• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anomaly in WebHelp index on Safari?

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2006 Jun 01, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In WebHelp index items that have multiple pages of related info (indicated by <item name> 1 2 3 4 5 etc), a dot (.) appears at the lower left side of a page number after it has been clicked. This dot appears to be at least a temporary indicator of the number just selected. I say temporary, because it does not remain displayed after various user actions are performed (window resized, iconified/deiconified, etc.). Anyone know anything about this dot (.) indicator and what its intended purpose is?
Thanks much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 02, 2006 Jun 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just guessing--

It would help me to see fast feedback on which page I clicked when the page numbers are close together and it's easy to click the wrong one.

I hadn't noticed this, but will look at it later at home.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2006 Jun 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harvey, thanks for being willing to investigate. This is actually another query (like my one about the WebHelp start page format) that I'm asking because of another user -- in this case, someone in my QA group. They wondered if the telltale dot (.) might disappear after a screen refresh b/c it's actually part of an underlining that wasn't erased. Could be -- or could just be serving that "fast feedback" function you describe. Anyway, let me know what you find out, and thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 09, 2006 Jun 09, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gimkrak,

At home I have OS X 10.2.8. We haven't upgraded to 10.3, or later, so I don't know what's changed.

I do not see the Index as you see it.

Each index term displays as a click-link if there's only one topic to see.
For two or more topics linked to one index term, the topic names appear, indented, under the term (which is not alink). Each topic name is a click-link.

The only anomaly is that the alphabet initial letters don't show up throughout the index list. For example, I see

a1
a2
(indent) topic 1 for a2
(indent) topic 2 for a2
a3

b1
b2
etc

instead of

A
a1
a2
(indent) topic 1 for a2
(indent) topic 2 for a2
a3

B
b1
b2
etc

At the top, I see initials A to Z that scroll the index for me.

When I click Search, the column displays the entire list of terms, like the index, except with topic numbers as links, rather than names.

I do not see the dot(.) that you describe.

Also, to repeat, I am displaying WebHelp from the hard drive because I don't have a server environment for Mac. Don't know if this is relevant.

I've done some patches around the left pane display in Windows, but haven't had time to fiddle with them in Mac OS.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2006 Jun 09, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Harvey, you helped a lot! Really appreciate the effort. Sounds like you saw exactly what I saw, minus the dot (.). Hmmm. Well, I'm going to suggest that QA put this one in their "X-Files" bucket until further notice. ;>

Thanks again,
-- Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp