Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

query, email addresses and Outlook

Engaged ,
Oct 21, 2010 Oct 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a query that returns a list of email addresses.  I want to populate the to or cc field in Outlook programmatically?  How can I do this?  I'm trying to find a way to open the user's email client and put the email addresses from my query into the cc field ideally.

Any way to do this?

I know this:  <a href="mailto:me@abc.com">me@abc.com</a> will work, but that works because it's a hyperlink.  Is there another way to simulate a hyperlink being clicked?

-ws

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WestSide wrote:

I'm trying to find a way to open the user's email client and put the email addresses from my query into the cc field ideally.

Any way to do this?

Basic answer is NO!

Once you ever, as a developer of web applications that run on a server, say anything like: "open the user's {blank} client" you have overstepped the bounds of client server applications.  If we, web developers, could open what ever client tools we wanted, just imagine the havoc nefarious web developers (aka hackers) could do.

But you can provide links, that if the client has chosen configure their system to do so, would open the client tool request.  I.E. for e-mail you could provide a "mail to" link with the proper suggestions for from, to, cc, subject etc.

http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I ended up getting it to work via the form tag.  I used "mailto" in the action attribute of the form tag.

-ws

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation