• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wierd characters iso-8859-1  UTF-8 RH8

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2010 Oct 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 10 projects that all work fine, except this one. On the top of every page the following appears:   , I get the same in IE and FF.  So I deleted my build and created a fresh blank (only welcome topic) project in RH8, same result.  How can they all work except this one, and it's a new blank fresh project?

Sorry if this has been answered before I have read alot of threads and I can't seem to find an answer that works for this project.

Here is what appears on the top of the welcome topic:

The coding a the top of my topic before compiling:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp 8" />

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2010 Oct 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You're seeing the Byte Order Mark (BOM).

See this post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3189093#3189093

Please post back if the other post isn't helpful.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2010 Oct 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so back when I was using RH5 it created HTML pages now with RH8 it creates XHTML pages and thats why all of my old projects work and this new project doesn't, from what I have been reading.  Correct?

Something to do with the code: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> that is automatically generated with each new page by RH8? Find and replace? Any other permanent fixes? Will this happen with every RH8 project I create? If so, I want my money back because I am going to have to go back to RH5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like your server is not set up for UTF-8. You have mentioned ISO8859-1 in your title but not in your post. Is the problem the server setting and can you not change it?

There is an option to output as HTML as well. See Tools > Options.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can't be the server since the other RH Projects work on the server. I am trying your Tools > Options > General tab > Conver RoboHelp edited topics to Html suggestion. I'll let you know if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the others have that code in them?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the HTML option didn't work, I was so hopeful.  Anyways,  this is what the code looks like on the top of every page when using the HTML option:

&#239;&#187;&#191;
<html>
<head>

So removing all of the other meta tags didn't help any. Note that the numbers (#239 etc) display as:  .  It doesn't display when I open the application on my desktop and rememeber it doesn't display for any other projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's step back a bit.

You said at the beginning that the BOM characters appear on the project that is not working. Do you mean you see those in the browser or just in the code? If it is in the browser, please insert a screenshot using the camera icon above.

Do you also see this problem in the generated help on your hard disk?

I asked earlier why you had included ISO-8859-1 in the title. I ask again.

Finally, do you get the problem with the sample projects.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

char.gif

Regarding the iso-8859-1, I've seen that in other posts regarding this problem.

No the characters do not appear in the browser when I run it on my desktop. Once again you would think server, but the other projects work on the same server. I just uploaded an older version created with RH5 and it still works properly on the server. Worst comes to worst I will recreate my changes again in the older build. But it looks like RH8 will never create new projects that will work. Only RH5 converted to RH8 work. Figure that one out.

New info, the plot is thickening...I found this program called Textpad that displays the hidden characters () in the code.  What I learned was that the minute you open an RH5 project in RH8 it converts the pages and adds the characters to every page,   I compared 5 pages of rh5 to rh8.

Also an interesting fact is that this is the only project I have created by importing the RH5 topics.  All other projects were created in RH5 and then opened/converted into RH8.  Also, the new blank test project I created in RH8 didn't work.

Another thing I did to troubleshoot. I opened all of the pages and removed the characters by saving them in Notepad++  (Encoding > Convert to UTF-8 without BOM).  They look fine in Textpad but when you look at the generated files the hidden characters are there.

But back to the part where all projects, including other projects that work have these hidden characters....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again I do think it is the server. All projects work fine locally, one does not on the server. There is clearly something that the server does not like about the one project and that is the BOM. Why it is only affecting this project is less clear. Have you spoken to your IT people about this as that is a matter they will likely understand better.

Did you try the samples as suggested?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2010 Oct 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The BOM are used to determine how the file is encoded. It has nothing to do with the xml declaration. Hence Peter's suggestions about your servers not being configured correctly.

If you want to strip the BOM, follow the links of my previous post. They point to a site with instructions to mass strip the BOM from files.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2010 Oct 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The program Mind Pioneer per WVW really is the best program I tried for stipping/changing UTF-8/BOM:
http://www.mind-pioneer.com/services/633_Replace_text_in_multiple_files.html

I found that the topics and other RH build files have the BOM in them. Something in the stipping messed up the way the TOC displays, it moved it right about 5 char.  But I tested it anyways and it still doesn't work. We now have the IT people looking into it.  I'll let you know if we find a fix. I really don't want to go back to RH5.  Thank you for all of your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2010 Oct 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your IT people can confirm it is the encoding that is causing the problem and if they cannot / will not change it, email me with a link to this topic. There is an Adobe provided file that will encode to other settings.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2010 Oct 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, per your last thread..

If your IT people can confirm it is the encoding that is causing the problem and if they cannot / will not change it, email me with a link to this topic. There is an Adobe provided file that will encode to other settings.

================================

What do you need to know?  How can they confirm it is an encoding problem?

Our configuration is:

Operating System - AIX V5.3
Database - Sybase 12.5.3
Language - IBM Java V1.5.0 SR4
Application Server - Weblogic 9.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2010 Oct 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By advising you whether the server is set up to support UTF-8.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2010 Nov 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding whether the server is setup to handle UTF-8 they didn't configure anything.   At this point I am going to have to switch back to 5 or something else because now RH8 is crashing and not able to read the cpd files of my 10+ projects, it's been 60 days, I wonder if I can still get a refund?  Now I will have to strip all of the files and recreate the projects.  Great fun. Not happy. Why does Adobe have to continually add code to projects for us?

Anyways my problem..I read something interesting about BOM (Byte Order Mark) in wikipedia.org.  It says:

"While Unicode standard allows BOM in UTF-8 [2], it does not require or recommend it"....and

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless I am misunderstanding you, your server has not been set up to handle UTF-8 and you are complaining it doesn't handle it. Well no it wouldn't.

As to why Adobe changed this, I believe it was to enable the support of more languages.

Other users have either got their IT people to support UTF-8 or used a tool that encodes to whatever the server is set up for. However, you have to know what it is set up for and that has not yet been established.

This really does look to be a server problem and it is not causing this headache for others so I would be surprised to see Adobe give a refund at this stage.

Going back is going to be a heck of a task so my tack would be to work with IT and get one of the sample projects working on the server, they are known quantities.

The projects were not crashing before so what has changed. They are run locally? Have you tried deleting the CPD files? Have you made changes to the topics in an effort to fix this problem?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should clairfy, it's acutally not the UTF-8 that's the problem, its the hidden BOM thats the problem. And yes, stripping out the hidden BOM does temporarily fix the problem.  In what version was the UTF-8 information added?  Maybe I could get V7 to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to tell you but I think it was in RoboHelp 7 so that will not help you.

At one point you had nine projects working and this rogue.

Can you at least get back to that stage?

You did say this is the only project where you imported rather than upgrading. Any reason you cannot upgrade rather than import?

Clutching at straws but could there be something different about the folder on the server for this project?

I encountered a different BOM problem with FF and that turned out to be server related. I don't think it is the same thing but maybe something in the text might ring a bell with your IT people. I've highlighted one point. Doubt it could be that simple but...

This is what I was advised by the company hosting my site.

"I would therefore conclude that the solution to this problem (on Linux systems running Apache) is to add the AddDefaultCharset utf-8 directive to either the Apache config or the site .htaccess file. The advantage of the latter is that it only affects individual sites. The default Apache character set is taken from the locale file on Linux and defaults to iso-8859-1. It is the conflict between the Apache header with iso-8859-1 and the page character set of utf-8 that obviously causes Firefox a problem."

In a forum post Chrissy_Tissy added

My machine is Windows, but this fix still worked  - some notes about making the fix visible:

1. Do the fix itself (httpd.conf: AddDefaultCharset utf-8).

2. Restart the box to apply the fix.

3. Once the box is restarted, clear your cache in FireFox to make sure you don't continue to see the cached file.

Once all this is done you will see the output content as expected.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2010 Nov 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since we're not using Apache, no htaccess file.  That was one of the first things I thought to look at, oh well.

The fix I am going to use was just provided to me by Adobe it's called: RoboHelp 8 Encoder Tool. It's fast and easy to use. Select the webhelp output folder, UTF-8 and clear the Include BOM check box. Apparently I'm not the only one having problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2010 Nov 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is the file I mentioned on 25 Oct but you were adamant that it was not the encoding.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp