• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Webhelp output files picking wrong slash for filepaths

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2010 Oct 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use RoboHelp 7.0.2 to generate WebHelp.

We are newly adding support for Linux.

To support the usage of slash (in filepaths) in Linux supported browsers, I changed all '\' to '/' in multiple source files as well in the CSS file.

When I view the WebHelp on a Linux browser, I see link breaks.

Upon analysis, I found out that the files in whdata, whgdata & whxdata are still using '\', which is the cause of the link breaks.

As a temporary solution for a Beta release, I manually (using a search & replace tool) changed '\' to '/' in files that are present in whdata, whgdata & whxdata.

Every time I generate the Webhelp, the problem will reoccur.

How do I resolve this?

Thanks,

PT

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2010 Oct 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have asked a Linux user to look at this and he has kindly offered to run some tests later.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello PT and Peter -

I ran a few tests to see what  happens when opening an RH generated WebHelp project in Mandriva Linux  2010.1 using Firefox 3.6.10 as my default browser. Here is my set up,  sequence and finding.

RH7 WebHelp running on Windows XP Professional.

> I converted an RH X5 WebHelp project to RH7 WebHelp.

> Project has over 500 topics, heavy with images and DHTML drop text.

> I use "index.htm" as the default project page (not the default opening topic).

> I generated to project twice, once without Java, once with Java.

> Copied all generated folders and files to a flash drive.

Linux: Mandriva 2010.1

Browsers in Linux: Firefox and Chromium

Procedure: open flash drive in Dolphin window explorer, navigate to generated project default file (index.htm), select and open in desired browser.

RH7 (no Java applet) gen settings

Conditional Build Expression: none
Additional Options: W3C Compliant Topics

Toolbars: Content, Index, Search, Glossary
(enable) Show Navigation Pane
(enable) Add Breadcrumbs

(enable) Browse Sequence
(enable) Enable Highlights
(enable) Sync TOC

No Java Applet: DHTML > Pure HTML

Optimize Speed: Web Site

(enable) Republish all

Firefox in Linux result: no problems, full functionality

Chromium in Linux: would not open any (local) generated project

RH7 (with Java applet) gen settings

Conditional Build Expression: none
Additional Options: W3C Compliant Topics

Toolbars: Content, Index, Search, Glossary
(enable) Show Navigation Pane
(enable) Add Breadcrumbs

(enable) Browse Sequence
(enable) Enable Highlights
(enable) Sync TOC

Java Applet: DHTML > Java Applet > Pure HTML

Optimize Speed: Web Site

(enable) Republish all

Firefox in Linux result: no problems, full functionality

Chromium in Linux: would not open any (local) generated project

RH9 Beta - B171

I also tested RH9 beta build 171 WebHelp as configured above for no Java: Firefox in Linux had no problems, full functionality.

Question for PT: how are you setting up your Linux to  open the default project page? Are you opening the GENERATED project  default page or trying to open the project source files? Why are you  replacing the foreward-backward slash?

If you are uploading to a Linux server, just copy the entire  generated project folders/files as-is and point your browser to the  default opening page file you named during generation.

Regards,

GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GEWB,

Here are some more details--

Generate Webhelp output setup:

Use lowercase filenames (recomm. for UNIX)

Toolbar buttons: Content, Index, Search

Navigation: Add breadcrumbs links

Additional options: Enable Highlight Search results, Synchronize TOC automatically

Navigation Pane preferred format: DHTML > Java Applet > Pure HTML

Optimize speed for: Web site

Q: how are you setting up your Linux to open the default project page?

A: I use Linux only to launch the webehelp output.

Q: Are you opening the GENERATED project default page or trying to open the project source files?

A: I am trying to open the generated project default page. I copy the Webhelp folder to a Linux machine and launch the index.html page to see the output.

Q: Why are you replacing the foreward-backward slash?

A: In Linux '\' is not supported for hyperlinks/filepaths. Therefore I changed the backward slashes to forward slashes.

The scenario:

When the project files have filepath such as ../../doc/xyz/,

• when I view in Windows (IE)- I can access the link
  • when I view in Linux (FF)- I see broken link with error message somewhat like "cannot find ..\..\doc\xyz\". (Note the changed usage of slash)

This indicates that the generated files changes the forward slash to backward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 20, 2010 Oct 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do the file paths look in your generated help files, as raw HTML in Notepad for example?

- ToC files (whtdata0.htm etc.)

- any topic files that have links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also bear in mind that in source files it is normal to see \ and for RoboHelp to convert it to / in the output. I wonder if the fact you are changing the source is messing with that process.

I'll leave the other points to Linux Rules.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my "untampered" help projects, the output files seem to have the flashes correctly, like when the .hhc file says:

<param name="Local" value="qwert\asdfg.htm">

the whtdata0.htm file points to:

"qwert/asdfg.htm"

and links in topic files point to

<a href="../qwert/asdfg.htm">

I see some back slashes in scrips that seem to be for Breadcrumbs, but I don't know how their syntax works.

Using RH 7.0.2

---

(couldn't edit my earlier post)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PT -

Thanks for this last post as now I think I understand.

What you are seeing with those backslashes has nothing to do with Windows / Linux / *nix path statements - those are part of JavaScript. It was your example that provided the clue: in JavaScript, a string is started and stopped with either single or double quotes.

In JavaScript, the backslash is used to insert apostrophes, new lines, quotes, and other special characters into a text string. If you do a global search and replace from \ to / then the JavaScript will break.

Regards,

GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux Rules,

I suspect you are confusing me with PT (panchamee)...

... but yes, I think a global serch/replace could well break something.

Pertti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, sorry, you're right - that's what happens when I'm up all night because the brain doesn't turn off, then getting up at 4:45 am to try and figure this out!

However, I wonder if my previous post holds the answer.

Regards,

GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary, that is dedication way beyond the call of duty. I hope Panchamee appreciates what you have done.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Peter -

Actually, it was fun. I just hope we found the correct answer - need Panchamee to respond. If the problem remains then it's time to build a new project. However, after today I will not be available until early November.

Regards,

GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bothered me all night...

I need to construct a new project from scratch and use the functions that are causing you this problem. I do recall that X5 did create a similar or same problem and I had to make the same manual correction as you. The test project I used was from that version and I likely had made the correction (years ago) - I'm missing something. I haven't found my notes from then (six years ago) and the old forum threads were wiped by Adobe (I do recall posting a thread about this).

I'll work on it later today.

Regards,

GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp