jump smoothly from Clip to Clip. If the CTI appears to "hiccup," or "pause," then you have likely found a gap. It does not take long to see the smooth the jump, and the hiccup. At first, you might find that you go back and forth a bit, but after a few gaps, it will be easy to spot.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pr CS5 has the new "Go to Gap" feature.  From the Sequence menu, select Go to Gap and you will have 4 choices:

- Next in Sequence

- Previous in Sequence

- Next in Track

- Previous in Track

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Thank you. That is great to know. I had not progressed that far in CiaB CS5 yet.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same situation too where I have a 9 clip sequence and I had to stretch clip 8 to fit and now I can't center the transition. I've done this before with other projects and the transition applied, I don't see what's different about this one. There is no gap between clips and no option comes up to center transition. I may have to find something in After Effects to cover up this cut transition after this is saved as is. I would just like to know what the mystery is, even if there's no solution but to save it as is and import it into another program for that final transition. deleting my preferences didn't help, closing out and re opening didn't help, deleting and re-adding the last clip didn't help so my only option now is to save as is and put something there on the cut which will no longer be present, just a sharp jump where the transition was supposed to go. I can use a shock wave and a picture with an animation over the transition in After Effects so it doesn't look so sudden. I'm out of bright ideas here.

So it looks like I'm going to have to butcher it... I'll save the PR file in case there's some workable solution in the future and I can then apply the transition and once again save to MP4 format.no control over tranision.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some transitions require handles ... frames of the clip ... to use for the transition. For those, if you've used all the end of the clip on the sequence, they won't work. There are things like applying a clip above & using a transition on the beginning of that that one can do to get around this.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is a link about handles:

Adobe Premiere: Handles and Transitions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines